PDA

View Full Version : Driving test in two days - help!

Lissa101
27-11-18, 09:49
Hey all, I have my first driving test (at the grand old age of 37) on Thursday and I'm already freaking out about it. Usual thoughts -what if I pass out/have a heart attack/lose my mind/do something ridiculous/crash the car.

Anyone with panic/anxiety got any tips on how to cope with the nerves on the day? Thanks! :) x

vicky23
27-11-18, 10:47
Hi,
congratulations on taking the step. I'm in the middle of learning since May and I still get very anxious before each lesson.
Here are some things I do:
Breathing techniques/meditation- loads of different examples of these on youtube
question the what if thoughts and come up with more rational self talk. If the thoughts are bad then I might write some stuff down. For example, what if I fail? Becomes so what if I fail? Lots of people fail on the first go and although I'd be disappointed it's not the end of the world, I learned from the experience and will try again.

I really hope it goes well, let us know how you get on!
All best wishes
X

Lissa101
29-11-18, 20:30
Hey Vicky,

Thanks for your reply. I passed! With only two minors. Phew!

It's really hard for folks like us that struggle with anxiety. Lessons were tough for me, I stressed like crazy before each and every one. But I think it's better to be over anxious than over confident. Good luck with your lessons, believe in your abilities and you'll be just fine X

pulisa
29-11-18, 20:54
Congratulations, Lissa!! Really well done!!

It'll be a big step driving "solo" now but take it slowly and you'll find you grow in confidence with every journey. You must feel very proud of your success and first time too!

Darksky
29-11-18, 21:30
Hey, just caught this thread.
Very well done...proud of you :)

Just keep it up, keep driving. I'm in the position of daring to start all over again at 61. Grab hold of that licence and never stop. The freedom is something I crave for.

Well done again xx

BikerMatt
29-11-18, 21:50
Very well done:yesyes: That's brilliant!!!!

Just think you can go where you want and when you want.

FREEEEEEEEDOM!!!!

vicky23
30-11-18, 16:07
AAwww woohoo such fantastic news!! Only 2 minors is amazing! Massive well done
And thank you for your kind wishes I hope I do as well as you did!

Lissa101
27-12-18, 16:44
Soooo.....I've had a car for a week now. And it coincided with horrible anxiety relapse but I spent so much time, money and tears on lessons that I decided to get out and drive everyday. I really dont want to develop weird anxiety issues around driving. First day on my onw was a nightmare....dented the front bumper (lucky its only an £800 car...), drove the wrong way up a one way street causing a bus driver to have to reverse and ended up going a really long way home because I lost my bottle to turn right at a congested roundabout.

BUT! On day 2 I got my act together and I've drove two or three hours every day and had zero problems. I'm starting to feel really confident and I look forward to getting in the car every day. My friends and family (and dog) are still kinda terrified passengers though hehe.

Good luck finishing your lessons Vicky! And Darksky, I hope you go for it x

Darksky
27-12-18, 17:53
:yesyes:
Great stuff. Next year ( not so far off) I am going to do it. That taste of freedom eh? It's what I want. Keep it up, what's a little dent between friends.