PDA

View Full Version : scared of metronidazole

helenhoo
10-12-18, 08:48
Been prescribed this for a BV infection but I've read the side effects after taking one and now I'm terrified. I read it can cause seizures and I'm so scared.

RadioGaGa
10-12-18, 10:33
Is it the gel or tablet form?

Really, I don't think anyone on here can say anything besides the fact that seizures affect ~1 in 10,000 people who take it. That's a very uncommon incidence...

Good luck.

Oops. Just saw you said that you've taken one, so ignore the gel or tablet question lol

Duchesskitty
10-12-18, 11:39
See if you can get Clindamycin gel instead. Works well and has less systemic effects.

EmmerLooeez
10-12-18, 12:35
Helen you'll be okay. It's so unlikely that you will have a seizure. X

Sent from my moto e5 using Tapatalk

helenhoo
11-12-18, 12:34
Now read that it causes a aseptic meningitis...

ankietyjoe
11-12-18, 13:32
And an untreated infection can cause death.

Honestly, they HAVE to put these things in the leaflets. Even something like aspirin can cause seizures, and stomach bleeding, and breathing issues, and...... you get the picture.

Stop reading the leaflet.

RadioGaGa
11-12-18, 14:02
And an untreated infection can cause death.

Honestly, they HAVE to put these things in the leaflets. Even something like aspirin can cause seizures, and stomach bleeding, and breathing issues, and...... you get the picture.

Stop reading the leaflet.

Fantastic post. Agree completely

StephA
11-12-18, 14:29
Metronidazole mostly causes a metallic taste and loss of appetite. I’ve taken it before and have a few family members who have, and we all had similar side effects. It is actually better than Clindamycin as it’s not such a broad spectrum antibiotic. Clindamycin has some bad gut side effects, including C Diff! If you have BV again, ask for the Metronidazole vaginal gel instead.

Darksky
11-12-18, 14:51
They have to put everything...and I mean everything in those leaflets....it's called covering their arses lol. Metronidazole is a very common med. my dogs have it when they get a gut infection and the trots, usually from eating road kill, the mingers.

I would have no hesitation in taking it. Also stop googling if you're getting your side effects info that way. As Joe quite rightly said, an untreated infection is far worse than worrying about some rare side effect,

pulisa
11-12-18, 17:19
Helen, you have successfully negotiated the potential minefield of childbirth....so a course of antibiotics is pretty small fry compared to that.

Of course you can ask for trouble by scrutinising the side effects and googling rare adverse reactions...but why would you want to do that?

Carys
11-12-18, 19:05
Whats a BV infection?

laura1988
11-12-18, 19:19
i have taken them a lot (gum issues) not had one side effect, i always start a new tablet in the day around other people that can help if something goes wrong (it wont!)

Positive thoughts

RadioGaGa
11-12-18, 20:14
Whats a BV infection?

Bacterial vaginosis is an infection in the vagina. Usually has a very malodorous discharge. It's common and treated with abx

Metronidazole's brand name is Flagyl - can anyone work out why? Lol ;-)

Sorry to add humour to this post, but HelenHoo, you really have nothing to fear with it. It's a common Rx and I've taken it myself twice in the past (for dental infections, not BV as I'm a male haha)

ALSO I'M SURE YOU'VE BEEN TOLD BY YOUR DOCTOR/PHARMACIST ALREADY, BUT DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL ON THIS ANTIBIOTIC. NOT EVEN ONE GLASS!!!