PDA

View Full Version : Secretly petrified

Granny Primark
29-08-07, 10:34
As most of you know my daughter is due to have a baby in just over a months time.
Well tomorrow shes starts 1 of 4 weekly classes to the maternity unit.
Theyre 2 hour classes and start at 2pm and finish at 4pm. (rush hour)
Ive promised il take her and stay with her as her partner will be working.
Ive been secretly worrying now for the last few weeks. How can I cope with 2 hours at the hospital and more scary, the traffic is horrendous at 4pm and ive got a huge fear of traffic jams.
As the weeks and days have got closer the fear has got worse.
Im scared that at the last minute il chicken out just like i did with my holiday 2 years ago.
I havent told a soul about my fears as my friends and family think im doing great contolling my panic attacks.
I keep thinking JFDI but its easier said than done.
Ive been doing things recently that im really proud of, im so scared now that tomorrow il let my daughter down.
Shes so looking forward to going to the classes.
Any suggestions please as to how i can do it?
Im shaking just thinking about it.

Take care
LYNN xx

SammiB
29-08-07, 10:41
Hey Lynn

I think you'll be fine, just realise how great you are already doing,
i think you should at least attempt it and what better place to be in if you have a panic is in the hospital. lol

heres a little motivation

Panic is
A sure fine way to ruin my day
Just as soon as i'm on top of my life
there you are again
But don't react now,
you can't go back now
Don't panic Panic
LYNN just look ahead now

And you should look forward to your new grand daughter,

Just think that you will be doing it for her, and be armed with relaxation techniques and rescue remedy.

You never know what the traffic is going to be like, so just imagine its all going to be fine

It'll all be great and hope you have a good time

xxxx

Paddington
29-08-07, 11:20
Hi Lyn hun:hugs: your fears are my fears too so i know where you are coming from.Last year my daughter got a new job in a school..NO BUS ROUTE!!!:ohmy: So i knew i would want to take her and had all the same fear as you hun..honest..terrified ..thought i would panic..etc..well i made sure that in my car i have ..lavender oil..cold water..my valium[just in case:wacko: ]also a drop of brandy in water..or rescue remedy..a calming cd would be good too[paul mckenna is fab:) ]now i put all these things in a purse [with a giraffe on it:D ]hangin off my indicater so ican see it and it makes me feel safe ..and it works hun..i still dont go much further than the school and back.[.rush hour traffic or what:mad: ]and hope to push my boundaries further some day..i hope this helps hun..you know where i am if you need a natter.Remember..it is the fear of the fear that stops us doing stuff hun..love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

BarbedSpirit
29-08-07, 14:47
hey,
try not to think of it as a hospital with sick people but a place where new life begins and happy things happen.
Barbedspirit

Alabasterlyn
29-08-07, 16:21
I think once you get over the anticipatory anxiety and actually get involved with the classes that any thoughts of anxiety will go.

I have to say I am very much a worrier about this kind of thing too. When my daughter in law gave birth last Sunday I was worried sick that I wouldn't be able to cope with going to the hospital and sitting in there for an hour and a half. I actually surprised myself how well I did and the time flew past so quickly that when it was time to leave I was so preoccupied with things that I actually wanted to stay longer!

I actually found it so much easier than I had thought that I was able to also go the next day too, which for a pretty much housebound agoraphobic I thought was quite an achievement.

I am sure you can do it and it's just this awful thinking about it beforehand that is causing all this anxiety :hugs:

groovygranny
29-08-07, 18:52
Hi Lynn,

Ooh, not long now eh?!:winks:

Yes, Just Flippin' Doing It is easier said than done - but it can be done....and you can do it.

Don't let the anticipation rob you of your successes so far.

Just take one small step at a time - not forgetting to congratulate yourself before taking the next one!

Maybe have a quiet 'mum and daughter' word?? I'm sure your daughter wouldn't want you anxious over this.

big hugs

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

:flowers::flowers:

trac67
29-08-07, 20:11
Lyn

Good luck for tomorrow remember you can JFDI the anticipation is always far worse than the actual event.

Just chat to your daughter all the time on the way there and think that you are doing it for you, your daughter and your future grand daughter.

I look forward to reading how it went in the success forum :yesyes:

Love

Trac xxx

Granny Primark
29-08-07, 22:04
Thanks everyone for your encouragement.
I decided to tell my daughter this morning about my fears.
I asked her if shed come on a trial run with me at 11am, at that time the traffic isnt so bad.
I got there but on the way back there was a traffic jam on a road that if I panic I cant get off. So not to be beaten I found an alternative route.
Its about 4 miles further out of our way home, and there will be lots of traffic
but I know that I can pull up if I need to.
I suppose its cheating a little bit but Im still pleased that I feel I can do it now.
Going on that road in rush hour traffic is just too big a step for me at the moment.
Im still anxious about tomorrow but I feel more confident now.

Take care
LYNN xx

lilibet
29-08-07, 22:23
You Can Do It, Just Look Forward To Whats Coming Eh

Love Lilibet X X X X

GILL8
29-08-07, 22:43
Hi Lynn

groovygranny
29-08-07, 22:49
Lynn, that's not cheating mate - that's coping !!:yesyes:

What a good idea it was too!:shades:

You're going to be ok tomorrow...... enjoy it!

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

:flowers::flowers:

GILL8
29-08-07, 22:56
Hi Lynn

Hope you got the pm's. You've sorted it yourself and with your strength
you will be fine. Go and enjoy the day - you deserve it!!!

Lots of love

Gill xxx