PDA

View Full Version : Switching from SSRI to something else?

ddraig
30-11-18, 14:09
I've been on paroxetine for at least 11 years, anything from 5 - 20mg.

It 'pooped out' years ago but as many of you are aware it can be incredibly difficult to withdraw from.

I'm currently on 5mg and want to drop to 2.5 next summer (yes this is how slow I have to go!)

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has switched from an SSRI to another medication long term or used something to help wean of an SSRI.

For me so far:

Pregabalin: worked for a day or so then died

Beta blockers: can't say these 'failed' but they are for physical anxiety i.e stage fright, presenting etc - not intended for mood or generalised anxiousness

5-HTP, St Johns Wort, Rhodiola - didn't really do anything noticeable

On the natural route my next stop is ashwagandha - I also take vitamin D

Thanks for reading!

Benjammin69
30-11-18, 14:26
I’ve always been intrigued by a drug called moclobemide - it is a RIMA and actually sounds amazing - no start ups, no withdrawals and very effective for depression and anxiety. You will need a psychiatrist to prescribe it but have a ‘google’ -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddraig
30-11-18, 14:37
Ah, never heard of that one. I don't have a psychiatrist unfortunately, would be interesting to hear people's experiences

BikerMatt
30-11-18, 15:54
I was on Seroxat for 10 years and it took me 18 months to get off it. I cross tapered it with Mirtazapine whilst i was coming off Seroxat as it's an SNRI rather than an SSRI.

ddraig
30-11-18, 16:34
I was on Seroxat for 10 years and it took me 18 months to get off it. I cross tapered it with Mirtazapine whilst i was coming off Seroxat as it's an SNRI rather than an SSRI.

Hi Matt,

How did you get on with the Mirtazapine? and are you on any meds now? Also did you stop taking paroxetine for similar reasons?

Sorry for all the Qs!

BikerMatt
30-11-18, 17:06
That's ok ask away.

Like you Seroxat stopped working. I don't think Mirtazapine is as effective as Seroxat was when it worked. I took Propranolol 80mg for 2 years until Aug 2017.

The good thing with Mirtazapine is it aids sleep and it's apperently good alongside other antidepressants. I've been offered Venlafaxine and Quetiapine along side it, but to be honest i don't want to take anything else and just chucked on these things without monitoring and reviews.

ddraig
30-11-18, 18:13
I think I'll taper back up to 10mg to get me through Christmas and new year then maybe talk about doing something similar.

I find the paroxetine will get me back to a level 'get through the drudgery' kinda place but nowhere near what it did for me the first few years, and at certain doses (I've always been under 20mg) I get nasty TMJ / jaw issues and other physical symptoms.

Propranolol I tried at a lowish dose - 30mg, It does help with physical anxiety but not 'psychological' or mood, though to be fair it doesn't claim to help with that

Benjammin69
30-11-18, 19:34
That's ok ask away.

Like you Seroxat stopped working. I don't think Mirtazapine is as effective as Seroxat was when it worked. I took Propranolol 80mg for 2 years until Aug 2017.

The good thing with Mirtazapine is it aids sleep and it's apperently good alongside other antidepressants. I've been offered Venlafaxine and Quetiapine along side it, but to be honest i don't want to take anything else and just chucked on these things without monitoring and reviews.

We are quite similar in meds - I’ve tried loads of
Meds and I’ve ended up on mirtazapine 45mg, quetiapine 200mg, 160mg propranolol, 30mg baclofen and various benzo depending upon situation.

BikerMatt
01-12-18, 13:04
We are quite similar in meds - I’ve tried loads of
Meds and I’ve ended up on mirtazapine 45mg, quetiapine 200mg, 160mg propranolol, 30mg baclofen and various benzo depending upon situation.

Hi Ben, I was offered Quetiapine by a locum GP last year but didn't take it. I was offered Venlafaxine and Propranolol in 2015 by the psychiatry team in 2015. I took the Ven for a week and couldn't take the side effects but took the Prop but stopped last year.

My GP referred me to the psychiatry team about 5 weeks ago. I was referred, discharged and Ven and Prop delivered through my door in under 3 weeks without even seeing me.

Benjammin69
01-12-18, 13:54
Hi Ben, I was offered Quetiapine by a locum GP last year but didn't take it. I was offered Venlafaxine and Propranolol in 2015 by the psychiatry team in 2015. I took the Ven for a week and couldn't take the side effects but took the Prop but stopped last year.

My GP referred me to the psychiatry team about 5 weeks ago. I was referred, discharged and Ven and Prop delivered through my door in under 3 weeks without even seeing me.

Is that all NHS? I get seen private now much better mate and they really listen and prescribe stuff that is cost irrelevant - the NHS unfortunately have to worry about costs of medications etc

BikerMatt
01-12-18, 14:09
Is that all NHS? I get seen private now much better mate and they really listen and prescribe stuff that is cost irrelevant - the NHS unfortunately have to worry about costs of medications etc

NHS Ben, Because they never even talked to me, they have no idea why i stopped taking the Ven after a week and the reasons why i stopped the Prop after 2 years. They've just wasted 2 prescriptions.

If i could afford anything healthcare wise private i would, but i can't.

Matt