PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack for nearly 24 hours

whispershadow
14-12-18, 12:34
It keeps lessening then the tiniest thing can make it start up again :frown::sofa:

BlueIris
14-12-18, 12:39
Hang in there. I've had ones like that before, but they don't last forever even though it feels as though they will.

What coping strategies are you using right now?

whispershadow
14-12-18, 12:50
I tried sleep but due to something happening last night on another forum, it's triggered this one and it won't completely go away :frown:

What does not help is I got a learning difficulty which makes it hard for me to understand a lot of information and they don't get it :sad:

BlueIris
14-12-18, 12:53
Okay, have you ever been taught any breathing exercises? I find them really helpful if I'm having a bad one but you need to carry on with them for a long time.

whispershadow
14-12-18, 12:58
I got taught cupping my hands over my face to calm down but last night that wasn't working it was so bad :(

I need to go to work :(

BlueIris
14-12-18, 13:00
It'll probably help you to be somewhere you can talk to people. When I'm really panicked I hate the thought of work but it almost always makes me feel better by stopping me spiralling.

Good luck!

whispershadow
14-12-18, 13:01
I can't trust anyone at work enough to tell them about my MI issues :(

Darksky
14-12-18, 13:57
I don't think Blueiris meant talking about your anx to people at work. Simply by being at work, talking about the days jobs, what happened on eastenders etc can serve has a huge distraction from what you are experiencing now.

It will end. Nothing lasts forever, even panic. The body can only do it for so long.

whispershadow
14-12-18, 21:50
I don't think Blueiris meant talking about your anx to people at work. Simply by being at work, talking about the days jobs, what happened on eastenders etc can serve has a huge distraction from what you are experiencing now.

It will end. Nothing lasts forever, even panic. The body can only do it for so long.

Try telling that to my body :frown:

BlueIris
14-12-18, 21:58
Thank you, Darksky, that's it exactly!

I can only say what works for me, but the more I have to engage with the world around me, the less the panic can get a grip.

whispershadow
14-12-18, 23:00
What does not help is there's a bad voice in my head that says mean things that idk if I'm allowed to repeat :(

BlueIris
15-12-18, 06:21
I think a lot of us have voices in our heads, Whispershadow. Mine say awful things that really distress me sometimes.

However, focusing on something else can make it easier to ignore them. I know it's tough, but they're only voices, they can't hurt you.

Darksky
15-12-18, 14:23
How are you today Whispershadow?

You are not your thoughts, remember that. Anxiety will take any outlet it can to put you through the wringer. If it's not chewing your body up or plaguing you with worry, it will pop these thoughts into your head. They are just thoughts, let them float away and don't grasp at them.

whispershadow
15-12-18, 19:47
Still very anxious, had another two panic attacks today :(

Scass
15-12-18, 20:12
Physically a panic attack can’t last that long. I know it feels like it is to you, but your body won’t let it. So what you’re feeling is anxiety- which will go on for as long as you keep worrying about it. Have you got any ideas on how to relax and calm yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whispershadow
15-12-18, 20:58
Physically a panic attack can’t last that long. I know it feels like it is to you, but your body won’t let it. So what you’re feeling is anxiety- which will go on for as long as you keep worrying about it. Have you got any ideas on how to relax and calm yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think mine was flaring up time and time again for over 24 hours :(

BlueIris
15-12-18, 21:01
I'd really suggest that you look through some of the resources here to help you cope with this.

Have you spoken to your GP about your anxiety?

whispershadow
16-12-18, 20:58
The professionals don't care. They said anxiety's "normal".

BlueIris
16-12-18, 21:44
Then maybe try to see a different doctor or counsellor? Anxiety's an evil condition, but there are ways you can help yourself.

Serendipitous
27-12-18, 04:39
Boy is it ever. Anxiety can do ask sorts of things to your mind, body, and spirit. Try to figure them out now instead of waiting for years like I did and now I find that I have a lot of unhealthy habits that don't help alleviate my panic attacks.