PDA

View Full Version : Going crazy with fears of oral cancer..

Tiatyrah
11-12-18, 16:53
Hopefully someone can help me or relate. I have had a bad cold last week and felt pain in my upper right jaw region, like a wisdom tooth pain. I didn't check then where the pain was coming from and left it alone (felt too miserable to check). The pain went down a bit and so I decided to check yesterday. I couldn't see anything, so I started to touch the place where it hurt for a few days.. I found a hard painful round ball,or bump it's smaller than a pea but hard and very painful! But again, can't see anything. I'm now terrified it's mouth cancer or something! It just won't leave my mind. Every time I search it up, there is nothing to be found except cancer.

Another reason why I didn't bother checking before is because on my right lower jaw is actually a wisdom tooth growing and hurting (but I'm not afraid of that).

Anyone can help me? Am I doomed..?

Worrywart84
11-12-18, 17:56
Are you feeling the wisdom tooth? How old are you?

Tiatyrah
11-12-18, 18:10
I can see and feel the wisdom tooth on the lower jaw yes, but the little round bump that im talking about is on the upper, well not on the jaw but in the roof of the mouth in the soft part.. I am 27 years old.

Worrywart84
11-12-18, 18:16
A statistic that helped me was that I have a 2 in 100,000 chance of having oral cancer at 34. I bet your stat is even lower.

Do you use tobacco or have HPV? If not, I think your chances are almost nonexistent.

When do you see your dentist again for your cleaning?

Tiatyrah
11-12-18, 18:51
I smoke yes, tried many times to quit but failed. I will try again of course but that's not a excuse.

I have visited my dentist last September, going again in March

rmq00108
12-12-18, 00:20
Painful usually is a good clue it's an infection.

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:18 ----------

You have to remember too that the substrate the bump is on is very hard, so it could just be hard because it's got tooth behind it

Fishmanpa
12-12-18, 00:27
~Sigh~... must be oral cancer week :doh:

No, you or anyone else here has described anything like oral cancer. Obviously you see the irony of having this fear and smoking?

Positive thoughts

rmq00108
12-12-18, 00:31
Didn't you say it was on the roof of your mouth?

Tiatyrah
12-12-18, 07:35
@rmq, it's not exactly on the hard part though, it's next to it on the softer part, when you have the last molar on the top right, there is a softer part below/next to it. In that area is where I have/feel this. But yes it was and is now again painful because I touched it too much. I am going to leave it alone now.

@Fishmanpa, it's a fear because I can feel a hard thing there but I can't see anything. I was so stupid to not check it out when it first started hurting but I didn't want to go through this anxiety again and thinking it was cancer (which I already do now) and I felt too sick. If I had checked earlier, maybe I could've seen something that's now maybe recovering. But there is nothing to be seen! I can only feel it.. Plus I can only think that a hard, painful bump (which is pea sized.. Maybe a bit smaller) that doesn't move, can only be cancer. As for the smoking, yes I do need to quit and have tried many times and really will do my best to try again but these fears aren't helping that much right now. You are saying that what I describe is not cancer but I can only find cancer on the stupid internet...

Fishmanpa
12-12-18, 14:38
You are saying that what I describe is not cancer but I can only find cancer on the stupid internet...

Nuff said. If you're that concerned, go see a medical professional "Told Ya So Gang" on standby.

Positive thoughts

Tiatyrah
12-12-18, 16:16
I went to the dentist today.. She felt it and couldn't tell me what it was. I have to return after Christmas to her again.
I thought I did the right thing so I could relax (I never go to doctors with my fears) but now I'm even more scared because she didn't know what it was..

Tiatyrah
13-12-18, 17:05
No idea how to feel or what to think. I haven't touched the spot all day yet because I'm afraid that it will either feel like it's grown or that it stayed the same size. Plus the dentist pushed quite hard and left me with a tiny wound that is now white and a bit painful, if I touch it, it might open again. I'm so scared of this being cancer and that my fear came true.. The fact that she didn't know what it was makes it even worse.. "return in 2 weeks" she said..

Fishmanpa
13-12-18, 17:22
She's following up in two weeks. I know that it's feeding your dragon but until then, there's not much you can do. Try to keep your hands off it and your dragon under wraps. Ask yourself, have any of the fears you had the last couple of years happened? (and you've had quite a few!) :wink:

I can tell you from my personal experience as well as others. Cancer lesions are not painful nor do they show up after a virus.

Positive thoughts

Tiatyrah
13-12-18, 22:03
I know that I have had many fears before and thankfully it was never reality. But, the symptoms weren't as real? As this is. Then the stuff you read on the net, that people had to wait 2 weeks and it ended up to be bad.. Plus her not knowing what it is makes it hard to try and believe it's nothing. And Christmas days were supposed to be good this year!...

I have looked and the wound / white patch? Has reduced, that she made by pressing it. I still haven't touched it to feel if it's grown or not though, somehow I'm afraid to do so too. Thanks for your response Fish.. Feel quite alone in this haha

Darksky
13-12-18, 22:29
Have you got your wisdom teeth through in the top already,
I ask because it may be one trying to come through in the wrong place. I know someone who had one coming through the roof of the mouth.
That would be painful too.

Also think, that the dentist may not know exactly what it is but she would sure know if it was cancer. They are trained to spot that.

Fishmanpa
13-12-18, 22:48
I have looked and the wound / white patch? Has reduced, that she made by pressing it.

Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

That should be all you need to know :winks:

Positive thoughts

Tiatyrah
14-12-18, 15:53
I have been to my doctor today so he could take a look as well and give his opinion. He thinks (but he didn't say he definitely thought) I got this while I had a cold. He wants to see me next week again and he thinks it should be gone then. I have taken a look before I went to see him and touched it to see how it is now. I think it has grown a little bit but now it feels like it's not attached to something because when I touch it now, it jumps away? It's still a bit painful when I touch it but wanted to see how it was now (actually hoping it would be gone..)

A lump that's not attached to something and jumps away is a good sign wasn't it? I hope the doctor his thoughts are right and that it is indeed gone next week.

Tiatyrah
20-12-18, 12:14
Bah.. The thing isn't gone, but I do think it's smaller a bit. I have to go to the doctor tomorrow again but I'm so scared it's mouth cancer..

Tiatyrah
14-02-19, 21:38
Right I'm going totally crazy about submandibular cancer.. My right submandibular salivary gland is bigger and a bit harder than my left one.. Not rock hard but I can feel it much easier than the right one.

Anyone else have this? I'm so afraid of it being cancer..

nomorepanic
14-02-19, 22:18
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Tiatyrah
14-02-19, 22:26
This is a total different story than my previous post though..

Fishmanpa
15-02-19, 01:28
This is a total different story than my previous post though..

But it's the same pattern and node fears you displayed previously :shades:

Positive thoughts

Tiatyrah
15-02-19, 02:41
No Fish, the previous post was about a little bump inside my mouth (which is still there but small and I don't worry about it anymore), this is about my salivary glands below my jaw, chin.. Not inside the mouth..

Fishmanpa
15-02-19, 10:57
No Fish

Yes Tiatyrah... it's the same pattern you display in your previous threads and the fears are just as irrational :lac:

Based on some of the post dates, it does seem to follow a pattern with your monthly cycle too. My daughter has anxiety and she's always been a basket case around her time of month.

Anyway... this is a non-issue as were the other head and neck fears :shades: The real question is, when are your going to get real life help with your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

Tiatyrah
16-02-19, 01:01
I thought that too after a while, maybe I am this way during certain times of the month because I saw I posted and had make pictures on my phone around the same dates, starting around the 11th. But then I also saw posts that I made that was at the start of a new month or the end of it. Most are around the same yes, but also a few that are not..

As for help for my anxiety, I have none, I don't want to take medication for my anxiety and my doctor only wants to give me oxazepam..

Fishmanpa
16-02-19, 02:56
As for help for my anxiety, I have none, I don't want to take medication for my anxiety and my doctor only wants to give me oxazepam..

Sadly, if you're the one making the bed, you're the one that has to sleep in it :shrug: :weep:

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts