PDA

View Full Version : Unemployed when this started, how will i ever get a job?

All Time Low
29-08-07, 17:10
This is the thought that's plagueing me

I've only ever had 1 job in my life, for 3 months last summer, before i'd ever suffered from anxiety. Only been suffering from this anxiety since around Christmas time.

I've just left university and just don't know how i could cope with the change in environment and the stress of a job. I've been getting sicknotes from the doctor but can't see him giving me many more.

This is more directed at people who were unemployed when their anxiety started. How did you manage to find work and how long did you wait?

SammiB
30-08-07, 09:45
I wasn't unemployed when my anxiety started i was on holiday and had to go back 2 weeks later, imagine how that scared me, i'll also be finishing my job in a week and have to look for another.

If you feel like you would like to start working, i suggest maybe finding a small job, part time, just to get into it, the first week or two i went back to work i had panics every 2 days and had to go home, but the more i went the less i panicked and now work is great,

just say to an employer you suffer with anxiety and the first few weeks will be tough but to give you a chance.

its bas

SammiB
30-08-07, 09:46
its basically a kick in the arse, it will be scary and you won't want too but maybe is a good baby step to look at doing it

good luck

samc100
30-08-07, 15:38
I think if I was you I would look at my options. Could you afford to go part-time? That might make it easier for you ? What about agency work that might be a nice easy number in an office just to get you feeling happier about work?

It is catch-22 but if you can get back to some daily work routine it might boost your confidence and help you get better... I know when I was off work it really dragged me to the bottom cos' sometimes it does help me to take my brain off me and my madness for a while.

honeybee3939
30-08-07, 19:48
Hi

Could you do some voluntary work to build up your confidence? thats what helped me get back into work, and doing so shouldnt effect your sickness benifits.

Also the job centre disability dept where a great help, they helped me also go on courses to help boost my confidence too.

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

samtheman
09-09-07, 16:16
You really need to be out and about in order to shift this condition, the first week of 2 will be hard but after that you should be fine

richieshealth
11-09-09, 22:08
I worked over 13 years maybe with a couple of years out of work along the way. I'd say focusing on your problem to much won't necessarly help and been in the wrong job and not been able to share or tell anyone you have an anx prob doesn't help to much either - I've had both experiences, but the right job and work mates is the key, a great distraction (work in it's nature is a therapy of all sorts- work, even if the jobs not great breathes life and meaning back into people. Good Luck in the work world.