PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on how to overcome health anxiety

gg478
19-12-18, 00:04
I just like everyone else on this website have health anxiety and again just like everyone else I hate it. Now it doesn't really effect my daily life like I can still do my daily task without much interference but my worry about whatever will still be there in the back of my mind. I'm afraid of getting diseases of any kind like I'm scared of getting cancer of any kind skin, lymphoma,leukemia, melanoma, all of it. I'm also scared of getting something like HIV/Aids or any kind of hepatitis. I've never worried about any of this before this year so I was wondering what are some of your advice to help deal with or overcome health anxiety? What is something that you do that helps you feel better or rationalize your thoughts with health anxiety?

Fishmanpa
19-12-18, 00:33
There are a lot of great resources here. The ARTICLES (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles) section is a great place to start. There's a lot of great information, links etc.

Also, utilize the "SEARCH" feature. If your issue is about an illness, a feeling etc. A simple search can yield literally pages and pages of similar posts and threads along with the advice given to the member that posted it.

Just a reminder to take advantage of these resources and perhaps save yourself a lot of angst waiting for replies on a thread.

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Positive thoughts

bunny11
19-12-18, 00:34
For me, it just took time. I have suffered from HA my entire life. In general, I usually know in the back of my head that everything is probably okay, but I still get nights where if something triggers my HA I am shaking and having panic attacks. I haven't had HA for most of this year, but I was re-triggered when we found a bump on my BF's arm 2 weeks ago. The slightest thing can send someone with HA into a downward spiral. If you have HA, you will most likely always have it so some extent.

Try keeping a list of things/diseases you believe you may have. As time goes on and you are assured that you do not have these, you may feel slightly better. Personally, I have been fully convinced I have had: a brain tumor, seizures, heart attack, clogged arteries, lymphoma, skin cancer, leukemia, breast cancer, ovarian cancer, colon cancer, and bone cancer. I am 22. I have none of these things. When I get a new fear, I remind myself of all of the different times I thought I've had each of those things I listed. Suddenly I am (slightly) less convinced.

Also, talk to your family. Holding it in is awful and will damage your mental health. When I am worried the first thing I do is talk to someone out loud about it. No texting. Call someone or see someone and talk.

The fear will always be there. My brother was diagnosed with cancer at age 20 and was given a small chance to live and guess what...he just turned 24 and is currently a working, fully functioning citizen in REMISSION. Even though I am guilty of it as well, we can not let the fear take over.

There will be days when the fear leaves your mind. But you never know when something will trigger you so have a good plan for when this happens. This thread is a helpful place to be. I wish you well and remember that it'll be okay.

jray23
19-12-18, 05:44
I know preaching self-care habits sounds so cliche and almost too good to be true but in many cases it really is true:

Daily exercise. Sleep right. Eat well/balanced. Maybe throw in some meditation and hobbies.

And then supplement it with things like the CBT4panic links and/or some kind of actual CBT or other therapy.

And last but most certainly not least...No Googling health/diseases!

Give that all a shot, I suspect you'll feel at least somewhat better if not all the way.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk