PDA

View Full Version : Meds for severe heartburn which is the safest?

sammiej123
06-12-18, 11:24
I have been suffering with really bad heartburn. I was put on to Omeprazole which did settle it down however, I noticed that I was getting an irregular heartbeat and intense feelings of panic on two occasions before going to sleep. I have also read that this drug is not really that great for you being a PPI does anyone have any suggestions or views on this please?? thank you!!

EmmerLooeez
06-12-18, 12:53
I take omeprazole and get on with it absolutely fine. I would try and persevere with it to be honest.

Due to the title of your post I'm assuming that medication side effects is something that you fear? I would say it's far more likely that the feeling of fear and palpitations that you mention are a result of your fear of side effects and being aware (on whatever level of consciousness) that you are taking a new medication.

xx

Fishmanpa
06-12-18, 13:48
I take omeprazole and get on with it absolutely fine. I would try and persevere with it to be honest.

Due to the title of your post I'm assuming that medication side effects is something that you fear? I would say it's far more likely that the feeling of fear and palpitations that you mention are a result of your fear of side effects and being aware (on whatever level of consciousness) that you are taking a new medication.

Exactly. The "I read" was a big giveaway :whistles: Both my wife and I have been taking a PPI for years with no issues. The occasions you speak of would be caused by anxiety/panic and not the medication.

Positive thoughts

RadioGaGa
06-12-18, 18:38
A lot of people have jumped on the "Anti-PPI" bandwagon. I've seen it in work, on here and on other forums and places.

The most significant effect they can cause is reduced mineral absorption. This is unlikely to pose any threat to the average healthy adult. But there's a simple way to combat this: take a good multivitamin 2hours before or 2hours after your dose of PPI.

ALWAYS REMEMBER Before your Doctor places you on *ANY* medication, they will compare the risks/benefits of treatment. And if they have told you to take it, its in your best interests to do so. PPIs are very safe drugs.

I should also add that even when given to patients who are severely unwell (e.g. due to chemotherapy) they are very, very safe. I see this on a daily basis!

I've been on PPIs for six years now. I wouldn't dream of coming off them!

NancyW
06-12-18, 19:09
A lot of people have jumped on the "Anti-PPI" bandwagon. I've seen it in work, on here and on other forums and places.

The most significant effect they can cause is reduced mineral absorption. This is unlikely to pose any threat to the average healthy adult. But there's a simple way to combat this: take a good multivitamin 2hours before or 2hours after your dose of PPI.

ALWAYS REMEMBER Before your Doctor places you on *ANY* medication, they will compare the risks/benefits of treatment. And if they have told you to take it, its in your best interests to do so. PPIs are very safe drugs.

I should also add that even when given to patients who are severely unwell (e.g. due to chemotherapy) they are very, very safe. I see this on a daily basis!

I've been on PPIs for six years now. I wouldn't dream of coming off them!

Is Omeprazole (nexium) the same? My adult son takes it for heartburn and has great, great results.

RadioGaGa
06-12-18, 19:16
Nexium is the brand name for Esomeprazole. Esomeprazole is basically omeprazole that has been put together (chemically) differently.

To really simplify it, imagine if you have four lego bricks and you arrange them a certain way - pretend that's Omeprazole. Take them apart, and re-arrange them and put them back together, that's Esomperazole.

Both are fantastic drugs, however I believe trials have shown Nexium (Esomeprazole) is superior to Prilosec (Omeprazole) for acid suppression :shades: