PDA

View Full Version : Normal to hypertension blood pressure in less than a year

Deepseathree
06-12-18, 03:55
So my question is in regards to my blood pressure obviously. I was going through some old papers and throwing them out and came across something from the Dr office in February. My BP was 123/70. Fast forward to today and I’m on medication for high blood pressure. I’m a 30 y/o healthy make. I’ve lost weight so I’m probably down to 195 at 5’11. My blood tests show everything within healthy ranges. The doctor I’ve seen hasn’t really given much information as to what could be the cause.

RadioGaGa
06-12-18, 18:45
Hypertension affects about 1 in 10 males between the ages of 30 and 40. >90% of the time, we're dealing with primary hypertension i.e. hypertension without an underlying cause.

Be thankful your doctor has acted swiftly and put you on HTN tx, thus greatly reducing your chances of any nasty effects of the HTN.

I'm still arguing with mine to try and get put on treatment. In the UK, they won't put anyone on tx unless the reading is consistently above 140/90. I'm currently averaging 135/85. In the US, I'd have been on treatment long ago. Which is the way it should be here.

I'm 25 if that makes you feel better :roflmao:

Fishmanpa
06-12-18, 18:50
I've had hypertension since my early 30's but it runs in my family so :shrug:

Positive thoughts

Deepseathree
07-12-18, 00:30
I just don’t understand how I’d go from 120/70 basically to 160/100 in less than a year. I do know I was on Prozac at the start of this year and now I’m not. That’s the only difference.

Fishmanpa
07-12-18, 00:33
Were the BP readings conducted at your doctor's office or are you self-testing?

Never mind.. saw this from September...

I’ve had it done at the doctors office, on a machine in a pharmacy, and a home cuff I just recently bought. I usually do deep breathing before hand and relax as much as possible.

If you're that concerned, see your doctor. Other than anxiety, which is known to increase a BP reading, your doctor would be the source for an explanation and treatment if needed.

Positive thoughts

Deepseathree
07-12-18, 01:07
I’ve brought it up to the Dr numerous times and the NP. I don’t really get any answers other than. It can happen. I could understand if it was hereditary or it my diet was awful and I was heavier. Or if it happened over the course of a few years. But from Feb to now.

Fishmanpa
07-12-18, 01:15
I’ve brought it up to the Dr numerous times and the NP. I don’t really get any answers other than. It can happen. I could understand if it was hereditary or it my diet was awful and I was heavier. Or if it happened over the course of a few years. But from Feb to now.

And when you test there it's normal I assume or they're not concerned? Why are you self testing?

Positive thoughts

Deepseathree
07-12-18, 01:26
I don’t really self test. They seemed concerned enough to put me on medication and it’s still not at a lower lower.

---------- Post added at 01:26 ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 ----------

I want to think that it’s all stress, but if my blood pressure was normal when I wasn’t stressed than I would think that it would be low being on medication and during times of no stress. Plus everything I read is that stress and anxiety only cause short term spikes in blood pressure and not the cause of hypertension. If that would be the cause then I’d be back on Prozac.

MyNameIsTerry
07-12-18, 01:58
Then they need to address why the meds aren't correcting this. I've been on two meds for mine (diagnosed in Feb, aged 42) and both had follow ups of blood tests & nurse BP check or the latter alone (dependent on the type of med).

Why has your doctor diagnosed you, put you on a med for it and not bothered to ensure it is even working?

Lots of things cause BP to raise and it's completely natural. It's when it's consistently over the threshold that meds come into play.

Hypertension has been over diagnosed for years leading to lots of BP meds being dished out for no reason. I'll put money on anxiety sufferers featuring in that camp. That's why they use the 24 hour ambulatory test over here to reduce white coat syndrome.

Fishmanpa
07-12-18, 02:25
I don’t really self test.

Then how are you getting these multiple readings? :huh: You either do or you don't. Anyway... if you're on BP meds and nothing is changing, your doctor should address the dosage. Concerning self-testing, unless ordered by our doctor, you shouldn't be doing it. It only feeds your anxiety. I have a cuff that was advised by my cardiologist when they adjusted my meds. I haven't used it in ages.

Positive thoughts

Deepseathree
07-12-18, 03:40
I’ve had numerous appointments lately changing medications and from not doing well with medications which is with all the readings. I was told to get one also but I don’t like doing it at home.I was a bit of a hypochondriac so being a the Drs wasn’t something out of the norm. Also I had a stress echo for a chest pain(NP sent me, I didn’t think it was necessary, even as a hypo). That was around April or May and nothing was abnormal. I think my reading there was 136/80. But I was nervous about being there. The cardiologist said there was nothing abnormal and wasn’t worried about my BP and the stress echo was fine.

RadioGaGa
07-12-18, 16:48
You've been given excellent advise by other posters

Also, don't freak out too much about one medication not working. Some people require several different classes of antihypertensives to control their blood pressure. My cousin for example is on an ACE inhibitor, Beta blocker and a diuretic to control his BP and he's in his early 40s. Although his lifestyle doesn't help.

Also please don't think me rude for saying this, but a lot of people say their lifestyle is healthy. But upon further review with their doctor/nurse/pharmacist or whoever, it often transpires there are one two or more areas for improvement.

Definitley follow this up with your doctor if your readings are not going to the desired range they've decided upon for you.

bin tenn
07-12-18, 20:56
I'm pretty healthy overall aside from smoking. No drugs, overall healthy diet. Don't exercise like I should. And I've been on a beta blocker since 2015. And I started taking a low dose statin this year. And I'm 31 years old. Does run in the family, but this stuff doesn't discriminate. I agree with what's been said. Address your concerns with your provider and ask questions if you feel the medication isn't working.

MyNameIsTerry
08-12-18, 01:42
You've been given excellent advise by other posters

Also, don't freak out too much about one medication not working. Some people require several different classes of antihypertensives to control their blood pressure. My cousin for example is on an ACE inhibitor, Beta blocker and a diuretic to control his BP and he's in his early 40s. Although his lifestyle doesn't help.

Also please don't think me rude for saying this, but a lot of people say their lifestyle is healthy. But upon further review with their doctor/nurse/pharmacist or whoever, it often transpires there are one two or more areas for improvement.

Definitley follow this up with your doctor if your readings are not going to the desired range they've decided upon for you.

I agree, my mum had to switch between various BP meds to find the right mix for her. It went on for years.

As for the nurses talking about lifestyle, I always smile when an overweight nurse is saying how to improve diet & exercise. I had my over 40's health check with a slightly younger nurse who was much more in need of losing some weight than me. We used to have a GP who was so overweight he couldn't get under his desk. But yes, you are right about lifestyle.

Deepseathree
08-12-18, 01:48
I’m not saying all the info isn’t good. I’m just trying to figure out what could raise it so much. If anything I’m much healthier than I was during the time of the healthy reading. More aerobic exercise and not just anaerobic. Better diet, though my blood tests have for the most part been perfect. Cholesterol was high then but now it’s fine. Ive brought up the concerns to my doctor and NP and they don’t have any answers. I’ve asked them if it could all be stress related, but get no answers. The only lifestyle changes have been healthier, yet the blood pressure gets worse. I want to say it’s all stress related but can’t really make judgement. I feel if it was then, during the times of no stress my blood pressure would be too low with me being on medication.

RadioGaGa
08-12-18, 01:51
Lmao that's VERY true MyNameIsTerry

Picture this. My grandmother had been in a very 'mild' car crash. 'crash' is probably the wrong word. 'bump' is more accurate. But as she was 74 she was taken to hospital anyway just to make sure she was OK.

When she was assessed by the doctor he was happy enough she was OK but wanted her to be reviewed that day by a vascular surgeon. The vascular surgeon came round and told her that unless she packed in smoking right away, her legs would be 'coming off' within the next year as the circulation in them was so bad.

A nurse then gave her lifestyle advice. Said nurse was about 30 stone, was later seen outside smoking and to top it all off, was seen eating Chinese takeaway on the ward that same day.

Thankfully my granny did stop smoking and had no further issues with her legs!

But yes i agree entirely. There's an epidemic of obese nurses. But you didn't hear that from me:roflmao:

MyNameIsTerry
08-12-18, 02:12
Lmao that's VERY true MyNameIsTerry

Picture this. My grandmother had been in a very 'mild' car crash. 'crash' is probably the wrong word. 'bump' is more accurate. But as she was 74 she was taken to hospital anyway just to make sure she was OK.

When she was assessed by the doctor he was happy enough she was OK but wanted her to be reviewed that day by a vascular surgeon. The vascular surgeon came round and told her that unless she packed in smoking right away, her legs would be 'coming off' within the next year as the circulation in them was so bad.

A nurse then gave her lifestyle advice. Said nurse was about 30 stone, was later seen outside smoking and to top it all off, was seen eating Chinese takeaway on the ward that same day.

Thankfully my granny did stop smoking and had no further issues with her legs!

But yes i agree entirely. There's an epidemic of obese nurses. But you didn't hear that from me:roflmao:

:roflmao: At the local cottage hospital near me there used to be a group of nurses often seen having a sly ciggie outside the entrance. You don't see it now, the government have solved it by shutting the wards and sacking everyone :ohmy:

If you go to our local hospital it's nothing like what you see on the TV. The nurses certainly do not look like that!

Drinking in moderation is another one to laugh at. Nurses were always known for getting bladdered, my best mate years ago was married to one.

I bet you've seen it first hand a lot more being an insider :D When the chief exec recently wanted to encourage medical staff to be healthier I thought it was great for these reasons. I've always said a personal trainer lives the lifestyle whereas the nurses just read off a sheet of paper. But the latter seems so strange when they see the rest of us going through horrible stuff because we won't change and follow their advice.

It's like an oncologist telling you stop smoking and pulling out a pack of Hamlets. :D

Glad to hear your grandmother was ok.