PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever get over anxiety/panic

Panic1971
29-08-07, 19:10
I have had anxiety and panic for 6 and 1/2 years now and was just wondering how long other people have had anxiety/panic for?

I know people have to deal with anxiety on a daily basis, but not to this extreme. Do you think that you ever really get over it or do you think it is with you always? I just so want to feel anxiety free again.:sad:

I am feeling so fed up with it all. I hate living my life in constant fear.

little mutt
29-08-07, 20:00
Hi Ann,
I have had anxiety/panic attacks for 9 years. I am so much better now than I was in the beginning but I live in fear of having another attack. I think you probably can recover once the symptoms of panic no longer scare you but unfortunately when I feel the symptoms coming on that's when I panic more and so here I am trapped in this fear cycle.

Keep Smiling though :)

Karen x

Panic1971
29-08-07, 20:03
Thanks Karen

I know - you would think that we would get used to the symptoms - but they just scare me more and more each time they come. It is so hard to break.

Thanks once again.

toxic_jo
29-08-07, 20:20
had panic attacks since 1990 and counting panic attacks will never kill you i have been through the worst situations and its like agraph some times its up and sometimes its low feeling fed up just makes things worse if you try to ease down abit so the feelings will take it from someone who had this for more than 17 years.

little mutt
29-08-07, 20:35
Ann...I think you are right, it is hard to break. I have got into the habit of phoning my husband or my parents as soon as the panic symptoms start and now I'm finding it hard to break the habit and find myself relying on them to be there for me instead of trying to cope with the panic attack on my own. I so much admire the people on this site who cope alone.

Karen x

belle
29-08-07, 21:17
Hi Karen..
My panic attacks/agoraphobia started on 11th July 1998, almost a flipping decade of this crap, its surprising i am still going.
I was doing okay(ish) until recently when i started having panic attacks again after not having one for around 18 months, now i am fearing the next one...and its turned into a horrible cycle of fear and bad agoraphobia.
I don't have the luxury of calling anyone if i am panicking, my mother NEVER has her mobile with her and my husband works at a job where hes not contactable unless an emergancy and i somehow don't think a panic attack is classed as one.
I would LOVE to see a light at the end of the tunnel, but right now...its pretty damn dark down there.

x

groovygranny
29-08-07, 22:21
Hello Ann,

I discovered less than two years ago that I've probably suffered from anxiety and panic attacks, to varying degrees, for most of my life!!

I hadn't recognised it as such until I received counselling.

In a weird sort of way, becoming ill had a constructive as well as destructive effect on me, because it made me aware that 'something' was going on.

I have accepted that it will always 'be in the background' but am determined not to allow it to dictate to or control me. Now, although I have moments of anxiety, the panic attacks are extremely rare - although I 'go with the flow' I also remind myself constantly of how panicking will not help or relieve any situation I may find myself in .....it will only make me feel worse.

Yes, it's a lot easier said than done.....but it's well worth the effort so you can eventually regain control of your life.

big hugs to you

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

:flowers:

kate
30-08-07, 08:29
Dep/panic/anx for the past 25 years. Some times have been not too bad, some times intolerable, but always there. Having a very bad time of it again at the moment...

Kate

SammiB
30-08-07, 09:05
I've only had panic for 3 months, having attacks but been a over worrier for all my life, i'm 19 and i believe panic and anxiety won't go away as you started with some anyway you just have to keep it at a balance, just need to work your way back. trying to be as positive as i can and sometimes its really hard but got to keep going

xx

ana
30-08-07, 23:33
Hi Ann,
I have been suffering from panic attacks for 6 years. I have been living in constant terror, it was a nightmare and a great mental torture. I spent 5 years of my life paralysed with fear, but a year ago, like a gift from above, came relief and I started to feel better!
I am still anxious and panicky, but now I feel I am on my way to full recovery.
As soon as I've started feeling better, I pushed myself into doing things I was usually terrified of doing and let me tell you- nothing compares to the feeling you have when you accomplish something you thought you never would!

So, keep going and never give up!!!! :yesyes:

Hugs,

Ana

djgallant
31-08-07, 12:21
8 months now I think. Still learning about. I so desperatly hope I can make it go away completely.

debera
31-08-07, 13:17
yes i think you can get over panic and anxiety to a big degree. but i think you have to work very hard at it. i have had panic and anxiety for two years now. when myanxiety was acute i couldnt even go out in the garden. that was last year. thsi year is alot better. it is alot of hard work and you have to keep busy and try and distract yourself. its hard iknow. but it can be done. i still get my bad days but i try to keep busy. itis very hard sometimes. this year i am visiting friends which i couldnt do last year and going into shops. but as i said i stll have bad days. i try to just say to myself its only anxiety. i hope this helps
love debera

Panic1971
31-08-07, 17:25
Thanks everyone for your replies. :yesyes: It does appear that we can get over this. I just need to be a bit more stronger.

I just find it so hard to accept the symptoms when they come crashing down on me, and then are constantly checking if they are still around or asking myself how I am feeling. If I start to feel good, as soon as I notice that I am okay - then it starts all over again. I just bring it all on just by thinking about it again. I cannot get out of the habit of not having anxiety controlling me. Does that make sense???:shrug:

fredster27
01-09-07, 18:30
im having the same problems at the mo, jus feels like im going round in circles! its driving me nuts, im only 23, iv got a birthday party to go to in brighton fri, im all ready dreding it, altho i really wanna go!!! i know every thing will be fine, it allways is!!! so why do i feel so bad?

ana
02-09-07, 19:32
Ann,

It's our own thoughts that drive us to panic. If you think it will happen, you will expect a panic attack, and then you'll have it....:weep:

I remember the very same thing happening to me every day... There seemed no escape from myself. I say myself because it was my own thoughts that drove me mad and made me panic.
It is almost impossible to control your own thoughts, though it sounds easy when you put it like that.
One day I was on a bus going to university. I was about to have an exam :sad: and, of course, I started thinking how I'll surely panic and panic will make it impossible for me to concetrate on the exam and then what if I fail and bla bla bla... but then I said to myself out loud (the bus was half empty:emot-whistle: )
"Ana, you will not panic. Period!"
However, I still couldn't stop my thoughts snapping back at me "Oh, yes, you sure will! You always do, so why should today be any different?"

But it was different. I somehow managed to silence the annoying thoughts by replacing them with rational ones ("...and even if I do panic, I will just breathe deeply and all will be over in a minute. I will not die, and nothing bad can happen to me")

Fredster,
I know how you feel about the party. I used to cry with frustration because I wanted so badly to go somewhere but ended up not going because I was scared I'd panic. I know exactly what it felt like---it felt like giving in to my fears. It felt like losing.

Please, go to the party and have fun! Ignore your own thoughts if you can, block them out at least, or turn down their volume and enjoy yourself! :emot-cheering:

Ana
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

vernon
02-09-07, 20:56
I totaly agree with Debra, I dont think you ever get rid fully but you do get much better, Keeping bussy even when you dont feel like it and afermations have helped me loads.

stephcatlover
04-09-07, 12:15
I've had the wretched things (PAs)on and off since I was 21 and am a few months short of 50 now! not constant - I can go a few years without, but they come back when I'm stressed or low, been hitting late nights/booze too much, drinking too much coffee - all kinds of things. I see them now as a warning that not all is right in my life and I need to have a good hard look at lifestyle, stress factors etc.

while they haven't gone away I do think I've learned to manage them better than I did - when they first started I had no idea what was wrong as people didn't talk about them and I thought i was just going to drop dead on the spot. but - I didn't!!! - and I think that's probably the most valuable thing I've learned - these attacks are very frightening but not dangerous. Difficult at the time but if you can cling onto that thought then they will pass quicker.

try also to live your life as fully as you can - don't let them stop you travelling, having relationships, or anything you want to do - don't worry and not do things because of 'what if I have a panic?' - if you have one then you have one, you honestly can deal with it and move onto to do the next thing, really it is possible. it takes so much strength and bravery but you will find it, it 's there inside you.

when I am crouched down on the floor whimpering with the world spinning round, convinced that I am having a stroke then and there, it is the worst feeling I know - but I refuse to let it control what I have wanted to do over the years and have travelled round the world on my own ( terrified of flying but my GP prescribes valium for long haul!) and had great, great times. I think I'v e actualy enjoyed stuff more because I've had to battle a bit to do things. The more you do in life despite the panics the stronger you feel - and if you have a set back don't beat yourself up about it.

the advice on this website is spot on, including all the details of what happens to your body when you panic, and how to address it.

good luck - and enjoy your life in this beautiful world
steph

Nicomi
04-09-07, 13:15
Hi
I've had a really tough year with panic and anxiety and it all came to a head in June. I have been on Citalopram since then and am going to start counselling next week. I have received great support from my GP and family so I am a lot more fortunate than others on this site. The panic attacks have stopped now and it is the anxiety that I'm left with. It was all day every day but now it is on and off throughout the day. I can't imagine coping with this for years and years. You've got to believe that you can recover and lead a "normal" life again.
If I thought I would be like this forever I couldn't face it. I have been doing everything I can to recover and some days feel like it is one step forwards two steps back.
I realise that I am new to this but you have to believe that you will get better.
:yesyes: xxNicomixx

bluebirds2005
05-09-07, 02:29
hi
ive suffered with panic attacks for 5 years now i had an 8 month spell where the panic and anxiety just went away completley however unfortunatley theyve now returned with avengance and i have to start from scratch in trying to overcome them

vernon
05-09-07, 11:43
Some people claim to have overcome anxiety/panic/phobias fully! how can theey say this? becouse I have had years of clear days then like Bluebirds says it has returned with avengence. but using the right tools for you once you find them does make life much easier. TC Vernon

sassy
08-09-07, 23:13
Ive had panic/anxiety attacks for 15 years now. I had my first at 17.

i have gone through years without having one, then out of the blue they will raise their ugly heads again..usually as a result of a stressful situation or bad period.

In answer to your question, i personaly dont think you ever really 'get over them' as such, you just learn to survive them.
We all cope differently in admist an attack and its a case of finding what your own personal coping strategy is..mine tend to change frequently lol.

Knowing you are not alone, nor are you going insane, and that most of the human race at one point at least in their lives have or will suffer a panic attack, is to me quite reassuring.

AND the fact that your still here telling the tale, shows what a true survivor you are...be proud of your strength!

god bless :hugs:

Em xxxx