PDA

View Full Version : Oral cancer fear

SRaihala
26-11-18, 04:24
So I have my routine dentist appointment coming up and it looks like at this checkup they are doing an oral cancer screening. Well as soon as I heard they would be screening for cancer I became CONVINCED that they will find it. I am freaking out.

It's completely ridiculous. I have no symptoms of oral cancer but I know that cancer often shows no symptoms until it is too late. Of course I had to google it. I thought, being only 27, I would be reassured that oral cancer is rare at my age. But no. Apparently the disease is growing among young people as well as old. Especially for smokers and drinkers. I have never smoked a day in my life but I do like to have a couple glasses of wine every evening. This wine drinking has gone on for about 5 years.

It is SO irrational but I feel like if I cancel my dental appointment, or at least the screening part of it, life can go on as normal. But if they do the screening, they will find cancer and I'll be dead within 6 months. I can't think straight. Any reassurance would be much appreciated!