PDA

View Full Version : Doing well, but funerals, death of cat, etc... upping anxiety

ErinKC
23-12-18, 22:37
Hi all. It's been a few months. I've been seeing a therapist regularly - first weekly, then every other week, and it's helped me tremendously. But, the last few days have been hard. Last week I attended a funeral for a friend's son (he had a genetic condition from birth so his short life was expected, but the funeral was horrifically sad), then on Friday night we had to put my cat of 12 years to sleep because of intestinal tumors, and finally it's been a year since my father in law died of cancer so this time of year is bringing back all the memories of how terrible last year was.

I have a small umbilical hernia. I saw a surgeon about it in the summer who said it was safe to watch and wait and do a follow up in February. But, now because of a bad cold/cough it's been bothering me more this week and I'm beginning to obsess about it - touching it, pushing it back in, trying to figure out if it's gotten worse, and worrying it will get strangulated over Christmas week when I'm in NJ and away from the surgeon I trust.

I had a bad experience with a watch and wait approach to a fibroid years ago, so having a similar situation, where I'm basically in charge of deciding when to electively have this hernia repaired is really messing with my mind. Most of the time I can forget about it, but it's been on mind my a lot lately with all the other stress going on.

I also can't see my therapist again until January 3 because of the holiday.

I just needed to vent and ask for some kind words/encouragement/etc... to get through the next two weeks! I also may call the surgeon tomorrow to see if I can bump up the follow up appointment and talk in more detail about what the repair will entail. I know getting it fixed is the best long term solution, I just get so scared about surgery.

Thanks for listening!

jojo2316
23-12-18, 22:42
So sorry about your cat and your father in law, no wonder you are finding it hard to cope just now. Probably it would be best to not poke your hernia though....
Hope you have a happy Christmas!

KK77
23-12-18, 23:01
I think you should have that chat with your surgeon to put your mind at rest and prepare yourself for whatever the next step will be. Tell yourself there is nothing more you can do until then and try to let go for a short while during the hols. A short period of distraction will do you, and those around you, no harm ;)