PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Acid reflux? woke up choking

Havefaithx
28-12-18, 11:27
Morning guys,

I have awful acid reflux. I have had a camera down my throat and have been told I have gastritis. I’ve obviously over indulged at Xmas and it’s terrible mix that with running out of my tablets.

Anyway I woke up last night choking so bad I’m assuming that the acid has gone up my throat and back down the wrong way hence the massive coughing fit. I’ve had it before where I feel like I can’t breathe but not woke up have a coughing fit feeling like something has gone down the wrong hole.

Does anyone else suffer with this and if you have what helps to stop it??

Xx

poppy77
28-12-18, 12:13
Elevate your bed head by about 6 - 8 inches. Put wood or concrete block under your bed posts to do this. You can buy wedge pillows as well, although I found it difficult not to slip down them! Don't eat 4 hours before bed and maybe take a Gaviscon advance before bed. The fact you've run out of your anti acid medicine *I assume you are on a ppi like Esomeprazole, Lanzaprazole?), essentially means you have gone cold turkey and have a bit of acid rebound, like a double whammy. It should settle down when you get back on your medication and try the above measures. I've found losing a bit of weight has improved my symptoms and Fishmanpa has good advice regarding the Fodmap diet.

Havefaithx
28-12-18, 12:36
Thanks hun. I’ll try elevating my bed, I did do it when I was pregnant actually but forgot all about that trick. Hubby went out this morning and got me some gaviscon double action that I’ve just been swigging on plus I’ve called my drs and they’ve been able to right a prescription up of my Omeprazole that I can collect after 1pm today. It was bloody awful I’ve never had the choking before and even today I can’t stop coughing xx

Carnation
28-12-18, 12:49
I Do!!!! Good advice from poppy and I keep my pillows propped high all the time now which is good for sinus issues which I have as well.
I avoid chocolate before going to bed. The worst culprit for me is wine. But I have recently discovered Gala apples settle the stomach. My mum used to have one after her evening meal and she suffered with an ulcer.
Any foods that are fatty will aggravate it and also pies with me.

Magic
28-12-18, 14:41
Has anyone tried the yakult drinks? I take Esomeprazole on prescription. I used to buy zantac. they helped. I don't have to pay for my prescriptions now.:yahoo:

Acid reflux is not nice..

bin tenn
28-12-18, 15:21
Lifestyle changes (e.g. diet and exercise, cut drinking, cut smoking, etc) and / or medication such as a PPI. I woke up a couple years ago with acid pooled in my throat. Scared the hell out of me at 1am, and send me into a violent coughing fit, which subsequently triggered a heart rhythm abnormality (afib). I strongly recommend talking to your doc if it's this bad especially if you try to make some positive changes and it doesn't seem to help. You're not likely to experience the heart rhythm disturbance, IMO, but reflux that bad can cause complications long term. I personally started eating better and taking a prescription PPI and I'm fine.

Havefaithx
28-12-18, 15:47
Hi yeah I take a ppi, Omeprazole. I stupidly ran out that’s why it’s bad but never had that coughing fit before. I’ve had an emergency prescription done for me and have been swigging gaviscon all day so hoping this helps

bin tenn
28-12-18, 17:42
Okay, I hope you feel well soon. If the Omeprazole gets the job done, that's great. However, if you feel like it's not effective enough, feel free to bring it up to your doc next time you see them.

Carnation
28-12-18, 18:06
I might give the yakult drinks a try Magic. :)
When my reflux was bad, yogurt definitely helped.

WiredIncorrectly
28-12-18, 19:16
I have yes. It leaves me with a coughing fit because of the acid that has managed to get into my airway. Very annoying. It stopped when I quit drinking alcohol though.

Phill2
29-12-18, 05:10
Morning guys,

I have awful acid reflux. I have had a camera down my throat and have been told I have gastritis. I’ve obviously over indulged at Xmas and it’s terrible mix that with running out of my tablets.

Anyway I woke up last night choking so bad I’m assuming that the acid has gone up my throat and back down the wrong way hence the massive coughing fit. I’ve had it before where I feel like I can’t breathe but not woke up have a coughing fit feeling like something has gone down the wrong hole.

Does anyone else suffer with this and if you have what helps to stop it??

Xx

I used to have it a lot until I got meds for it.
I found you have to concentrate on breathing through your nose rather than gasping through your mouth when it happens.
Keep water beside the bed as well.

Havefaithx
29-12-18, 21:19
Thanks hun! It’s nice to know I’m not alone. I did think it was acid reflux as I have been woken in the night before where I can’t breathe just not had the coughing fit before, they are both scary symptoms of acid reflux. I was okay last night however tbh I never really ate a lot throughout the day bar porridge and water to give my stomach a rest. Today I’ve only eaten my tea but thys only because I’ve been bloated and felt full all day because of my acid reflux, I hate it! Hopefully my tablets will start to kick in again soon so I can have a glass of wine on new yrs eve!!

GiantMogwai
29-12-18, 23:33
Have a small evening meal. Avoid too much fat and processed tomato sauce. Leave 3 hours between food and bed. Should help the choking. Also, spread food out throughout day.