PDA

View Full Version : Can negative thoughts make you feel ill?

phil06
28-11-18, 22:01
Past few days I have felt myself feel more ill due to the ocd. The symptoms are head tension, tension round the eyes feeling depressed and energyless.

The thoughts seem persistent and sometimes I think about them for hours if not all day. I had been replacing iron boards and irons doing compulsions and none of these seem to work so I feel stuck this seems to be propelling my anxiety feeling

What can I do to relax? I’m on propranolol again. I’ve tried relaxation and that’s not helped.

Can ocd and anxiety make you feel that run down?

FrankT
28-11-18, 22:06
It's caused me irritable bowel syndrome on several occasions, so I'd say yes, it can.

phil06
28-11-18, 22:17
It's caused me irritable bowel syndrome on several occasions, so I'd say yes, it can.

What can I do when I can’t take my mine off thoughts?

What will make the physical feeling of being unwell go away?

Fishmanpa
28-11-18, 22:20
What can I do when I can’t take my mine off thoughts?

What will make the physical feeling of being unwell go away?

What's the obvious answer to that question? Carys gave you an excellent source to help but it's quite apparent you haven't looked at it. If you can't help yourself, what's left is real life professional help.

I ask again...

Serious question Phil.... You really have no intention, are unwilling or unable to really do something to help yourself? This forum is just a blog for your thoughts isn't it?

Positive thoughts

phil06
28-11-18, 22:26
What's the obvious answer to that question? Carys gave you an excellent source to help but it's quite apparent you haven't looked at it. If you can't help yourself, what's left is real life professional help.

I ask again...

Positive thoughts

I did look at the site

The issue is I did compulsions replaced stuff and it failed to work this time so I feel anxious

Fishmanpa
28-11-18, 22:47
I did look at the site

The issue is I did compulsions replaced stuff and it failed to work this time so I feel anxious

Looking, reading and acting are all different.

What are YOU going to do to help yourself? Nothing suggested in the last decade+ has really helped :shrug: 5 irons and ironing boards are worth at least a session or two of therapy or a prescription right?

And I'll ask yet again...

Serious question Phil.... You really have no intention, are unwilling or unable to really do something to help yourself? This forum is just a blog for your thoughts isn't it?

Positive thoughts

Pkstracy
29-11-18, 00:20
Yep sounds like you need to help yourself or try. Just reading isn't going to help you have to do it.

MyNameIsTerry
29-11-18, 01:48
I did look at the site

But performing compulsions only make it all worse. They can help momentarily with the peaks of anxiety but they are only trapping you in these cycles.

If you are expecting to change compulsions so that they reduce your anxiety without then continuing to work towards elimination it's not a solution. As a stepping stone they can be useful but not if the goal isn't going further.

As for anxiety, it makes you ill. Stress alone makes people ill. The body is working harder, there is more inflammation, etc. Pacing is important because we need to react in the same way we would to any physical condition that comes & goes with physical symptoms that need to be managed.

pulisa
29-11-18, 08:46
You just want uncomfortable feelings to go away,Phil, and fast, but they won't with an anxiety disorder unless you try to understand more about your condition rather than looking for quick fixes.

Learning about anxiety and OCD might not be what you want to do though.