PDA

View Full Version : Marriage Proposal

C1989
07-12-18, 02:07
I'm thinking of proposing to my girlfriend of 5.5 years this Christmas Day 2018. I've bought a nice engagement ring her size. She's known about my mental health problems over the years and has always stuck by me and never judged me. We've always thought we were soulmates, truly want the best for each other and always lift each other up. Her brother is coming over for Christmas as we're in Scotland and family commitments down in London can be hard around work. Should I propose in front of her brother at my place? I planned on proposing privately but I really want to on Christmas day. I'm 29 and never been married. Should you read something out and propose or just show the ring first? Do you need to let your folks know first? I'm a bit nervous I guess; probably for no reason but feel the timing is right as we're really talking about our future together and I love this girl. How have you proposed marriage? Would a girl prefer it be private? Can't believe I'm thinking of stuff like this but the universe has its way of bringing people into your life!

BlueIris
07-12-18, 06:58
If she loves you, it'll be magical no matter how you do it, I promise.

Privacy might be best, though - maybe you could send her brother out to buy a newspaper or something while you pop the question?

Noivous
07-12-18, 10:43
Don't do it in front of the brother. Keep it intimate. Just you two. I think you should say something...like Will You Marry Me - with ring in hand. Nerves are normal. Congratulations! And Merry Christmas!

Carys
07-12-18, 15:20
I think to keep it private too. However, I guess you have to base it on your knowledge of her and the type of person she is...some people do go for the 'big event' infront of stadiums of people but I don't know that the majority of people would like that.

Nowadays there is no need to 'speak to family' first, on either side, things have moved on from that etiquette (which was around 60 years ago). You are both mature and independent people, and therefore you are the two who matter and need to communicate with each other.

Find the right place, and the right time on the day....have your words ready but keep it simple 'I love you and want to spend the rest of my life with you....would you....etc'.

C1989
07-12-18, 17:48
Private sounds better then. Won't get hung up on Christmas Day but yeah she'll appreciate it I'm sure any day. Thanks, God bless.

EmmerLooeez
07-12-18, 18:03
Why don't you propose before Christmas day? That way you can share the news with family in Christmas and celebrate.

In conversations I've had with women who were expecting to be proposed to, they always guessed the guy would propose on their birthday, valentine's Day or around Christmas/New Year. Maybe completely catch her off guard?

Good luck with your proposal! How wonderful. X

Carys
07-12-18, 18:06
Yeah....good point......make an ordinary day special. Like go somewhere and look over a city with all the lights on, just as a matter of course before Xmas or something. Oooooooo......DO let us know the outcome !!!

EmmerLooeez
07-12-18, 21:35
Oh Carys that sounds amazing. Made me all goosebumpy! x

C1989
08-12-18, 00:01
I might do that! I'm excited and nervous but time flies and realized it's up to me to do this. I've bought a huge 1m tall teddy bear for Xmas in a box was gonna wrap the ring and put it in there haha. It's maybe better to do it before hand and catch her off guard somewhere nice. I'll let yous know thanks so much.

Phuzella
08-12-18, 00:10
What a lovely thread . :)

EmmerLooeez
08-12-18, 00:20
<3 !!!

Noivous
08-12-18, 00:47
What a lovely thread . :)

You're right Phuzella...this is a nice thread:)

mezzaninedoor
08-12-18, 06:43
In a way anything that clashes with Christmas Day can get overlooked.
What about proposing on Christmas Eve so that becomes a special anniversary in years to come.

Carys
08-12-18, 12:02
Its a gorge thread !!:D I feel excited LOL

Fishmanpa
08-12-18, 17:56
This is a great thread and brings up strong emotions in me.

I proposed to my wife on Christmas day with what I called "A Christmas Story" proposal (Those that know the movie will understand. If not, look up the Christmas morning scene when Ralphie gets his BB gun). We had been together for a few years and I knew she wanted to get married. The previous two years had been challenging with my heart issues and cancer. I bought a beautiful ring and planned the strategy....

I didn't hold back and splurged on a lot of gifts.. and some nice ones too! My wife is from Ecuador and was brought up Roman Catholic. So their tradition was to go to church Christmas Eve for midnight mass, come home, have a big meal with the family and then open presents. Quite unlike the American tradition.

So Christmas Eve, she was really excited and wanted to open one of the presents but I was staunch on my stance that we wait until the morning. I could tell she was really itching to open something. We go to bed around 11pm and she's like a little kid and can't sleep. I had no problem and was out quickly. I woke up around 1am or so and had to use the bathroom (which I always do anyway so no need to worry), so I get up and go. I get back into bed thinking she's asleep and I hear "Merry Christmas Papi" . I say "Merry Christmas Chiquita" and roll over to go back to sleep. As I knew she would, she asks "Can we open presents now?" . I say "Baby, it's 1 o'clock in the morning. We'll open presents in the morning Ok? Now please, go to sleep" She responds with obvious disappointment in her voice "Ok". Plan working out perfectly!

I wait a few minutes and say "Chiquita, do you want to open presents?" she nearly screams "YES!" So I told her to go downstairs and put some coffee on. She waits patiently for me to come down, get a cup of coffee and wake up a bit.

Then it's present time. We open up all the presents and she was thrilled! I knew she was hoping for a ring but that wasn't under the tree. She says "Well, that's everything" and I say Yep... did Santa bring you everything you wanted?" She responded with kind of a sigh "Yeah" Again, playing right into my plan :D

At that point I took her hands and told her that the best Christmas present I could ever get was her as she had been with me through my 2nd heart attack and cancer and I couldn't imagine my life without her. I got on my knee and took out the ring that had been in my pocket the whole time and popped the question. She started crying and just shaking her head yes :D

I tell you that story to encourage you to do it on Christmas! I love the teddy bear idea too! It should be just the two of you. Just speak from your heart and go for it! It will be the best present for both of you and make each Christmas in the future a celebration of not just the holiday but the beginning of your commitment to each other.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Positive thoughts

EmmerLooeez
08-12-18, 18:03
Awwwwwww fish. I'm all goosebumps again!!!!

I got engaged to my husband on Christmas day 2013. I opened my card that said "to my fiancé" and that was my proposal lol.

Sent from my moto e5 using Tapatalk

C1989
08-12-18, 21:04
A bit overwhelmed with the interest in this. Glad to see people still care about this it's really important to me. Fish your post really struck a chord with me today man... She wants to open one present at midnight on Xmas I think I'll put the ring in the teddy bear box and do it then. The ring arrived today and really happy with it. Have engraved 'C+S Always' for a bit of extra cheese! My work has recommended I take paid annual leave as I've not been well last couple of months. I didn't ask. Shani is the one constant and want to end on something positive this year and start a new chapter. Listening to Ocean Drive by Lighthouse Family and feeling good again! Will keep yous posted. Thanks guys. X

Carys
28-12-18, 12:45
DId you do it ? :)

pulisa
28-12-18, 14:09
I hope so!! Would be great to have some happy news!

jojo2316
28-12-18, 19:39
This is a great thread and brings up strong emotions in me.

I proposed to my wife on Christmas day with what I called "A Christmas Story" proposal (Those that know the movie will understand. If not, look up the Christmas morning scene when Ralphie gets his BB gun). We had been together for a few years and I knew she wanted to get married. The previous two years had been challenging with my heart issues and cancer. I bought a beautiful ring and planned the strategy....

I didn't hold back and splurged on a lot of gifts.. and some nice ones too! My wife is from Ecuador and was brought up Roman Catholic. So their tradition was to go to church Christmas Eve for midnight mass, come home, have a big meal with the family and then open presents. Quite unlike the American tradition.

So Christmas Eve, she was really excited and wanted to open one of the presents but I was staunch on my stance that we wait until the morning. I could tell she was really itching to open something. We go to bed around 11pm and she's like a little kid and can't sleep. I had no problem and was out quickly. I woke up around 1am or so and had to use the bathroom (which I always do anyway so no need to worry), so I get up and go. I get back into bed thinking she's asleep and I hear "Merry Christmas Papi" . I say "Merry Christmas Chiquita" and roll over to go back to sleep. As I knew she would, she asks "Can we open presents now?" . I say "Baby, it's 1 o'clock in the morning. We'll open presents in the morning Ok? Now please, go to sleep" She responds with obvious disappointment in her voice "Ok". Plan working out perfectly!

I wait a few minutes and say "Chiquita, do you want to open presents?" she nearly screams "YES!" So I told her to go downstairs and put some coffee on. She waits patiently for me to come down, get a cup of coffee and wake up a bit.

Then it's present time. We open up all the presents and she was thrilled! I knew she was hoping for a ring but that wasn't under the tree. She says "Well, that's everything" and I say Yep... did Santa bring you everything you wanted?" She responded with kind of a sigh "Yeah" Again, playing right into my plan :D

At that point I took her hands and told her that the best Christmas present I could ever get was her as she had been with me through my 2nd heart attack and cancer and I couldn't imagine my life without her. I got on my knee and took out the ring that had been in my pocket the whole time and popped the question. She started crying and just shaking her head yes :D

I tell you that story to encourage you to do it on Christmas! I love the teddy bear idea too! It should be just the two of you. Just speak from your heart and go for it! It will be the best present for both of you and make each Christmas in the future a celebration of not just the holiday but the beginning of your commitment to each other.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Positive thoughts

What a LOVELY story!! Hope it went that well for you too c1989
Xx

C1989
31-12-18, 13:44
We're engaged. Everyone's really happy for us. Thanks a lot for the interest and truly wish yous all a lovely New Year!

Chris X

pulisa
31-12-18, 14:04
Great news and congratulations!

mezzaninedoor
31-12-18, 15:11
Congratulations

Scass
31-12-18, 15:20
Congratulations!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carys