PDA

View Full Version : Really? Avocados!

cofo
26-12-18, 15:35
So. Now the news warns that avocados carry listeria.this is not good for me. I am having a hard time the past few years with food borne illnesses.I'm afraid of eating so many things. And although I'm a petite woman naturally, I am too skinny right now and need to gain weight. Avocado toast is my go to for breakfast. Now I'm hearing about this and it's going to ruin eating avocados for me. Even if I wash it, it will still worry me. And then it's going to become an ocd thing....did I wash it good enough. Did the restaurant wash theirs?.etc... And it will spiral and become another thing that I have to do just right. And there are many. I need to know how to not do this. I'm so mad. Please give me your suggestions on how to handle this so it doesn't become another fear.

Carys
26-12-18, 15:51
Ok, well I had to look this up, as I'd not 'heard this news'. Its not the avocado itself, its possible bacteria carried on the skin and the same advice has been offered which is already offered for all food products...

What you can do to avoid listeria

To reduce the risk of listeria when preparing food at home, it’s important to:

keep raw and ready-to-eat foods separate to avoid cross-contamination (https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/avoiding-cross-contamination)
wash fruit and vegetables thoroughly
keep chilled (https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/chilling) ready-to-eat foods cold – make sure your fridge is working properly and is set to 5⁰C or below
always use foods by their use-by date
follow the storage instructions on the label and use opened foods within two days unless instructions on the packaging say otherwise
ready-to-eat food must be eaten within four hours of being taken out of the fridge
cook or reheat (https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/cooking-your-food) foods until they are piping hot right through
ensure that you follow manufacturer’s instructions in the preparation of all foods

Essentially, in the case of the avocado - wash the skin before preparing. I have to say this is already something I do for fruit and veg, everything from citrus to potatoes. We eat loads of avocados in our house, in smoothies, sandwiches, salsas and all sorts, so after a good wash they are fine to use.

---------- Post added at 15:51 ---------- Previous post was at 15:48 ----------

There is no way round this really, wash it (personally I know this might not be what everyone does) but you could wash using warm water and washing up liquid. I do this for things like citrus and rinse well afterwards. I do this mostly to remove wax off fruit, but the same applies to bacteria. If you have a fruit or veg with a skin that isn't smooth then use a little fruit scrubbing brush. Then....you just have to be done with it.....and eat it :D

Fishmanpa
26-12-18, 16:07
It's common sense to wash fruits, veggies etc. and besides, I don't know anyone that eats the skin of an avocado ;)

Positive thoughts

Carys
26-12-18, 16:10
I think what the articles/warnings are saying is that the listeria MAY BE carried on the skin and people don't wash them before preparing them. Due to this - 'potentially' listeria can be transferred to the inside of the avocado whilst you are preparing.

'Avoiding' is not the way to go on this, as you have already found out that you end up leaving lots of things you enjoy and reducing the foods you can eat, from fear. You need to expose yourself, not avoid. Take the advised safety measures, then carry on enjoying avocados.

AMomentofClarity
26-12-18, 16:25
The premise makes sense. But TBH, in my 32 years I’ve never once washed the skin of an avocado (including this morning) and I’ve had listeria exactly 0 times.

Carys
26-12-18, 16:46
Yup LOL Neither have I ever had it rom the copious amounts of soft cheese I eat.

cofo
26-12-18, 18:47
Thanks. I eat avocados at least three times a week. And quacamole every time I go to eat tacos which is at least once a week. I have never washed an avocado or worried about the restaurant doing it. But now, I will! . Just like how I used to love hotels(bed bugs now),the beach(vibrio), etc. I do those things still but they are anxiety provoking prior to doing them and it makes them so much less enjoyable. That's how I'm now gonna feel about avocados and man that makes me sad. Even if I wash them now, I'll wonder if I cleaned it enough.

I am pretty sure that I have to continue to eat them or i will make this a thing. But I'm scared! We are going to eat tacos tonight.....

AMomentofClarity
26-12-18, 18:52
Thanks. I eat avocados at least three times a week. And quacamole every time I go to eat tacos which is at least once a week. I have never washed an avocado or worried about the restaurant doing it. But now, I will! . Just like how I used to love hotels(bed bugs now),the beach(vibrio), etc. I do those things still but they are anxiety provoking prior to doing them and it makes them so much less enjoyable. That's how I'm now gonna feel about avocados and man that makes me sad. Even if I wash them now, I'll wonder if I cleaned it enough.

I am pretty sure that I have to continue to eat them or i will make this a thing. But I'm scared! We are going to eat tacos tonight.....

The thing is, you’re in control of all of that. You can make the choice to work on your anxiety, and enjoy things without worrying. Or you can continue to let your irrational fears dictate your enjoyment. Your call.

cofo
27-12-18, 01:25
I went for tacos and had quacamole!! I will not fear avocados!!

Fishmanpa
27-12-18, 01:47

:yesyes: They're too good to fear! :D

Positive thoughts

Carys
28-12-18, 13:52

Good for you !!!! YOu should be proud of yourself.

cofo
28-12-18, 14:44
well, i went to the grocery and could not make myself buy an avocado.
i didn't want to even touch them.
ugh. next time. next time i go i will get one.

TheGroundhog
28-12-18, 18:53
I can guarantee (I have been in therapy a loooooong time) that if I told my therapist I had the same fear she would absolutely forbid me from washing them and make me lick them before cutting :roflmao:

Exposure not avoidance is the way to go.

She once made me eat prawns that had been dropped on the floor of a busy shopping centre food hall (true story).

cofo
07-01-19, 12:31
well, i'm disappointed in myself but i just can't make myself buy any avocdoes. i have been able to eat quacamole at restaurants though, so there's that.
i'm just really afraid to buy one, touch it, wash it, have it in my house, and think about it...
i know what i should do, but i just can't!
is anyone else in the world avoiding avocadoes?

BlueIris
07-01-19, 12:41
I'm not. They're too delicious.

AMomentofClarity
07-01-19, 17:39
is anyone else in the world avoiding avocadoes?

Nope. I think most people realize the odds of actually contracting listeria are extremely small. Not to mention there’s a gazillion different ways to contract it...other fruits/vegetables, sausage, hot dogs, deli meat, even dairy. So avoiding avocados is literally pointless.

Carys
07-01-19, 19:07
Nope, not avoiding here. I had some in a burger establishment a few days ago, and made a salad with some a few days before that. I did what I've never done before and washed them before preparing, (only because I read the recent advice when researching for your thread) and........I'm fine.....have no intention at all of avoiding ever.

AMomentofClarity
07-01-19, 19:19
I did what I've never done before and washed them

Hahaha same here...washed one last week when it had never once crossed my mind before. I’m happy to report being alive and well:)

Carys
07-01-19, 19:57
I’m happy to report being alive and well:smile:

Good news !!!!!! :roflmao:

MyNameIsTerry
07-01-19, 21:46
I can guarantee (I have been in therapy a loooooong time) that if I told my therapist I had the same fear she would absolutely forbid me from washing them and make me lick them before cutting :roflmao:

Exposure not avoidance is the way to go.

She once made me eat prawns that had been dropped on the floor of a busy shopping centre food hall (true story).

Could I get away with a fear of Nigella Lawson if I saw your therapist? :whistles::winks::noangel:

Carys
07-01-19, 21:54
Could I get away with a fear of Nigella Lawson if I saw your therapist?

She'd see through your tawdry little creation I think Terry! :winks:

MyNameIsTerry
07-01-19, 23:33
She'd see through your tawdry little creation I think Terry! :winks:

Damn! Next you will be telling me exposure therapy doesn't involve a Columbo style dirty mack http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/sex/t1542.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-sex.php?page=2):D