PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety: Brain Damage

Lizzy84
28-12-18, 03:13
I’ve had anxiety pretty much my entire life. My anxiety began primarily focusing on health about 10 years ago. My anxious thoughts sort of popped around my body to focus on different organs - lung cancer, throat cancer, etc.

About three years ago, my health anxiety thoughts found a very scary place that I haven’t been able to shake: brain damage. I always worry that I’ve done something to damage my brain. It could be from drinking too much, or being too close to pesticides being sprayed. Currently, I’ve been obsessing about taking one dose of Tylenol cold max after drinking 4-5 drinks over thanksgiving. The Tylenol had 20mg of cough suppressant in it, and I’m convinced (yet again) that I’ve done permanent damaged my brain by combining this medicine with alcohol. The obsessive thoughts are constant, stong, and overwhelming. My neurofeedback therapist says I may have OCD, so I’m waiting to see a certified OCD therapist.

So my question is, does anyone else here have intrusive thoughts about brain damage? And if yes, have you found any methods that work for you and helped rid these thoughts? Any reassurance is also appreciated. Many thanks!

Scared10
28-12-18, 09:22
I dont have anxiety about brain damage, or know much about it, but i highly doubt that you caused brain damage after one time taking tylenol after drinks. :flowers:

Fishmanpa
28-12-18, 10:20
You referred to these thoughts as HA and intrusive and you're on an anxiety website so on some level you know your thoughts are irrational and your brain is physically fine so reassuring yourself would be healthier than seeking it :winks:

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll see a few similar threads. Use the search feature and it will yield literally hundreds of similar threads and the replies/advice of others. Check out the articles here (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles) as they contain some great information and self help advice.

Positive thoughts

Lizzy84
31-12-18, 19:59
Thank you both for responding.

I'm mostly scared about the dextromethorphan hbr ingredient in the Tylenol. In high doses, it can have similar effects as ketamine or PCP. I only took one dose (20 mg), but I'm petite (110 lbs) and drank 4-5 drinks over a few hours, which can increase the medicine's side effects. I'm so mad at my carelessness and think I have done permanent damage to my brain. I've made an appointment with a primary care doctor later this week to get evaluated.

I've had trouble focusing and concentrating and a couple of coworkers have said I seem off. Could that be a symptom of brain damage??? Is this "just" my anxiety or brain damage??? I'm so scared.

Fishmanpa
31-12-18, 20:03
My wife has brain damage from encephalitis two years ago. It affected her cognitive abilities. The only brain damage I see here is thinking you have it! :lac:

Positive thoughts

ankietyjoe
31-12-18, 20:06
Thank you both for responding.

I'm mostly scared about the dextromethorphan hbr ingredient in the Tylenol. In high doses, it can have similar effects as ketamine or PCP. I only took one dose (20 mg), but I'm petite (110 lbs) and drank 4-5 drinks over a few hours, which can increase the medicine's side effects. I'm so mad at my carelessness and think I have done permanent damage to my brain. I've made an appointment with a primary care doctor later this week to get evaluated.

I've had trouble focusing and concentrating and a couple of coworkers have said I seem off. Could that be a symptom of brain damage??? Is this "just" my anxiety or brain damage??? I'm so scared.

You are suffering from too much information syndrome.

A high dose would be a few bottles, not a single dose after a few spaced out alcoholic drinks.

You have less than nothing to worry about.

Lizzy84
03-01-19, 02:17
Thank you so much for your replies. It really means a lot.

Fishmanpa - I’m very sorry to read about your wife’s illness, and I’m sending positivity your way.

Many thanks again.

SnowyGreen
03-01-19, 02:52
'

Lizzy84
03-01-19, 17:47
Thank you SnowyGreen for the reassurance. I went to a family doctor today, and she said that taking 1 dose of the cold medicine with a cough suppressant would not have caused any brain damage. I didn't get tested for acquired brain injury, though, but I am hopeful that my anxiety about this will go away soon. For now I'll keep telling myself that I am ok ... I got evaluated by a medical doctor and I am ok. I wish this health anxiety wasn't so sticky!!!

SnowyGreen
04-01-19, 02:25
'

Lizzy84
04-01-19, 17:01
Wise words, SnowyGreen. Thank you. :)