PDA

View Full Version : How we think

Sparky16
21-11-18, 21:54
Today I was helping a colleague move some heavy boxes with a handtruck. The boxes were heavy, and they wanted to tip forward when I tried to tilt the handtruck back. I'm short, so I was stretching out, with my right foot on the handtruck to anchor it, my right hand trying to tilt the handtruck back, and my left hand trying to hang on to the top of the boxes so they didn't just topple off the front end of the truck. I was sort of crouched down, trying to make this all happen at once, and I sort of got stuck because I couldn't push myself out of the crouch I was on just my left leg, lost my balance, and fell backward on my behind like a toddler. Kept the handtruck in the correct position and didn't lose the boxes, though! It was pretty funny.

So immediately I start thinking about how I couldn't push myself back up from that crouch with on just my left leg. Then I start thinking, maybe I have some kind of muscle weakness...must be something neurological, right? After all, I fell over.

I mean, it can't be just because I'm overweight, out of shape, and was in a rush to catch up with my co-worker down the hall. And never mind that I had already moved the boxes and the handtruck from the library to the hall doors without any difficulty a few minutes before when I wasn't rushing. Nope. Gonna worry about neuro stuff all holiday weekend. :doh:

Carys
21-11-18, 22:13
Ummm, let me break something additional to you here, a single-leg squat (in this case getting up using one leg) is very very hard. So, you were literally trying to get up from crouching using one leg? If so.....it is part of very hard training routines for people who are very athletic and incredibly hard for anyone else to do! So, quit worrying, most of us don't stand a chance in whatsit of getting up using one leg from crouching.

Sparky16
21-11-18, 23:37
Ummm, let me break something additional to you here, a single-leg squat (in this case getting up using one leg) is very very hard. So, you were literally trying to get up from crouching using one leg? If so.....it is part of very hard training routines for people who are very athletic and incredibly hard for anyone else to do! So, quit worrying, most of us don't stand a chance in whatsit of getting up using one leg from crouching.

I wasn't all the way down, but I got down past the point where I personally, could straighten up. Also, I'm right handed, so the left leg is definitely not my strong one.

I didn't know single leg squats were that hard - I thought it was just me. I guess I spend too much time with people who do Crossfit competitions and teenagers who can do that Shoot the Duck skating move on alternating sides, over and over.