PDA

View Full Version : GP Surgery keeps hassling me.

Carnation
18-12-18, 12:12
I just wanted some feedback from other members to see whether they experience the same thing with their GP Surgery.
Firstly, I don't rush to the GP if I have a cold/flu or virus and I am not taking any meds.
And because I only go when I feel it is necessary, I am being bombarded with phone calls, texts and letters demanding I go because I have not been for about 2 years. And I just don't understand why.
I never been a person to attend doctors regularly and a ten year period what not be unusual for me. My father was the same.
I suffer with mental health and they can't help me with that. It's out of their depth.
They are now saying unless I attend, they will wipe me up the books. Can they do this?
You may well say just go, but now it's to the point that the receptionist has been so rude to me, that it has affected anxiety to the point where I am frightened to go and worried it will push my BP up high and then they will have a reason to suggest meds and tests.
I have been in tears this morning and the receptionist was horrible and even though I explained my high anxiety and panic attacks, she dismissed it and shouted at me demanding I make an appointment which felt like she was bullying me. She also said I need to provide utility bills for their records and I don't have any as it is all in my Partner's name and give him the money but no record in my name. She said that this is needed for me to continue being a patient. :weep:

BlueIris
18-12-18, 12:15
Not quite sure where you stand on this one - is it a small practice, or is it maybe worth going back and seeing if another receptionist is on on a different day. I'm terrified of visiting the GP, and hearing from them always makes me panicky even if it's for perfectly innocent reasons, so I can't imagine how you must be feeling right now.

Might it be possible to have a chat to one of the practice nurses and explain your situation? They might be more sympathetic.

Carnation
18-12-18, 12:34
BlueIris, thanks for replying.
I actually don't think it is anything to do with my well-being at all. I think it is a paperwork thing and to do with NHS cutbacks. But honestly, I get dozens of calls, texts and letters asking me to attend an appointment even though I feel no need to go and I tell them this. It's built up into a major fear of mine now because of the harassment, when before I reasonably ok with going.
My old GP retired and I don't like his replacement, so there's another reason.
I wonder if they can dismiss me for not going regularly. Maybe new rules and a slightly gestapo approach has been born? :scared15:

BlueIris
18-12-18, 13:22
I'm sure it's just about the paperwork, but if you can chat to a friendly face there maybe they can make a note of this and get the harrassment to stop?

Carnation
18-12-18, 13:55
BlueIris, my partner already did that for me, but in the last month I have had 2 emails, a text, a letter and 3 phone calls. I don't understand what they are trying to do to me? :(

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

I can only surmise that they intention is to get patients off there books if you don't attend regular appointments. They have always pushed meds with me, but I don't take meds, never have done.
Is it possible I don't earn them enough money?

BlueIris
18-12-18, 13:56
That's awful, but I suspect I know why they're doing it - if they don't see you every so often they won't receive funding for you as their patient.

Do you have any idea why they need you to book an appointment? It might be one of those things it's easier to get over with. I'd suggest changing GPs, but that would also entail more checks and appointments and would probably be equally stressful.

Carnation
18-12-18, 14:14
I have decided to write them a firm letter in hope they will stop hounding me and making my life even more anxious than what it already is.

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 13:57 ----------

I think so BlueIris.
My Partner has already emailed them about this a few months ago. Despite that, I have received 3 emails, 2 texts a letter and 3 phone calls in the last month and I know it will continue, I just know it will.
So, I have decided to write a firm letter, which may result in losing my GP Surgery altogether, but that could be their intentions all along.
I don't take meds, so maybe I am not making them enough money?
Whatever, I can't have this worry and what feels like harassment.

---------- Post added at 14:07 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

Oops, think I posted similar post twice. :doh:
See what a mess they have got me in.!

---------- Post added at 14:14 ---------- Previous post was at 14:07 ----------

Apparently they want me to go in for no particular reason. Just to see the GP.
Yes, you are right about changing Surgery, but this one I can walk to, but now have no faith in.
They don't understand anxiety, they have admitted that and refer you to NHS therapists with a waiting list as long as your arm, leg and the deep blue sea!

MyNameIsTerry
18-12-18, 14:20
I didn't see my GP for years but I was having prescriptions. But before that I must have gone the best part of 10 years without seeing them.

As I understand it, striking patients off is a last resort. Anything online seems to be about the breakdown in relationship or violence issues. :shrug:

I wonder if they are doing a clear up of patients to get rid of anyone that shouldn't be there? But even so, this seems excessive and worthy of a complaint. And that receptionist seems like she is using threats to achieve a box being ticked. :mad:

They can't strike you off for complaining anymore, not easily anyway, they have rules against that as can be seen on sites online. That was the old days when people were afraid to even contradict their doctors for fear of it. Thankfully the NHS Charter is more about patient involvement in decisions.

Have you thought of giving PALS a call? They deal with disputes with GP surgeries if you can't complain to the practice manager (but I think you have to choose to do one then can't do the other, it explains that on the PALS pages) so they could easily tell you whether this is appropriate for a surgery.

pulisa
18-12-18, 14:21
I didn't know you could be penalised for NOT going..I presume it's a very small practice? Maybe they are threatened with closure or amalgamation?

It is your right to be registered with an NHS GP no matter how infrequently you attend. I do hope you can sort this out with a letter to the Practice Manager. It's really bad of them to harass you like this.

Fishmanpa
18-12-18, 14:35
Here in the States, it's common to go for a yearly wellness check up. It's common sense health wise to do so anyway. There are many common ailments we get, especially as we age, that may require treatment or meds. Heck, it was at a yearly check in my late 30's that the cholesterol and BP issues that ran in my family were discovered in me.

I go yearly and I have to anyway as I'm on a half a dozen prescription meds and everything has to be evaluated.

That said, it's not unusual for them to contact you several times as reminders. Discontinuing being a patient is a personal decision but in all honesty, I think a yearly wellness exam is a good thing.

Positive thoughts

KK77
18-12-18, 14:42
Good advice here but just wanted to concur with others that there are no "mandatory" rules in place re "check-ups" (unless you join a new surgery) other than med reviews, which many practices tend to ignore anyway :lac:

You have written a letter so see where they go with this. That they want to see proof of address makes me suspect this is about striking off so-called "ghost" patients who are deceased or have moved away from the area. Or of course fraudsters pffft :ohmy:

MyNameIsTerry
18-12-18, 14:46
Good advice here but just wanted to concur with others that there are no "mandatory" rules in place re "check-ups" (unless you join a new surgery) other than med reviews, which many practices tend to ignore anyway :lac:

You have written a letter so see where they go with this. That they want to see proof of address makes me suspect this is about striking off so-called "ghost" patients who are deceased or have moved away from the area. Or of course fraudsters pffft :ohmy:

That's a good point, KK. One of the legitimate reasons for strike off is patients who have left their catchment area as it's just a tidy up exercise and the patient is expected to register elsewhere anyway.

I wonder if there have been any boundary changes?

Elen
18-12-18, 15:04

Think that you have possibly hit the nail on the head KK

I hope that your letter works.

Things are different up here and I had to go to my local health authority when I had difficulties with a practice

Carnation
18-12-18, 16:39
I can't thank you enough for all your replies, advice and help. Pulisa it is not a small practice at all, in fact they are advertising for new patients.
I think I have written a good letter to send, also elaborating on my anxiety and how it has affected me.
I will let you know what happens, however my o/h who wrote a letter on my behalf, didn't get a reply. :shrug:

pulisa
18-12-18, 17:52
Just wondering whether mentioning anxiety may cause you to be "labelled"?

Darksky
18-12-18, 18:13
All this is a surprise to me. I thought they got paid for every patient on their list whether you went to see them or not. So if you never went, they were paid for nothing...result :)

I have not heard of mine doing this, I go years without going. As for that rude receptionist, this is quite common I've heard. So many people I know moan about medical receptionists I almost think it's part of thejob discription.

Magic
18-12-18, 18:50
Yes doctors are paid for each patient they have. Never heard of anyone being struck off at our surgery for not being a regular patient.
We have the odd receptionists that are not so nice.
I have to have annual check ups like Fishman, and I take drugs every day.
If it was not for my doctor I would not be here today
So sorry you have had to go through this unpleasantness Carnation x

Scass
18-12-18, 19:18
Firstly I would complain to the practice manager, and maybe ask them to explain themselves.

Also, why do you think that they wouldn’t help you with your mental health, have you had a bad experience with them? X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buster70
18-12-18, 19:50
Hi carnation , my Docs is the opposite you can't get an appointment for love nor money , my partner has had to complain about snotty receptionists a couple of times , there always seems to be one who thinks they are above the doctors themselves , they aren't there to judge you or make diagnosis,one at my partners practice opened a private letter my partner had written to her doctor , it was sealed with the doctors name on it yet she tore it open and read it in front of her , that said some receptionists have been incredibly helpful and discrete.
some doctors do telephone appointments so you could just make a telephone appointment and talk to your doctor about why you don't want an appointment , you can also mention the pushy receptionist .
As kk said they probably are just sorting out which patients are no longer with them so they don't waste time sending out reminders etc .
Take care :)

Carnation
18-12-18, 20:34
Yes, I was thinking that Pulisa. I might not dwell the anxiety bit in my letter.
I really appreciate everyone's help on this matter.
I know I am sensitive, but I really did think this a strange way of running a practice.

MyNameIsTerry
19-12-18, 02:28
It's funny really, they are moaning about not having enough time and then they do mad stuff like this! :doh:

I can remember years ago my mum always regarded these receptionists as the security guard on the front gate with all the keys. They got used to thinking they could block you and do what they wanted. It always amazes me how they start asking about your symptoms :doh: Now if I wanted someone to explain about administration I would happily listen to them but that doesn't take 8 years of training. :winks:

Some are great though. We've got some jobsworths at ours. And some who try to cover up mistakes they make and refuse to apologise for their errors. Our surgery are well known to the chemist across the road for issuing problematic prescriptions or failing to put all meds on that are asked for (which is bad when you think about old folks on tons of things that can struggle to remember).

Years ago I put in a repeat prescription for my asthma inhalers to be refused. I asked why and they said they decided I know longer had asthma. I had not even seen anyone. Then they tried to make me see a GP just to agree I still had my chronic condition. In the end, and looking rather aggrieved, they were persuaded their mess was theirs to clear up and simply asking the GP to reinstate the meds they cancelled without any medical review could be achieved without wasting a GP's time with a pointless appointment for an admin error. :mad:

It's a shame really in one way. If I had had an asthma attack I could sued them for a lottery win. :doh:

Carnation
19-12-18, 10:01
Terry, I know they make mistakes and nearly killed my mum from incorrect medication. They were all over us like a very concerned doctor then.
And when I first had anxiety I was always there, you know stuff, please check my heart, my head, my lungs, my bloods. It got to the point where they would say, "what is it now?!?!?"
So you can't win.
I was thinking this morning, I should have just asked them why they keep harassing me. Such a simple question. Maybe I might have been frightened of their answer and buried my head in the sand for fear of them finding something deadly.
And I didn't write to them before incase it caused a bad relationship. It's gone past that now.
So I'll send it and see what happens.
Whatever will be, will be.
Thanks again for all the feedback, it has been more than helpful. :)

whispershadow
19-12-18, 14:15
Can you change surgeries? That receptionist sounds horrible :frown:

Sunnydelight
19-12-18, 17:04
If you can stand it just go I suffer with anxiety but I have now refused long term
Antidepressants felt suicide on 3 of them
I much rather try and beat it with out meds if I can I take diazepam occasionally I have had to pay for private therapy because the cues for mental cbt are two long !! I was on brink of suicide and saying 6-9 months waiting list and that I need long term therapy but I may not even get accepted for it and I should argue it if I don’t !! Advice of my chrisis team 😒

Darksky
19-12-18, 17:40
The receptionists in mine always quiz you on your symptoms. They are actually told to do it, so they can place you with what professional is best. Nurse, Doctor.
I have issues with this....firstly it's supposed to be private between you and the doctor. Also are they qualified to make decisions about who you should see.

Whispershadow....are you feeling better now? Xx

Carnation
19-12-18, 22:21
Darksky, I find the receptionists judgemental, nosy, uncaring and controlling. :lac:
Whispershadowand Sunnydelight , I may end up changing as I think they have made it impossible to feel calm and trusting.
Thank you for your thoughts. :)

jcd_gad
19-12-18, 23:22
I'm sorry to hear that. I'd find a new gp

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

LouiseAndy
20-12-18, 01:51
Maybe they have to keep contacting you until they get some type of reply from you? When my sister moved country, they kept sending her letters and trying to contact her. I think they sent like ten letters before the new person living in the house my sister had rented manged to contact her! When she contacted them they were not very pleasant about it! Even thought had let them know she was living, apparently the memo "didn't pass onto the right hands" :shrug:

I hope you mange to get some good feed from them soon x!

MyNameIsTerry
20-12-18, 03:20
Maybe they have to keep contacting you until they get some type of reply from you? When my sister moved country, they kept sending her letters and trying to contact her. I think they sent like ten letters before the new person living in the house my sister had rented manged to contact her! When she contacted them they were not very pleasant about it! Even thought had let them know she was living, apparently the memo "didn't pass onto the right hands" :shrug:

I hope you mange to get some good feed from them soon x!

Yeah, ours will do that to keep their numbers accurate as it drives their funding. There have been reports in the media fairly recently about how many millions a year are being wasted by patients registered at multiple surgeries.

It makes you wonder where those missing millions actually go? :whistles: Patient care, just a different patient, or GP salary?

---------- Post added at 03:20 ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 ----------

Terry, I know they make mistakes and nearly killed my mum from incorrect medication. They were all over us like a very concerned doctor then.
And when I first had anxiety I was always there, you know stuff, please check my heart, my head, my lungs, my bloods. It got to the point where they would say, "what is it now?!?!?"
So you can't win.
I was thinking this morning, I should have just asked them why they keep harassing me. Such a simple question. Maybe I might have been frightened of their answer and buried my head in the sand for fear of them finding something deadly.
And I didn't write to them before incase it caused a bad relationship. It's gone past that now.
So I'll send it and see what happens.
Whatever will be, will be.
Thanks again for all the feedback, it has been more than helpful. :)

Carnation, I remember all the mess they made with your mum in the hospitals too. Shocking stuff. And then there was that arrogant GP who berated you in reception in front of other patients and was she also the one who said she couldn't rule out cancer yet her own colleague and your dentist said it was nonsense. :doh:

I just put in a repeat prescription for my BP meds which will run out right close to New Year's Day but no, they want it putting in later regardless of how the week with be carved up with bank holidays and how it will affect those 3 days it takes to get them signed. Apparently because I still have two weeks of the last one left adding another month on top is too dangerous for them. Funny really, in two weeks they will give me a batch of 28 pills all in one which would be enough to do the job if that was my intention. Bureaucracy over common sense. I thought I was helping them, lesson learned...:lac:

Carnation
20-12-18, 20:49
What a memory you have Terry. :)
Yep, come to think of it, they have not been great, so maybe its a sign to change.

They do that now with prescriptions and even worse, forget to process it as my o/h has had his prescription so late that he has had to go cold turkey for days!!!! :mad:

Thanks jcd and LouiseAndy :)

---------- Post added at 20:49 ---------- Previous post was at 20:34 ----------

I forgot to mention that the last letter demands I send them a photo ID?????
Whatever for? Have they forgot what I look like or do they only have a memory of 2 years? Surely they had enough of my ugly mug when I needed reassurance on a weekly basis and that I wasn't dying and it was only anxiety? I say 'only', because that they were their words, not mine.
My o/h has not had letters or been asked for photo ID and he is at the same surgery and has not been there for 3 years. This is what is so confusing,
It seems like they have circled me out for some reason. Maybe because I don't take meds. :shrug:

MyNameIsTerry
21-12-18, 03:14
In some ways, Carnation, it's got a load of holes in it in others :ohmy:

It doesn't sound a good practice to me.

Don't be afraid to complain, it's unpleasant as there is all the history about how they would strike people off for simply disagreeing with a doctor years ago (arrogant sods) but the NHS doesn't allow this now and their are ways of taking things above the practice.

I suspect they don't care about MrC since they see his repeat prescriptions going in. Until I went for my asthma check up (then got into the >40's one and all the stuff from the resulting Hypertension) I hadn't been for years and my GP had forgotten all about me and all those reviews he should be doing. My dentist and opticians send out letters to remind me, the NHS on the other hand...just a number (not that I'm suggesting it's not my responsibility but those who know me on here will have seen me talk about how it's meds and my therapy is over so nothing really other than ticking a GP review box on the computer and I turned to self help groups like NMP...my GP is yet to notice this).