PDA

View Full Version : night phobia

dillons
12-01-05, 21:55
Hi
My story is a long one going back about 8yrs. It started whilst driving to work, I would start to panic for no reason. I would panic if caught in traffic and would sing to myself to drown out the thoughts of dread. I would however be fine if not alone. I needed an escape route and knew I could not get out and abandon the car. I lived in Milton Keynes at the time and it was not as urban as the inner city.

This progressed into nightime fear. My eldest daughter had left home, my husband was away alot and I started to dread going to bed. I would lay awake and the feelings of panic would wash over me. Although I had a 13yr old son I never looked on him as making the house 'safe' for me. I became completely irrational and a nervouse wreck. I prayed for the morning because I knew I would return to my normal self. I would get up and do the ironing.....anything to distract my self. I then started to panic about the next time I would panic and ended up in a perpetual cycle of utter anxiety. I ended up going to my GP as I thought I was going mad. My husband did not understand and looking back I think he just didn't know how to help me. I was put on anti-depressants which gave me something to hold onto but I was then terrified of becoming reliant on them.

I made my husband sell our home and move back to London where my family were. He gave up a very good job in IT and has not been able to get a decent job since this in 2001. I know deep down he blames me for this.

To cut this long story short I overcome this by sheer gut determination. I refuse to let it control me. Although I can get to sleep now, if I am alone and wake before daylight I still sometimes get edgy. I will not go back to that place in time. it nearly cost me my sanity.

If anyone else has suffered in this way get in touch.

Karen
12-01-05, 22:48
Hi Dillons

Welcome to the site. It sounds like you have done really well in getting over the fears and panic to get to the stage you are at now.

Well done for the hard work you've put into your recovery.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Sarah-Jane
13-01-05, 09:05
I totally understand what you have been going through but i think because i have had the majority of my panic attacks at night or just when its dark i think my case is more of a fear of having the panic attacks full stop. NIght time is a deary time for me and although should be a time to relax for me it sometimes makes me feel claustrophobic especially when i have trouble relaxing when i go to bed my mind goes ten to the dozen and getting to sleep can be a real struggle. Perhaps in your case when you need to go to bed and get edgy its a subconcious thing of being in the house alone and the safety aspect??? If my andy stays out of a night i feel edgy too and never sleep properly if hes not home like is the house ok are the kids ok am i gonna have a panic attack if i do and die or soemthing the kids are all alone, think this stems back to the first time i had a panic attack it was at night an andy was out on a lads night out in peterborough and stayed at his mates house. Hope you are ok

Love Sarah-Jane xxxx

jill
13-01-05, 18:23
Hi Dillons,

Welcome to the site.

We all know just how bad Mr Panic can make us feel.
( fear, sick, going mad and a hell of alot of other symptoms)
In the past I had day time Panic and nightime Panic,
I say in the past because that is where they are and its all
down to the information on this site and the special people here.
Most days I'm 100% better:D
I know what you mean about the nights, some times I wake and
feel abit edgy.
You have done sooooo well in learning how to make yourself
feel better and your determination WILL keep you feeling better.
Keep up the good work and keep those positive thoughts going.

TAKE CARE

JILLXXX

You can conquar almost any fear if you will only make
up your mind to do so.
For remember, fear dosen't exist anywhere except
in your mind.

nomorepanic
13-01-05, 18:36
Hi Dillons

Welcome aboard the forum.

You have done really well to get to where you are so well done to you.

My first panic attack happened in the car so I can relate to how you feel.

I hope you stick around to help others on the site.

Nicola

dillons
14-01-05, 22:30
Thanks everyone for your messages of congratulation. I will feel comforted to know that I am not the only person who has suffered from this unvisable condition.

I want to make it clear that I do still have to fight these feelings and I never take anything for granted. I have to be strong and not be overpowered again. Its a conscious effort.

If I can ever be of assistance to anyone I'm here.

Take care