PDA

View Full Version : help!

Love
12-01-05, 15:32
Hi

I have recently got married and SO happy with my life right now. However, back in 2002 an ex-boyfriend's girlfriend told me he told her he might be HIV positive, which obviously scared the hell out of me. at the time, i went to my doctor and he said that it would be very unlikely that i would have contracted it as i was a regular blood donor, and they have to screen for HIV. Therefore i put it to bed. until a couple of months ago! i started thinking about it again, even though i know deep down there isnt a problem. i cant seem to get it out of my head. ive even gone back to my doctor, who said it would have shown up in my blood in 2002, and to 'forget about it' . the nurse at work has said it was 'cateogrically an impossibility' but its like im not believing them! i have given blood on at least 3 occasions since the incident so i know there is no way, but im just not listening! i even spoke to the National Blood service who said they would have informed me straight away if something was wrong!!!! i have told my husband about this who at first was very supportive and reassured me that all of these people are right, but now hes starting to get angry with me as im not letting it lie, even though deep down im fine! do you think it may be because my life has finally settled? i spent all of last year planning the wedding and moving house and now i need something else to focus on?! advice please!

nomorepanic
12-01-05, 15:51
Hi Love

Welcome aboard the forum.

Sorry to hear this is distressing you so much and I am sure you are just fine.

Why don't you ask the doc for a specific blood test for HIV and then that will put your mind at rest.

As you are a blood donor then you would know if there were problems but perhaps getting a specific test done will put your mind at ease once and for all.

Well done on the other aspects of your life.

Nicola

Meg
12-01-05, 17:33
**may be because my life has finally settled? i spent all of last year planning the wedding and moving house and now i need something else to focus on?! **

I think this is highly likely - too much time with thoughts just drifting and as this was brought to your attention and you stopped and dwelled on it then it has gathered momentum and energy and is being well fed on thoughts until you push it out by getting something else to concentrate on .

You can get a specific blood test - you need to be counselled about the implications of having it done first and often sign a consent form.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance