PDA

View Full Version : Want to google stomach cancer. Please help me stop

Clarice1
10-12-18, 17:37
I have had bowel problems for a month and been paranoid about bowel cancer,
But I also have a really gassy stomach, for e.g. I just ate dinner at work and now it is churning away, making weird noises and I really want to google stomach cancer symptoms to reassure myself but know it won't work. How can I resist and how do you distract yourself when you have the urge? I am 34 years old.

RadioGaGa
10-12-18, 17:43
Sometimes I find I just can't control the urge and I Google. You can try distracting yourself or use the logic that the chances your fears (eg bowel cancer AND stomach cancer, simultaneously at the age of 34 would be SO rare youd be in the medical journals.

You might benefit for treatment for GORD (UK spelling) or GERD in America. This is just a fancy name for acid reflux.

Speak to your doctor about that. Also watch what food you eat. For me tomatoes, spicy foods, greasy foods eg sausage rolls etc are a big no unless I take my labsoprazole.

Fishmanpa
10-12-18, 17:55
If you're going to do it, you're going to do it. We can give you 10 pages of why not but ultimately, you have to muster up the will power not to.

Why not read the ARTICLES (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles) or the SYMPTOMS (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms) page as what you describe is there. You can also utilize the SEARCH feature and find hundreds of pages of similar problems and replies from members.

Positive thoughts

Hypomania
10-12-18, 18:19
You could try "urge surfing". That's when you feel your anxieties/urges to check something (ie: googling stomach cancer) and make a point to distract yourself for a set amount of time. Once that time expires, if you still feel the overwhelming need, the go for it.

The theory is that over a 10 minute period of just sitting with your anxiety, your anxiety level will go down, and you will no longer feel the urge google etc. Obviously this takes a lot of practice and self control, but in the log run it's supposed to be beneficial.

Clarice1
10-12-18, 21:49
Thank you all.
I know if I google the symptoms I will make myself feel worse. It is so hard to resist.