PDA

View Full Version : A new anxiety!...

Tiatyrah
23-11-18, 10:44
I have a new anxiety.. Lung cancer. I have smoked for 14 years now (yes its stupid but so hard to quit). But I have these periods of a few days a month that I wake up in the middle of the night, coughing and a difficulty in breathing for a few minutes. I have to sit up or stand up and drink some water, if I lie down again, the coughing gets worse again. Also I have a pain under my right ribs the last few days that I first thought it's because of my IBS but now I am not so sure.. I'm 27 and only have these coughing attacks in the night, not during the day. Is this lung cancer related? Anyone have or has had the same? I'm driving myself crazy..

Clarice1
23-11-18, 10:50
It could be a lung infection or just smoker's cough. My cough magically cleared off when I gave up smoking ten years ago!

Tiatyrah
23-11-18, 13:25
I have had these cough attacks for a few years now, like once a month or once in the 3 months but it scares me, wondering if it's lung cancer that I have.

I have tried several times to quit smoking but keep failing, longest I was without smoking was 6 months and also during that time I had this cough during sleep.

BlueIris
23-11-18, 13:38
Probably worth checking in with your GP just to be safe, but it sounds to me as though it might be a reflux issue?

Tiatyrah
23-11-18, 14:05
I have reflux issues often. My stomache is a mess because of the years of ibroprufen use I did years ago. Maybe I should try and take omeprazol daily, see if that helps..

Fishmanpa
23-11-18, 17:24
With your fear and anxiety over it, it's quite obvious what you really need to do :shades:

Positive thoughts

Tiatyrah
23-11-18, 17:30
That's the thing Fishmanpa, going to the doctor with this is scary, what if the result is actually lung cancer? I've read when I was on Google for my lymph nodes anxiety that people with cancer that is in a high stage, get sick and die fast after the diagnose..

Carys
23-11-18, 17:39
That's the thing Fishmanpa, going to the doctor with this is scary
Ummm no, he's saying its obvious that you need to give up smoking ! :yesyes: If you are THAT afraid of lung cancer, and you smoke, then you have an easy way to allay your fears. Give it up and see if your coughing improves. Mind, I gave up, errrrr, 16 years ago after having smoked for 15 years and I coughed more for a few months as all the cr*p in my lungs came up. I'm no lunch cancer expert by any stretch of the imagination, however, I do know someone with lung cancer and it isn't there sometimes and there not other times.

Sparky16
23-11-18, 21:20
Wow, you have been smoking since you were 13? Your cough sounds more like acid reflux, but I agree with Fishman, time to quit! Do they have smoking cessation aids like Chantix or Zyban where you are? One of my coworkers tried several times to quit, but didn't succeed until she tried Chantix. I had seen her prior attempts and failures, and I was pretty impressed by how much the medication helped her.

gradually_suddenly
23-11-18, 21:42
I literally just wrote a post about this and we are about the same age. Quit NOW! I read that coughing can last a few weeks or months after you quit completely. I am paranoid too :( my cough is dry and tickly

Fishmanpa
23-11-18, 22:22
Ummm no, he's saying its obvious that you need to give up smoking ! :yesyes: If you are THAT afraid of lung cancer, and you smoke, then you have an easy way to allay your fears. Give it up and see if your coughing improves.

Exactly. I can tell you first hand that smoking WILL cause issues if you continue. I used an e-cig to quit. I weaned myself off the nicotine over a period of three months.

I know it's hard, I smoked for over thirty years (Cigs, pips and I was a cigar lover before I quit). I did it and it was hard but to have this fear and still light up is ludicrous. Talk to your doctor. There are meds, patches etc. that can help you break the habit. You'll feel better and SMELL better! :yesyes:

Positive thoughts