PDA

View Full Version : Abnormal cortisol blood test .....freaking out

Emls78
17-12-18, 11:20
Last week I had an early morning cortisol blood test and I’ve just found out the results are abnormal and the doctor will call me tomorrow to discuss. Tomorrow seems a long time away! I’m going through all sorts in my mind. I don’t even know if my levels were high or low. What could the results mean? I’m trying not to google but I’m terrified I have something awful wrong like a tumour or life threatening disease. Does anyone have experience of this blood test or any illnesses associated with it. If my results were awful would they wait til tomorrow to speak to me?

Elen
17-12-18, 12:05
If it were really urgent you would have been asked to make an emergency appointment.

The fact that they have arranged a telephone consultation means that it will not be anything to worry about.

And yes stay away from google, wait to see what your doctor has to say.

Emls78
17-12-18, 17:36
Thank you for the reassurance. It’s nice to hear reason from someone else!

peter34uk
18-12-18, 23:50
Thank you for the reassurance. It’s nice to hear reason from someone else!

Let us know how it goes, im sure it be fine.

Emls78
19-12-18, 08:12
Let us know how it goes, im sure it be fine.

Cortisol level was low so now been referred for a further test to check for Addison’s disease. I’m waiting to hear from the hospital for an appointment. I’m somewhat reassured by my doctor who tells me it’s nothing serious and can be easily treated, however she knows how anxious I get and I’m hoping she’s not playing it down in order to keep me calm! It’s the waiting and not knowing that gets to me. Thank you so much for asking

Leslie735
20-12-18, 04:36
My Mom just went through this earlier this year, she had them tested a few times and had several other tests and no cause was found. Eventually they went back to normal and Dr. said it was probably from stress/anxiety.