PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram Side Effects

ScottC2105
30-08-07, 13:21
I took one 20mg tablet at 10:15pm last night (about an hour or two after I had a bad panic attack). I was really tired for a couple of hours and then I got a sudden rush of energy and it sounds good but it wasn't as I wanted to do stupid things. It settled and I couldn't sleep for a few hours as I got very hot.

After waking up this morning I'm shaking and have hot flushes plus the back of my brain/head feels cold too I don't know if that's normal or not. I'm a bit more anxious even if I am not thinking of anything can anyone put my mind at rest?

Thanks.

Frankie23
30-08-07, 14:13
It will settle

Have you just started taking them?

my first to weeks were horrible couldnt sleep etc i still even 4 weeks in get extremely tired and find it hard to settle down to sleep. Once im asleep its not to bad.

If youve just started taking them you will get hot flushes this could just be your heightened awareness to taking the drugs

ScottC2105
30-08-07, 14:36
I started last night :). I'm anxious a lot more now but it might be because I have just started taking them I don't know.

What about the feeling of my brain being cold is that normal?

samc100
30-08-07, 15:58
Hi Scott - it takes time.... took me about 10-12 days before I felt an improvement but my side effects were just as bad as the attacks so I didn't care!

Hope these improve things for you but don't get upset if they don't cos there are others to try and it is hard to decide which are best for individuals.

yorkylover
30-08-07, 16:01
Hi scott it does take time to settle down.I was told by my gp to take citalopram in the morning.:hugs:

ScottC2105
30-08-07, 19:21
Thanks... I'll have my second later on as they make me sleepy so I will have it before I goto bed.

honeybee3939
30-08-07, 19:24
Hi Scott

Stick with them hun, they usually highten your anxiety at first, but will soon settle down.

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

groovygranny
30-08-07, 19:51
Hi Scott,

All absolutely normal - I started on the max dose of 60mg daily, and the first few weeks can be pretty rough, but once they've 'kicked in' you should feel a vast improvement.

Not nice at the moment I know, but it will get better.

As has already been advised - stick with it !

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

ScottC2105
30-08-07, 21:44
My head is killing me it really hurts and has been all day. Any suggestions?

groovygranny
31-08-07, 00:14
Hi Scott,

Your anxiety is obviously quite strong at the moment - and this may, or may not, be a contributory cause of your bad headaches.

I'm inclined to say 'try and relax' but understand that this may prove impossible so I would suggest maybe another visit to your GP, if only for some reassurance.

Sending you big hugs

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

ScottC2105
31-08-07, 10:27
I'm going to have to stop taking these is what I have been advised. I tried to commit suicide last night and currently while I am typing this I have way too many thoughts about doing so.

My CPN has said its a severe side effect and I shouldn't take no more and try something else :(.

ScottC2105
31-08-07, 23:46
Just thought I would update you all, I have stopped having these and will see what else I can try on Monday right now it feels so good not to have a pounding headache :).

groovygranny
01-09-07, 00:30
Hello Scott,

Glad you sought medical advice.

Thanks for giving an update - and good luck for Monday. Let us know how you get on ok?

Take care

:hugs:

KittyKate
02-09-07, 00:37
Just thought I would update you all, I have stopped having these and will see what else I can try on Monday right now it feels so good not to have a pounding headache :).

Aww Scott, hope you feel better soon.

Big hugs x

erialc
02-09-07, 12:16
Awww Scott xx

I know the ups and downs of Citalopram - I am no longer on them as I felt they were making me feel worse.

I have a great doctor who always listens to me (even when I think I am being a pain) He said to me - what ever works for me is the right treatment.
I saw a counsellor and that was not good for me.

I am now trying to deal with it on my own and with the help of NMP. I have good and bad times but as time is going on I am having more good than bad.

I hope you feel better soon

Take Care

Claire xx

ScottC2105
02-09-07, 13:16
They made me feel worse for the 2 days I had them, I know 2 days isn't long but the headache (migraine) would never go away and it was making me feel even worse.

Thanks for the support :).

matt1981
02-09-07, 15:03
Hiya, I have been taking 10mg a day for 10 days now, was horrid at first I still struggle with it sometimes but its getting better :) so stick with it :)

gilliano
02-09-07, 15:19
hi scott sorry to hear you not been too good on meds,dont give up yet there may be others you can try,stop thinking of the side effects and give them a good go eh.

thinking of you

take care

gill x

bluebirds2005
05-09-07, 16:55
I took citalopram for 2 and a half years and never once had any side effects but other meds i tried before hand the side effects were unbearable so i guess some meds just dont suit certain people. ive been off my citalopram for 8 months but have to go back on it tomorrow so maybe this time i will get side effects off them just have to wait and see