PDA

View Full Version : Lump on Tongue

aloy-
07-12-18, 19:48
Hi,
I noticed this bump/lump on my tongue about ... four months ago? Can’t remember exact time, but I noticed it again today aaand... the health anxiety tried to kick in.
Granted, my reasoning assumes this could be something small, like a taste bud or such, but I only have it on one side (my left.)
I know all mouths can look different, but I’m Just curious to know if anyone else has anything like this?
I have to stick my tongue out very far to notice it, and it’s more like it’s on the webbing connecting the back of my tongue to my jaw than my tongue itself, if that makes sense.
It doesn’t hurt, and I tried to poke it a bit with my finger. It felt pretty soft and movable, but still defined, I guess?
Included a pic for clarification!

NancyW
07-12-18, 20:54
If it were me, I'd head right to my dentist for a look/see.
Why not call today for an appointment?

aloy-
07-12-18, 21:07
If it were me, I'd head right to my dentist for a look/see.
Why not call today for an appointment?

I’m going to try to give them a call, hopefully I didn’t miss them before they close.
I should also add, I’m only 21 and don’t smoke or chew or anything like that... I checked my boyfriend’s tongue to see if he had anything similar, and though I could notice what I assume were some taste buds, nothing like mine. He told me not to freak myself out, or I’d freak him out over it lol. I’m trying hard, but as always, worried about the small chance it could be something bad.

EDIT: Forgot to add, the appearance hasn’t changed since I noticed it. I know that’s an important thing to look out for. Also, I’ve set up and appointment on Monday... now the nerve wracking wait. ��

neuroticcat
07-12-18, 23:09
I think that could be your lingual tonsil (not the same thing as the "regular" tonsils) They're basically lymphatic tissue on the back of your tongue.
Don't worry too much about it, but get it checked just to be on the safe side. .It could be nothing. I know it's hard to believe that, I've been obsessed with throat cancel myself. :hugs:

LouiseAndy
07-12-18, 23:15
I'm like that! I wouldn't notice something for months then HA springs into action (Currently having that with female issues). It's better to get it checked and keep us updated x

aloy-
07-12-18, 23:40
I think that could be your lingual tonsil (not the same thing as the "regular" tonsils) They're basically lymphatic tissue on the back of your tongue.
Don't worry too much about it, but get it checked just to be on the safe side. .It could be nothing. I know it's hard to believe that, I've been obsessed with throat cancel myself. :hugs:

Ah, I didn’t even think it could be them! I did try to find pictures of the location I was trying to describe, and did see a pic of lingual tonsils, buuut it was a diagram so I couldn’t totally tell, lol. I think poking it did irritate it, as now I’m feeling some discomfort in the area :facepalm: good move, self!

Thank you for the reply!! I’m tackling two big health anxiety fears next week — the dentist for this on Monday, and then an HIV test Wednesday, so I’m already feeling the panic. :wacko:

---------- Post added at 18:40 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

I'm like that! I wouldn't notice something for months then HA springs into action (Currently having that with female issues). It's better to get it checked and keep us updated x

I’ve been in that position too!! Just earlier this year I was freaking out thinking I had ovarian cancer, then it was melanoma... now I’m between HIV and cancer again. It’s so annoying 😓

aloy-
08-12-18, 03:54
The anxiety has been getting much worse over the evening... I hate getting so caught up on the small chances it could be something bad. I just can’t help but fear the worst: I’m deeply in love and ready to build a family, and the thought of being in that small group is terrifying.
Sigh. I’m so so hoping it’s just a benign bump I happen to have.

aloy-
08-12-18, 18:27
Anyone else have any advice or anything? :unsure:

NancyW
08-12-18, 21:20
Anyone else have any advice or anything? :unsure:

What exactly are you looking to read?

aloy-
08-12-18, 21:35
What exactly are you looking to read?

I guess mostly anyone saying if they have anything similar that isn’t harmful, or other ideas of what it could be.
I know it’s silly to get so worked up over when it could just be how my tongue is. But health anxiety makes it so hard to listen to the rational side on my own.
Maybe also just more tips on how to better calm the anxiety and overthinking.

Fishmanpa
08-12-18, 22:18
Maybe also just more tips on how to better calm the anxiety and overthinking.

Check this out... (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=226341)

Positive thoughts

aloy-
09-12-18, 02:05
Check this out... (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=226341)

Positive thoughts

Thank you!
I just keep trying to listen to my rational side. I’m young, don’t smoke/chew/drink... my fingers are just crossing so hard that it’s harmless.

---------- Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

One more question...
I read some disputes over if an ENT, GP, or Dentist should be the one visited over something like this. Should I also make an ENT appointment, just to be thorough?

aloy-
20-12-18, 14:35
Wanted to give a little update....
I went to the dentist today, and aside from having two cavities I need filled, all was pretty good! The dentist told me the lump is just lymphatic tissue and not to worry. Yay!!!