PDA

View Full Version : 5mg Valium effect

Alde
27-11-18, 21:39
Hi all!

Found this forum on Google while browsing for info on diazepam.

I took my first pill tonight, 5mg, as my anxiety has gotten crazy.

I felt great after about 30 mins, very relaxed and happy, but after about another hour it had almost completely worn off and I was back to being anxious. Is this usually the case?! I was expecting abit more as I was told it would help me sleep!

Cheers!

Al

Phill2
28-11-18, 00:56
I take 5mg twice daily and it seems to get me through without any noticeable dropping off.

BikerMatt
28-11-18, 14:43
Diazepam is great for anxiety, but i'm the same as you as in it soon drops off.

You're lucky your GP gave you some as they don't like to prescribe it over here.

Out of interest how much/many did your GP prescribe?

clio51
28-11-18, 19:15
Matt

My doc prescribes me diazepam I get 28 x 2mg now I was on 5mg but I lowered it .
when needed. I went through a really bad
Time with anxiety which turned into depression again.

Phill2
28-11-18, 23:36

You're lucky your GP gave you some as they don't like to prescribe it over here.

My Dr gives me 100 x 5mg tabs with 3 repeats bit it's also as a muscle relaxant for my back pain.

Sandra1980
29-11-18, 00:10
My gp gives 42-2mg when I need them,i only really use them for severe panic attacks which don't happen very often because I'm on disability and don't need to do things that cause me panic attacks very often so they last me for a while.

Alde
29-11-18, 09:40

Hi Matt,

My GP prescribed me 10 5mg tablets.

The idea is just to use them until my fluoxetine kicks back in as I recently came off it on the advice of my GP as my anxiety had subsided. I relapsed badly after about 8 weeks off of it. I’ve been back on the fluoxetine for 10 days now so hoping it’ll kick back in within the next couple of weeks.

Once the Valium wears off at the moment after about 60-90 mins my heart starts racing again which I’m hoping is not a side effect!

Thanks for the replies.

Al

Darksky
29-11-18, 15:48
I only have a couple of strips every five years...yeah I know, I'm really hard core lol....they are for emergencies only.

I get about 4 hours out of a pill but we are all different I suppose in the way our bodies process stuff.

Chronic911
26-02-19, 08:17
I have been on benzos for nearly 30 years. Pray you never become tolerant to this drug. The withdrawal is worse than heroin. I spent 8 years on xanax, 11 years on klonopin, and the last 12 years on valium and now the drugs do not really work anymore for me. In hindsight, I wish I had never laid eyes on these drugs. Try to take no more than 2 weeks straight or PRN. I am telling you, trying to withdraw from these drugs is almost impossible even doing an ultra slow taper, often over several years for many ppl. Good luck but be very careful!

Dimdim
03-08-19, 09:42
jesus yeah never gonna use these drugs

Sandra1980
03-08-19, 18:12
My doc gives me 2mg but I use 5mg for when my for anxiety is really bad my doctor knows that I do this last month I took 3 5mg a day for 6 days because my anxiety was really bad and it didn't make me sleep any more than usual,but at the moment I have been on 3 a day for 10(my doctor also knows about this)days for a muscle spasm in my back and all
I have did is just about nothing but sleep for a week,I can't get out of my bed right now but it's working for my back so I'm going to stick with it.

RadioGaGa
04-08-19, 21:13
Everyone reacts differently to medication. Diazepam is a long acting benzo.

Sometimes people experience a "paradoxical reaction", where they'll have increased anxiety etc from taking a benzo.

There are other anxiolytics out there so if you feel the diazepam isn't of much help, see your GP

fishman65
16-08-19, 21:28
I have been on benzos for nearly 30 years. Pray you never become tolerant to this drug. The withdrawal is worse than heroin. I spent 8 years on xanax, 11 years on klonopin, and the last 12 years on valium and now the drugs do not really work anymore for me. In hindsight, I wish I had never laid eyes on these drugs. Try to take no more than 2 weeks straight or PRN. I am telling you, trying to withdraw from these drugs is almost impossible even doing an ultra slow taper, often over several years for many ppl. Good luck but be very careful!I thought I was on my own with long term benzo addiction. I've been on diazepam since March 1992. It started on 2mg a day then crept up to 10mg. That's what its been for about 24 years now. I've been tempted to take bigger doses for special occasions but the GP would question why I was putting my repeat script in earlier.

beautifulfreak77
16-08-19, 21:48
I take 3x5mg a day I don’t feel that they stop after a while but it’s no where near enough to get me out to do what I want to do I’m agoraphobic I can goto close places with someone but not out of my town and it’s not a big place....used to be on 60mg but they won’t give me that now

fishman65
16-08-19, 23:38
You're on slightly more than me then beautifulfreak and I'm sorry you struggle too. 60mg is quite a dose I must say. I used to occasionally take 30mg for tough situations, either that or alcohol. I'm agoraphobic too at times, more so if it's somewhere I HAVE to go. Can I also say you are not a freak, not at all :hugs:

beautifulfreak77
17-08-19, 00:11
You're on slightly more than me then beautifulfreak and I'm sorry you struggle too. 60mg is quite a dose I must say. I used to occasionally take 30mg for tough situations, either that or alcohol. I'm agoraphobic too at times, more so if it's somewhere I HAVE to go. Can I also say you are not a freak, not at all :hugs:

Yes 60mg was quite a few years ago before when they dished them out a lot easier than now. Now it’s hard to get them but I always argue with my psychiatrist if it works what’s the problem. It has helped me to go out locally and sometimes if I’m just home il only take 5mg so I can save some back for maybe a bigger journey or a more stressful situation...aww thanks for saying I’m not a freak, I am a little haha but it’s a song by the eels and someone one day said it was me, so it was a bit silly though as people probably think I’m bigheaded and think I think I’m pretty and I don’t, it’s fine not fishing for compliments just a case of no didn’t really think the name through properly :roflmao:

fishman65
17-08-19, 00:21
Well I didn't want to say anything in case you thought it was inappropriate and I didn't think you were fishing for compliments. However I'd best not say anything else in case it's misinterpreted if you follow. Don't want to get booted off the site :ohmy:

panic_down_under
17-08-19, 00:51
I thought I was on my own with long term benzo addiction. I've been on diazepam since March 1992. It started on 2mg a day then crept up to 10mg. That's what its been for about 24 years now.

Are you on any other medication for GAD?

panic_down_under
17-08-19, 00:59
I take 3x5mg a day I don’t feel that they stop after a while but it’s no where near enough to get me out to do what I want to do I’m agoraphobic I can goto close places with someone but not out of my town and it’s not a big place....used to be on 60mg but they won’t give me that now

This is were the exposure part of cognitive behavioural therapies could make a significant difference. Is CBT/REBT therapy an option where you live?

fishman65
17-08-19, 21:46
Are you on any other medication for GAD?I take venlafaxine and mirtazapine, also propranolol.

panic_down_under
18-08-19, 00:14
I take venlafaxine and mirtazapine, also propranolol.

You might get more out of the venlafaxine if you can slowly cut back on the diazepam as there is good *evidence benzodiazepines block hippocampal neurogenesis, the mechanism by which ADs produce the therapeutic response.

* Boldrini M (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4374628/), 2014; Nochi R (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23963779), 2013; Sun Y (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23639432), 2013; Song J (https://www.kurzweilai.net/how-the-brains-stem-cells-find-out-when-to-make-new-neurons/comment-page-1#comment-96481), 2012; Wu X (http://www.biologicalpsychiatryjournal.com/article/S0006-3223(09)00106-1/abstract), 2009; Stefovska VG (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18991352), 2008).

fishman65
18-08-19, 16:09
Oh right, though the depression is much less evident these days so something must be working. Anxiety still does what it wants though.

beautifulfreak77
18-08-19, 19:39
Well I didn't want to say anything in case you thought it was inappropriate and I didn't think you were fishing for compliments. However I'd best not say anything else in case it's misinterpreted if you follow. Don't want to get booted off the site :ohmy:

No it’s all okay, you can say what you like to me, well you know within the rules lol of this place, it’s coming out wrong but I hope you know what I mean :doh:

beautifulfreak77
18-08-19, 19:45
This is were the exposure part of cognitive behavioural therapies could make a significant difference. Is CBT/REBT therapy an option where you live?

Yes i have done cbt twice it didnt help for years then oneday it kind of clicked as I couldn’t even go out locally then so I started just doing short walks with my children/dog then bit longer,then going to local shops and gradually I’ve got round to going around the whole town and in shops and buildings that I couldn’t before, I can’t drive, and I can’t go on trains I went on a bus last year with my daughter it wasn’t easy but it’s the keeping at it,I just feel to low and depressed to think of going out,I’m the one if you don’t recognise me that was talking to you about mianserin... maybe when I’m not so low il try again.

panic_down_under
19-08-19, 04:00
i have done cbt twice it didnt help for years then oneday it kind of clicked as I couldn’t even go out locally then so I started just doing short walks with my children/dog then bit longer,then going to local shops and gradually I’ve got round to going around the whole town and in shops and buildings that I couldn’t before, I can’t drive, and I can’t go on trains I went on a bus last year with my daughter it wasn’t easy but it’s the keeping at it

Well done!! :yesyes: Yes, it is important to keeping working on it to remain on top of agoraphobia and anxiety generally. Unfortunately, knock out blows are uncommon, it's mostly a matter of putting on the gloves anew each morning and staying in the anti anxiety fight.