PDA

View Full Version : Prednisone medication making my leukemia fears even worse.

crazygal
17-12-18, 01:12
I've recently been put on prednisone( a common steroid) due to having low blood platelets. The doctor gave me 100mg. Which is quite high and the pharmacist even had to recheck.

I've been in a health anxiety panic since I've been on it. I'm having crazy night sweats, these white patches are appearing inside of my mouth. All which are fueling my leukemia fears even more. Especially since night sweats are a huge symptoms of it.

I know logically it's the medication giving me symptoms. But I can't help worrying that it's something more wrong me. Especially since my low blood platelet level.

My doctor said hasn't pointed to cancer, but I feel like maybe he's just overlooking things.

I feel so alone at the moment. I don't know what to do.

I still have 3 more weeks of this hell on this devil drug.

Ok top of all of this I'm also worried about getting a heart attack on this medication. As it has raised my BP slightly.

Double_Rainbow
17-12-18, 01:36
I am sorry you are going through this. I can't help with your question but I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. Idk what I would do in this situation, probably try reading the blood work. Leukemia has certain patterns, some cells are up and some are down. See if you can make anything of it. On a flip side though, it is fairly straightforward to see evidence of blood cancers on blood work. So if your doc doesn't see it, I guess the evidence doesn't support it? That should be reassuring, right?

MyNameIsTerry
17-12-18, 02:10
Steroids can cause thrush. That's likely the white patches in your mouth. It's because they kill the healthy bacteria causing an imbalance from that which normally keeps unhealthy bacteria at bay.

Eat yoghurt to add probiotics into your diet. It will help with meds like these or antibiotics that case this.

I've been on a fair few steroid doses with my asthma over the years and had similar problems with thrush.