PDA

View Full Version : What about a section for those not on medication?

CaliGuy
08-12-18, 23:25
Not sure where to post this, but I wondered if there was any thought given to a natural recovery section around here? (Thoose who use therapy, behavior modification, etc.) Not just therapy... because that section is filled with medication use as well. But, a section or threat specifically geared towards the many who don't use meds and their journey and specific needs?

Thing is... those who do take meds might still like to visit and learn from them, as well.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I realize non-med-users are the minority on this forum, but not on MOST forums.
Perhaps the community could become more diverse with this option?

Fishmanpa
09-12-18, 00:00
Have you seen this? (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)

Positive thoughts

mezzaninedoor
09-12-18, 13:42
Thanks Fishmanpa
I often have people not on medication asking me for advice, which is hard to give & always includes asking them to see a Health Professional

CaliGuy
09-12-18, 15:38
Have you seen

Positive thoughts

Thanks Fishman. I did see that. Helpful but that’s is still more of a quick fix than a recovery process thread. (All of the threads are about supplements.)

What I think would be great is a section dedicated to those working through the problem organically without using the bandaid of meds. No offense to anyone who uses meds. It’s a personal choice.

But for so many who have recovered, the only true path was med free and using behavior and acceptance. Plus some people don’t tolerate meds.

Would be a kind gesture to dedicate a forum section to them.

Imagine being someone who didn’t tolerate meds here and perhaps new it all?
Could be quite disheartening to have every thread devolve into dosage talk. It could make someone feel hopeless.

Just a thought. I wonder if admin ever considered this simple gesture?

Fishmanpa
09-12-18, 15:55
But what are the alternatives? Those natural remedies aren't a quick fix as supplements typically take a long time to show any benefit. For example, I had issues with my shoulders from lifting weights years ago. I started taking Glucosamine Chondroitin for it. It did work but it took a couple of months before I really reaped the benefits.

CBD oil (which I use for chronic pain) has had a more immediate effect and many claim that it's good for anxiety as well.

Again, what are the alternatives other than self help through free online resources like the CBT course offered here? IMO, for those that can't tolerate meds or refuse to take them, it leaves little choice. Real life professional help, self help and natural supplements. There's also common sense natural remedies like proper nutrition and exercise but as seen here, many are too deep in the rabbit hole to apply these to their lives.

There's no reason one can't start a thread in the natural remedies section to discuss what they're doing and what's working and there have been a few but like other sub-forums here, they get swallowed up by the HA section and those deep in the rabbit hole.

Positive thoughts

jray23
09-12-18, 17:14
I'd be ok with a section like this, since I'm non-med. Things like talking about how self-care helps - sleep, exercise, nutrition etc., meditation, thoughts, behaviors. Perhaps even discussing what is going on in our therapy sessions if people are willing to divulge. How habits affect anxiety (good or bad). Things like getting support from those around you. Apps for tracking. What our anxiety cues/triggers are. If supplements are considered non-med then that too.

I can think of all kinds of topics for a section like this. I think it would be more beneficial than only seeing the "Do I have X" posts, which definitely reinforces the ability to detect those thought patterns but not much else.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

pulisa
09-12-18, 20:00
I'd be interested to follow this section if it were to be introduced.

CaliGuy
10-12-18, 06:58
But what are the alternatives? Those natural remedies aren't a quick fix as supplements typically take a long time to show any benefit.....

Hi Fishmanpa,

There are two schools of thought with recovery from stress disorder:

1. It's a "thing" that must be "managed" by using external thigns like medications, oils, herbs, chanting, tapping, etc.

2. Stress disorder is the result of stress, it came on naturally and it can only leave when those elements are dealt with... naturally.

Yes, things like exercise and diet help, no matter what your mindset.

But the Natural Remedies section is still full of people looking for fixes outside themselves. (Oils, pills, etc.) And some may find magic in those things.

Many of us don't, particularly if we buy into the science from anxiety giants like Claire Weekes who taught us the root of panic/stress disorder.

The great thing about a simple dedicated area is... if someone believes anxiety is a sickness that must be medicated away, they simply wouldn't waste their time in that section.

However, if someone holds a different view... they'd be able to hold conversations about recovery methods and strategies without it always coming back around to "what are you on.... I'm on this... I take this much of that... I changed last week to this... etc."

Seems fair, right? I ceratinly can't see why anyone would be opposed to it.

---------- Post added at 06:58 ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 ----------

I'd be ok with a section like this, since I'm non-med. Things like talking about how self-care helps - sleep, exercise, nutrition etc., meditation, thoughts, behaviors. Perhaps even discussing what is going on in our therapy sessions if people are willing to divulge. How habits affect anxiety (good or bad). Things like getting support from those around you. Apps for tracking. What our anxiety cues/triggers are. If supplements are considered non-med then that too.

I can think of all kinds of topics for a section like this. I think it would be more beneficial than only seeing the "Do I have X" posts, which definitely reinforces the ability to detect those thought patterns but not much else.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Well said, and the great thing is... it's not as if those other forums are going to go away. There will still be places to ask "do I have X" and "what are you taking" for people to use. It's an additiion, not a subtraction... in concept.

Hollow
10-12-18, 17:15
I think this is a good idea, it would be interesting to read how people are trying to tackle these issues without being on medication.

CaliGuy
11-12-18, 16:11
I think this is a good idea, it would be interesting to read how people are trying to tackle these issues without being on medication.

Agree Hollow. A few interesting points about this topic...

-The biggest experts on anxiety/stress disorder almost all believe recovery is possilbe (if not more likely) without medication

-Even those who promote a "half and half" strategy (meds and therapy) generally will tell you think think behavior modification is the long term answer.

-Few out there besides drug companies seem to believe meds are the ONLY way to recover.

And to be the biggest reason to add this forum..

-Those on meds CAN learn from people who are not.

The biggest strides I've made in my recovery have been learning from people like Claire Weeks, Paul David, etc.

And finally...

-Those new to the condition should be able to read information to make a choice. If you ONLY see meds as an option here - a newbie might think..."oh no, I'm doomed unless I medicate myself."

I wish we could have a poll on the main page. Few people see this section.
Hopefully the mods will consider this at some point.

CaliGuy
11-12-18, 16:23
Whilst I agree re: people choosing to be medicated or not medicated, I think it's unfair to assume there are people that think you NEED meds.

Sent from my moto e5 using Tapatalk

Agree exactly! That's what I'm saying. Most people don't believe that.

Though, I think if someone was new to recovery... and visited this forum... and all they saw was thread after thread with "what's your dose, this is my dose"... they would come to the conclusion that all of these "experts" here are taking meds, I guess I sholud too.

Whereas if there was a section dedicated to med-free recovery, they would at least see there is another way.

To me, it's the kind thing to do... as beyond opinions, some people just don't tolerate medications. So what about them, are they just out of luck?

nomorepanic
12-12-18, 17:50
I am not sure people would post in just one place though and what would it be called?

I had one suggestion from FMP on this.

If they were having therapy they would post in that section surely?

Then there is "success stories" and "top tips" forums as well.

MyNameIsTerry
13-12-18, 02:10
Whilst I'm not against it I think the argument for it needs to centre on it's benefits but not at the cost of segregating those who would use it. I say this because at present we have a meds board, natural remedies, therapy, top tips, etc and they will encourage people to talk more on topic than a general board like GAD, OCD, HA, Symptoms, etc. What you don't want to do is separate out those who don't use any meds or supplements into a general/HA style board of there own where the posts are all mixed up about different things as that then goes against the point of having the other Issues boards.

And it will have the opposite effect (your point about those on meds learning from those who don't use them) as this new board will become a mini forum of it's own (as the HA board largely seems to be for HAers as they rarely seem to stray from there) because those on meds may not read your board and those who join yours may not read those who use the other boards because they use meds.

CaliGuy
13-12-18, 16:27
You both raise good points. Though, I would wonder about this scenario...

Let's say someone is new to stress disorder and they found this forum from Google...

They click on and see forum categories like..
-GAD
-Phobias
-Medication
-Symptoms

Etc...

They're simply going to choose one of those and start digging.

But one thing almost all people new to this have in common is that they would like to avoid using drugs. VERY VERY few start having symptoms and say... "I can't wait to medicate myself!"

So, if there was a forum in that list labeled:
Medication-free recovery advice and encouragement
(For example)

... it seems to me like it might get a little traffic. Certainly not as much as the other threads as most people are on drugs here it seems. But, I wonder if that's a product of the forum itself? (X begets X)

I'm not taking anything so when I come here, it can be quite discouraging to see every thread devolve into "this is my dose, what's your dose" talk.

My guess is... someone new (or new'ish) would come in, check out a few things in the symptoms section, the GAD section, maybe bounce around.

You could be right though, it might segregate the non-meds people a bit. But my suspicion is that there are many folks here taking meds who might like to not be some day... many who would like to avoid it... etc.