PDA

View Full Version : Weird head / brain jolt feeling

cattia
12-12-18, 12:05
Hi everyone. I've been doing better but I am struggling again at the moment. Maybe to do with the time of year as for some reason Christmas always seems to be a trigger for my anxiety.
For the past couple of months a weird thing has been happening, and it started happening every time I blow dry my daughter's hair. She has long hair and I will be brushing it with one hand and holding the dryer with the other. Every time when I am finished and turn off the dryer, I get this odd kind of jolting feeling. It is so hard to describe, but kind of like the jolt when I train hits the buffers at the end of the track, but it's kind of INSIDE MY HEAD rather than being an external physical sensation.
More recently it has happened a couple of times when I've been outside and come back in again, like a kind of adjustment from being outside to being inside but again the jolting feeling. LIke a moment of unsteadiness, almost dizziness but not in the sense that the room is spinning or anything.
I am really worried that these might be mini seizures of some sort or a sign of a brain tumor. I am trying to be rational but i can't think of any other reason why this would happen.
Can anyone even relate to what I am talking about? They feel somewhat similar to the brain zaps I had when I was withdrawing from SSRIs but I am not on any medication and haven;t been in over a year.

jojo2316
12-12-18, 12:41
I TOTALLY can. For me it almost felt like something “popped” in my head followed by dizziness and intense anxiety. I honestly thought something major had happened in my head but then I found out about brain zaps, and felt better. They are an anxiety symptom

cattia
12-12-18, 16:35
Thank you so much Jojo, I have read about brain zaps and I thought that's what they were too, but because it is such an unusual feeling, it's hard to know whether what you're experiencing is the same thing that other people are writing about even when it sounds the same!
I find it weird that it started happening when I was using the hair dryer and it seems to happen every time, and I don't know why that is. IT does make me feel a lot better to know that you relate to what I'm talking about because sometimes I feel like I'm going mad!

pulisa
12-12-18, 17:24
I can relate to that too. It's not a sign that you have a brain tumour, cattia, but it is a sign that Christmas is approaching and your brain is on high alert for any potentially sinister symptoms

AMomentofClarity
12-12-18, 17:26
This sounds like CLASSIC anxiety. I went through a multiple month phase with the exact same during a stressful period....once things calmed down it went away, especially when I took my mind off of it.

jojo2316
12-12-18, 17:29
It is the most extraordinary feeling. It first happened to me when I was in a book shop and I thought I was having a brain haemorrhage or a seizure or that I was going to pass out. It was truly terrifying. I had a run of them after that..... but then they tailed off and I haven’t had any for a year or so now. Like you say, it is so hard to describe so I wasn’t completely sure they were the same as brain zaps.... but it fits pretty well.... right done to the odd feelings of dizziness afterwards.....