PDA

View Full Version : Hi, Please can you help me?? I need advice!!

paktar
11-01-05, 15:10
Hi,

Sorry for the long e-mail but I need help. I caanot cope and I am worried. My name is Polin and I am 26 years old. I have a phobia of dying. I had this since I was 12 or 13 I have never had treatment for it and kept it quite and told nobody about it. I worry about all illness like flu, fever etc and I used to think I was going to die. I would avoid the number 13 on the clock becuase if I saw that I would think I was going to die. I had to turn the light on/off three times so that I would not die. It stopped when I was about 19 and recently I feel ill and it was nothing serious and I recovered. However, the other day I was helping my brother who is 11 with his homework and he was doing an article about orphan kids and this has triggered a thought about my parents. I kept thinking what will happen if they die. Who would look after my brother. I had an panic attack but stopped after awhile. However, the next day I was searching the film White Voices and came across a website and a person put a message where they contacted thier dead daughter. At that moment I had another attack about my parents, they worse thing is that I keep thinking that I have contacted this girl and she will hurt my parents. To make matters worse for me my watch ran out of battery and stopped working and now I think that this is a sign and that my parents are going to die. Same date, time etc.... Even if I tell myself this is silly I can't stop myself. I keep getting panic attacks. The first couple days were the worst I had them for hours and now I get them every couple hours. At night it is the worst. I aviod watches and I don't leave the computer on. I have to turn it off even if i leave the room for two seconds thinking something will happen. I check my room for any unusal messages on walls, floor etc. Please can you tell me if I am being silly or is there something wrong with me. It is affecting my life really badly....I have not told my parents about this or anyone. I have even considered requesting my parents don't travel together or make long journey anywhere.

seh1980
11-01-05, 16:01
hello Polin,

No, you are not being silly even though your thoughts certainly are silly! Even though the thoughts you are having seem very real to you, they are NOT going to come true. It sounds like you suffer from OCD and even though it may be hard to tell people about your problem, you really should do as there are people out there who can help you. What about going to your GP and explaining what you are going through?

Sarah :D

Meg
11-01-05, 18:41
Hi Polin,

The great news is that you know that having had this before and it spontaneously went that it can do it again too and disappear.

Its common for youngsters to try to exert control by any means they can and this often invoves superstition and counting. THisnis often concerning safety of themselves or family so you are in good company. This can be the preamble to OCD or it may not be.

These issues are very real to you even though rationally you know they are just thoughts and by thinking and dwelling on them you are keeping them alive and giving them energy so they flourish.

One of the ways to try to get over it is to definately defy one of the thoughst processes you have so do leave the room for 2 mins several times an hour one day without switching off then 5 mins several times another hour and prove to yourself that nothing has gone wrong.

We are very vulnerable to the power of suggestion form www's or movies etc as the virtual world looks so real and I'm sure that your panics are directly related to things you see or read or think about that you then dwell on further and make up and 'what if' that suits to feed your current fears and even elaborate on them .

The night is always worst for irrational fears as we are more aware of and have more time to dwell and are not as busy or distracted.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

vernon
11-01-05, 19:46
hi, welcome to the site. so sarry to hear your problems but i assure u they are quite common lots on this site are the same as you. Well you will get lots of help here everyone is very friendly.
take care Vernon

nomorepanic
11-01-05, 21:31
Hi Polin

Just wanted to welcome you aboard the forum.

The only way we learn to cope with these sort of things is by letting them happen. Like Meg said, leave the computer on for 5 minutes to prove that nothing will happen and I am certain it won't.

Try not to feed the fears but confront them and prove to yourself that nothing bad will happen.

I know that in films it appears that people can make things happen but we can't in REAL life.

It is just a phase that you are going through and you can face it and realise that nothing bad is going to happen.

We can help all we can ok?

Nicola

paul
12-01-05, 00:36
hello paktar,i can totally sympathise with your prob,i myself have ocd and the intrusive thoughts is really frustrating,i flick switches and do 'rituals'to try and battle the thoughts,i do things to stop bad things happening too.

i echo what meg said and try and expose the problem by resisting,ive had some success wtih this in the past,its tough but possible,i also get attacks which dont help ,but there are options,try and get treatment of some kind,im waiting for some myself as i still have probs,but hang in there ,hopefully things will get better,like you said youve overcome it before.

good luck anyway

paul