PDA

View Full Version : Does reading about illnesses trigger you?

travelgirl77
14-12-18, 16:48
I had been doing well for about a week...yes a week. Then, this morning I read a story about a child with a terminal brain tumor (the one I am scared about one of my children being diagnosed with) and now all I want to do is run up to school and check on them. Of course I won't, but now I am convinced that I read the story because I need to prepare myself for the eventual diagnosis of one of them. Like a sign. They are not exhibiting any symptoms now, but I still look for the symptoms to appear, convinced that it is only a matter of time.

My stomach is in knots right now.

I cannot even enjoy the holidays because I keep thinking this is the last one with one of the kids as they will be diagnosed with this horrible brain tumor and die before next year.

Does this happen to anyone else? I want to say it is all anxiety, but then my mind tells me, "no, it is a sign...you are being prepared for things to come." Do you just avoid the stories?

AMomentofClarity
14-12-18, 17:00
I had been doing well for about a week...yes a week. Then, this morning I read a story about a child with a terminal brain tumor (the one I am scared about one of my children being diagnosed with) and now all I want to do is run up to school and check on them. Of course I won't, but now I am convinced that I read the story because I need to prepare myself for the eventual diagnosis of one of them. Like a sign. They are not exhibiting any symptoms now, but I still look for the symptoms to appear, convinced that it is only a matter of time.

My stomach is in knots right now.

I cannot even enjoy the holidays because I keep thinking this is the last one with one of the kids as they will be diagnosed with this horrible brain tumor and die before next year.

Does this happen to anyone else? I want to say it is all anxiety, but then my mind tells me, "no, it is a sign...you are being prepared for things to come." Do you just avoid the stories?

All the time. The problem is exacerbated by the modern media who love sensationalizing stories and freaking people out. You’re best to avoid the stories. But when you can’t (like Facebook feeds, etc) you have to put that stats in perspective...like is it something that affects 1/100,000 type of thing..... then figure the odds are always HEAVILY on your side.

ankietyjoe
14-12-18, 17:43
I had been doing well for about a week...yes a week. Then, this morning I read a story about a child with a terminal brain tumor (the one I am scared about one of my children being diagnosed with) and now all I want to do is run up to school and check on them. Of course I won't, but now I am convinced that I read the story because I need to prepare myself for the eventual diagnosis of one of them. Like a sign.

There is no such thing, that's just superstition.

Yes you can, if you choose to pay no attention to what is basically just imagination.

Do you just avoid the stories?

Yes, that's exactly what you do.

Fishmanpa
14-12-18, 18:12
Does reading about illnesses trigger you?

The answer to that question is in virtually every thread. The words "I read", "I Googled", "I saw","I heard" etc. are written in nearly every post.

Even TV commercials, seeing or hearing the word cancer or something else can to the rabbit hole. It's the nature of the dragon I'm afraid.

Positive thoughts

Mindsight
14-12-18, 19:36
Dig this one and i laugh but it was not funny at the time

Remember the bridge in italy that colapsed that is what kicked of my anxiety a few months back i couldnt drive over bridges or roads with them without the fear of god now ive passed this issue im finding other interesting stuff to worry about its a crazy thing this brain

unsure_about_this
14-12-18, 22:00
Yes all the time, that why my therapy tells me not to read them, I still struggled with internet googling

Dave_Lister
14-12-18, 22:45
As Steven Toast would say "YES!"

Worrywart84
15-12-18, 18:51
Yep, I do this all the time and I always ask “is this a sign?!?!”

Please try to enjoy the holidays with your kids. Years from now you don’t want to regret missing out because you were in this fog.

I say this to you but also have to say this to myself regularly.