PDA

View Full Version : Pitting edema soles of feet

MrLurcher
02-01-19, 16:40
Oh dear, here I go again. For some time now Ive noticed sock marks on ankles after the end of the day, so i started to prod around my feet, and on sections of the soles I leave a slight indent after pressing, it takes a good feq seconds for it to return. Im bloody petrified again now. I just had blood tests, liver, kidneys, so does this mean a heart issue now??

utrocket09
02-01-19, 19:21
Oh dear, here I go again. For some time now Ive noticed sock marks on ankles after the end of the day, so i started to prod around my feet, and on sections of the soles I leave a slight indent after pressing, it takes a good feq seconds for it to return. Im bloody petrified again now. I just had blood tests, liver, kidneys, so does this mean a heart issue now??

No. Just No. Of course if you walk or use your feet you are going to have what look like indents. True pitting edema does not work like that.

MrLurcher
02-01-19, 19:26
No, i press down with my finger onto the soles of my feet and it leaves an indent, which takes a while to return. Its quite obvious when i scrunch my toes making my skin compressed. Could this just be loose skin?

pulisa
02-01-19, 19:28
What do you think?

MrLurcher
02-01-19, 19:31
What do you think?

99% of me thinks this is pitting edema because i tested my skin as appropriate, and its leaving a dnnt. The 1% of me thinks this cant possibly mean another serious illness. Im on the verge of ringing nhs 111 again.....

pulisa
02-01-19, 19:39
Have you spent any time with your family today?

MrLurcher
02-01-19, 19:41
Have you spent any time with your family today?

A few hours. Went to the final night
of the local winter wonderland and didnt enjoy anything because of all this.

pulisa
02-01-19, 19:48
I think you are looking for things to worry about. I presume you have googled the condition from a US website due to the US spelling?

utrocket09
02-01-19, 19:48
No, i press down with my finger onto the soles of my feet and it leaves an indent, which takes a while to return. Its quite obvious when i scrunch my toes making my skin compressed. Could this just be loose skin?

Ya that is not pitting edema. That is just loose skin. If it was pitting edema it would look like a pit and not go back so readily

MrLurcher
02-01-19, 19:56
Yeah I suppose it was an US site.

pulisa
02-01-19, 19:58
Why do you need to do this to yourself?

BlueIris
02-01-19, 20:14
Okay, going to be brutal here: if your life really was limited, how would you want to spend it? Your HA is draining your life away more certainly than any disease.

MrLurcher
03-01-19, 11:17
Okay, going to be brutal here: if your life really was limited, how would you want to spend it? Your HA is draining your life away more certainly than any disease.

I'd probably want to enjoy my time.

I know it's draining my life away, and it sucks. One day I feel ok, and when a new symptom pops up I'm back in a panic. Fed up of it now.

In a discussion with my therapist we discussed the idea that the reason behind all of this is a fear of dying. I think it's partly correct. I'm always worrying about leaving my children.

BlueIris
03-01-19, 11:22
I get you, and I know it's tough - I've lost days this week to my own HA. You won't get this time with your kids back, though, which is why it's so important to learn to live with the uncertainty.

MrLurcher
03-01-19, 11:27
I get you, and I know it's tough - I've lost days this week to my own HA. You won't get this time with your kids back, though, which is why it's so important to learn to live with the uncertainty.

It's the uncertainty that kills me. I cannot sit well with any worry, even as far as things wrong with the house/car and money etc. HA is at the top of the list, but other life worries aren't far behind.

BlueIris
03-01-19, 11:39
Again, I know it's tough - I struggle to book tickets for events a month in advance in case something dreadful happens in the meantime - but life's always going to throw us curveballs and all we can do is have faith in our ability to handle it.

jojo2316
03-01-19, 12:54
I think you are looking for things to worry about. I presume you have googled the condition from a US website due to the US spelling?

BUSTED :bighug1:

---------- Post added at 12:54 ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 ----------

Have you started your meds yet Mr Lurcher?

pulisa
03-01-19, 13:52
It's the uncertainty that kills me. I cannot sit well with any worry, even as far as things wrong with the house/car and money etc. HA is at the top of the list, but other life worries aren't far behind.

It's very hard to sit on anxiety and to "watch and wait". You may want to discuss this with your therapist and get him/her to suggest some techniques which can help tone down your initial reaction of "I need to get this sorted now".

Certainly delaying making emergency GP appointments is something which could be worked on successfully.

MrLurcher
03-01-19, 14:03
BUSTED :bighug1:

---------- Post added at 12:54 ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 ----------

Have you started your meds yet Mr Lurcher?

Afraid not.

I knew about pitting edema / oedema before, this isn't the first time I've thought about sock marks on my ankles being a problem. I've worn thinner socks today, and I still have marks around my legs. Whenever you google this, it says about edema/oedema and you should visit a doctor asap as it could be heart failure/disease etc.

Am I being very unreasonable with this?

pulisa
03-01-19, 14:12
Afraid not.

I knew about pitting edema / oedema before, this isn't the first time I've thought about sock marks on my ankles being a problem. I've worn thinner socks today, and I still have marks around my legs. Whenever you google this, it says about edema/oedema and you should visit a doctor asap as it could be heart failure/disease etc.

Am I being very unreasonable with this?

Again, what do you think?

MrLurcher
03-01-19, 14:16
Again, what do you think?

I don't think I'm being unreasonable due to the general consensus on the web that it's an indication of something serious.

pulisa
03-01-19, 14:19
I don't think I'm being unreasonable due to the general consensus on the web that it's an indication of something serious.

The main reason why you should never diagnose yourself courtesy of the web. What does "the general consensus" actually mean? How many health sites have you visited?

MrLurcher
03-01-19, 14:23
The main reason why you should never diagnose yourself courtesy of the web. What does "the general consensus" actually mean? How many health sites have you visited?

Quite a few, a google search of 'sock marks around legs' brings up multiple results to say it's oedema. I tried searching for the opposite, where it explains it's normal and I can't find hardly any results at all.

Midnight-mouse
03-01-19, 15:02
For what it’s worth it’s something I’ve had my whole life, socks leaving marks that is. As does my other half. It’s not automatically something that leans itself to something serious.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueIris
03-01-19, 15:27
I always thought everyone got them.

utrocket09
03-01-19, 15:31
I always thought everyone got them.

Everyone does get them. There is a difference between sock mark and pitting edema

jojo2316
03-01-19, 15:44
Quite a few, a google search of 'sock marks around legs' brings up multiple results to say it's oedema. I tried searching for the opposite, where it explains it's normal and I can't find hardly any results at all.

Doesn’t EVERYONE get sick marks round their legs? I’ve certainly seen it on myself...

BlueIris
03-01-19, 15:50
I have chubby legs, and sometimes mine take hours to disappear.

jojo2316
03-01-19, 15:57
I have chubby legs, and sometimes mine take hours to disappear.

Mine too! :yesyes:

pulisa
03-01-19, 17:00
I don't think Mr Lurcher wants to "normalise" what he thinks he is seeing though.

jojo2316
03-01-19, 17:21
I don't think Mr Lurcher wants to "normalise" what he thinks he is seeing though.

But it is normal though

Shadowhawk
03-01-19, 17:24
i even made a thread about that exact thing recently. It blew me away how so many places were instantly on the edema for something so common. Likewise, i could only find a few places that talked about it being normal.

For the OP - i know you are worried, but edema is observed on the top of the foot and ankles, and i could find no references to it happening on the bottom of the foot. While i will say its possible to have a foot THAT swollen that the bottom of your foot dimples, you would notice from the pain and massive swelling on the REST of your foot.

I know its not easy, but really... don't overthink this OP. Really.

pulisa
03-01-19, 17:29
But it is normal though

Managing HA is all about normalising symptoms though.

MrLurcher
22-06-19, 07:55
Ok im back with this, and I actually do have pitting oedema on my shins. I noticed weeks ago after leaning my heel against my lower shin ( i stand funny sometimes) that it leaves a dent which lasts at least an hour. So i tested it ladt night by pressing in with a finger, and yes it leaves a dent for a few mins.......****. Is this heart failure? Liver disease? I wish I remembered to show this to the doc on monday.

The only hope I have is that it coukd be shin splints, but i dont have pain. They are occuring in the same are as shown in this article. https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a20799433/two-simple-tests-to-predict-shin-splints/

utrocket09
22-06-19, 09:51
Ok im back with this, and I actually do have pitting oedema on my shins. I noticed weeks ago after leaning my heel against my lower shin ( i stand funny sometimes) that it leaves a dent which lasts at least an hour. So i tested it ladt night by pressing in with a finger, and yes it leaves a dent for a few mins.......****. Is this heart failure? Liver disease? I wish I remembered to show this to the doc on monday.

The only hope I have is that it coukd be shin splints, but i dont have pain. They are occuring in the same are as shown in this article. https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a20799433/two-simple-tests-to-predict-shin-splints/

If you actually had pitting edema, which you probably don’t, you would have some sort of swelling.

In addition, if it was something else, you would have other symptoms.

I have had actual pitting

MrLurcher
22-06-19, 11:31
Why is there a dent left after I press on my shin then? Great, more bloods and tests coming up. I only had thyroid, liver, kidneys checked in january.

BlueIris
22-06-19, 11:35
Because you're a raging hypochondriac, yes. Sometimes bodies just do stuff.

Scass
22-06-19, 11:49
Why is there a dent left after I press on my shin then? Great, more bloods and tests coming up. I only had thyroid, liver, kidneys checked in january.

Stop looking for things! Try and just enjoy your day and it’s simple things. Go and do something, anything.
Ps.My Dad had it and it was ridiculously obvious.

MrLurcher
22-06-19, 13:12
Im not going out looking for things, I noticed it by accident a while ago. This actually is pitting oedema, its not my mind imagining it. I showed it to my partner and she saw that a dent was left after pressing in. This is pretty bad isnt it??

pulisa
22-06-19, 13:24
Why not just say "I really can't stop myself fixating on a whole series of health"issues". Once I've been shown the door by my GP and told to stop being obsessive about benign symptoms I just start on another area. Why do I need to have a constant health worry and what can I do about it?"

Rather than posting with a degree of relish about what your latest illness is?

BlueIris
22-06-19, 13:25
Everything is always pretty bad with you, though, until it turns out to be nothing.

roseanxiety
22-06-19, 13:29
No, it’s not! If you stand up or walk long enough, you can get dependent edema in your lower extremities. Anyone can get it.

Carys
22-06-19, 13:32
Ohhh nooooo, I just tested pushing my shins, and I have pitting oedema too !!! I never knew this after having it for a life-time. :roflmao:Seriously, some swelling in legs and feet is kinda normal especially if you are overweight, not active, of a certain age....etcetc

pulisa
22-06-19, 13:38
Ohhh nooooo, I just tested pushing my shins, and I have pitting oedema too !!! I never knew this after having it for a life-time. :roflmao:Seriously, some swelling in legs and feet is kinda normal especially if you are overweight, not active, of a certain age....etcetc

And don't say that you're skinny, very active and young (I know you are young!!:D)

Carys
22-06-19, 13:41
50, pretty active and correct BMI (not skinny by any stretch). However, if the weather warms up my hands get swollen too. :huh:

MrLurcher
22-06-19, 13:42
Im not overweight, and walk around 20 miles a week, plus I play football. Im not sure how else to explain it apart from liver, heart or thyroid, unless I have chronic painless shin splints.

BlueIris
22-06-19, 13:46
OR, you're a raging hypochondriac.

Carys
22-06-19, 13:47
Or, unless , its just a normal part of YOU.

MrLurcher
22-06-19, 13:54
I dunno, ive been thinking for a while my socks feel tighter, which would mean swelling.

either way, its best a doc has a look isnt it?.

Yes I am a raging hypochondriac but these are real physical symptoms.

utrocket09
22-06-19, 14:02
Im not overweight, and walk around 20 miles a week, plus I play football. Im not sure how else to explain it apart from liver, heart or thyroid, unless I have chronic painless shin splints.

Or you are a hypocondriac....seriously.....as someone who gets the sock lines and swelling, mine was explained by vein issues in my legs.

You really need some help for the anxiety and not this supposed edema.

BlueIris
22-06-19, 14:03
You're walking around and playing football, you're fine.

Other than the raging health anxiety, obviously.

pulisa
22-06-19, 14:03
50, pretty active and correct BMI (not skinny by any stretch). However, if the weather warms up my hands get swollen too. :huh:

I meant Mr L-not you- but I see he's already provided the predictable response!

Fishmanpa
22-06-19, 14:25
The dragon is strong in this one Obi Wan!

Positive thoughts

Carys
22-06-19, 14:53
I meant Mr L-not you

:roflmao: Ha ha ! OK, I wondered why you were calling me 'young' and then remembered you were older LOLOLOL

pulisa
22-06-19, 17:05
:roflmao: Ha ha ! OK, I wondered why you were calling me 'young' and then remembered you were older LOLOLOL

Have some respect for your elders, young lady!:D

MrLurcher
23-06-19, 21:03
I know im a laughing stock to all of you, but everything I read online about pitting oedema in legs relates to heart or liver. Theres NOTHING which says it could be benign. This has been going on for a few months now. Would an ECG rule out heart failure and could me liver have started failing since my last bloods in february?

Scass
23-06-19, 21:15
Well look, I just read something that said almost everyone who wears socks all day will get it. So there you go. We’re both reading things and you’re interpreting it one way and I’m not.

I appreciate that you’re in some sort of spiral, but I also think you’ve just lurched from a different topic? I think perhaps your threads should be merged.

Sorry if I’m being harsh, but at some point you need to see it too. You have anxiety, help yourself.

Fishmanpa
23-06-19, 21:20
I also think you’ve just lurched from a different topic?

MrLurcher/Mr Lurch... I get it intentional or not ;)

https://media.giphy.com/media/RKoA5toayWzAI/giphy.gif

Positive thoughts

BlueIris
23-06-19, 21:26
That gif is just perfect, FMP!

jojo2316
23-06-19, 21:30
Yes I am a raging hypochondriac but these are real physical symptoms.

that is an actual quote from one of my HA self help books!!
im active too, and not overweight and I’ve just got in the bath and I’m looking RIGHT AT sock marks on my ankles.
Do you think there might be something up with my heart?

MrLurcher
23-06-19, 21:32
Pitting oedema is extremely abnormal though....

MrLurcher
23-06-19, 21:34
This isnt sock marks, these are actual dents left on my shins after pressing in

BlueIris
23-06-19, 21:34
As are your current patterns of thought.

Question is, do you want to recover from the anxiety?

jojo2316
23-06-19, 21:50
So can your doctor/partner/mother see your pitting edema?

MrLurcher
23-06-19, 22:09
Yes, they have both seen it. I remember months ago calling with my mum and my leg was leaning on the chair and it left an indent. But noticed this week it happens when i press my fingers in. More worrying as this cant be just anxiety which headaches / muscle aches / bowel stuff.

Fishmanpa
23-06-19, 22:24
More worrying as this cant be just anxiety which headaches / muscle aches / bowel stuff.

Then I suggest you get a full medical workup as based on your convictions and beliefs, posting on an anxiety forum serves no purpose. Let us know what they say.

Positive thoughts

MrLurcher
23-06-19, 22:36
Thanks FMP, at least someone recognises how serious this is. I literally thought I was past all this after my headache issues, and now I have a geniune symptom of what is most likely a serious issue. **** im scared to death right now.

Fishmanpa
23-06-19, 23:21
Thanks FMP, at least someone recognises how serious this is. I literally thought I was past all this after my headache issues, and now I have a geniune symptom of what is most likely a serious issue. **** im scared to death right now.

I do recognize how serious this is. Just not from a physical standpoint.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
24-06-19, 02:14
I know im a laughing stock to all of you, but everything I read online about pitting oedema in legs relates to heart or liver. Theres NOTHING which says it could be benign. This has been going on for a few months now. Would an ECG rule out heart failure and could me liver have started failing since my last bloods in february?

No one is laughing at you, if they were they need to have a look at their own problems.

But you at nothing other than heart or liver? The NHS disagree with you:

https://www.nhsdirect.wales.nhs.uk/Encyclopaedia/o/article/oedema/

That's a list including triggering things but since you are already obviously Googling for the scary I will leave the link there so you read a credible source that does give you alternatives.

I found this an interesting section:

Treating oedemaOedema is often temporary and clears up by itself. For example, if you've been standing up for too long on a hot day, your ankles may swell up until you get the chance to put your feet up and rest.If oedema doesn't go away by itself, see your GP. They'll try and find out if there's an underlying cause which needs to be treated. This could involve taking medication or following some advice, such as:

losing weight (if you're overweight)
taking regular exercise (http://www.nhsdirect.wales.nhs.uk/LifestyleWellbeing/Physicalactivity/), such as walking, swimming or cycling
raising your legs three to four times a day to improve your circulation
avoiding standing for long periods of time

If an underlying condition is causing the fluid imbalance, it should clear up after the condition has been diagnosed and treated.

So, if this can only be some scary condition then can you explain why a doctor might treat it will the above?

Both my parents have it. Now they are elderly so you will likely say that's not the same as for you but both my parents only have it due to medications they take. According to you they should have a heart or liver problem. They don't.

Aside from the NHS list you will also find dehydration as a cause. And dehydration can be a symptom found in anxiety sufferers.

As far as tests go, you won't and should not have them unless your GP decides they need them.

bin tenn
24-06-19, 05:27
No one is laughing at you, if they were they need to have a look at their own problems.

That's a list including triggering things but since you are already obviously Googling for the scary I will leave the link there so you read a credible source that does give you alternatives.

So, if this can only be some scary condition then can you explain why a doctor might treat it will the above?

Both my parents have it. Now they are elderly so you will likely say that's not the same as for you but both my parents only have it due to medications they take. According to you they should have a heart or liver problem. They don't.

Aside from the NHS list you will also find dehydration as a cause. And dehydration can be a symptom found in anxiety sufferers.

As far as tests go, you won't and should not have them unless your GP decides they need them.

Yep. My uncle told me a while back that it can be caused by being on my feet too long, especially in the heat. And because I don't exercise regularly, that makes it even more likely. Not so much pitting edema, but I feel like my feet / ankles are heavy or swollen. Marks left from my socks. I'm only 32 and don't have a heart of liver condition either.

jojo2316
24-06-19, 07:27
Yes, they have both seen it. I remember months ago calling with my mum and my leg was leaning on the chair and it left an indent. But noticed this week it happens when i press my fingers in. More worrying as this cant be just anxiety which headaches / muscle aches / bowel stuff.
And are they as worried as you are about it?

pulisa
24-06-19, 08:43
I'm certainly not laughing at your HA, Mr L, but I have to tell you to stop being ridiculous otherwise when you do have a genuine health concern your GP is not going to take you seriously and will laugh it off. This should be motivation for you to stop looking for signs of potential illness in your body-accept your good health and make the most of it. Don't pester your GP, don't use the forum to document random symptoms and for goodness sake ask yourself why you feel so unsafe?

MrLurcher
24-06-19, 09:06
And are they as worried as you are about it?

No, my mum called be a 'stupid boy', and my partner has refused to speak to me about it, infact refused to speak to me at all this weekend.

BlueIris
24-06-19, 09:11
Harsh, but I can see where they're coming from.

I know it's tough, but maybe set the physical stuff aside for a bit and start looking inward, see if you can identify where all this fear might be coming from?

MrLurcher
24-06-19, 09:54
I have thought is it a fear of dying because my thought patterns in health is very black and white - if X happens, then i'll never recover. However ive had days where ive felt fed up, depressed and dont see the point in my life, to then worry about dying if my heart starts racing etc. It just doesnt make sense. I also have a fear of abandoning my kids, through dying. Anotther issue is Im the only wage earner in the house - since my first daughter was born, and have been feeling the pressure of that the past year. If something happens to me, how will we afford to live etc.

Ive booked an appt with the GP at 11.20. Its the same doc again, and im not proud and very embarrased. Even though they have my notes on file, I was really hoping to see another doc.

Seeing as he referred me to cardio, im guessing he will want to run tests, and I'm really, really freaked out about the idea of waiting for more test results.

The pitting is worse on my left shin where I had a football injury above the ankle 6 months ago, and theres still like a lump there, so I dont know if its all connected to that. But then theres some pitting on the right as well.

BlueIris
24-06-19, 10:00
Wishing you luck today, but please, PLEASE present your anxiety as the main issue rather than your symptom of the week?

MrLurcher
24-06-19, 10:02
Wishing you luck today, but please, PLEASE present your anxiety as the main issue rather than your symptom of the week?

Yes of course, Im not ashamed and dont cover up my anxiety. He knows my history anyway. And ill tell him as well that ive been googling and worrying about X, Y and Z.

Thanks BI. If my some miracle he says its nothing to worry about then I will do my best to try and draw some sort of a line for a bit.

Terrified, absolutely terrified. This is the only symptom I've had which 100% cant be anxiety, all the bowels, headaches, tremors etc could all be amplified by anxiety but this is scary now.

MrLurcher
24-06-19, 11:39
The doc said that there was a bit of fluid retention but nothing to be of a major concern. And he went on to say that I had my liver, kidneys, thyroid and more checked 4 months ago and there wouldnt be any obvious symptoms happening so soon in relation to those in a few months.

Am I satisfied? Yes a bit. But I didnt feel he was pressing hard enough on my leg to make the deep indentations I've seen. I did pres down to show him as well.

What do you all think???

BlueIris
24-06-19, 11:49
I think it's time to give it up, Mr. L. This is more than enough evidence that your only health issue is anxiety. It's clearly destroying your relationship, and by extension, that's going to be damaging to your children.

Fishmanpa
24-06-19, 13:39
I think it's time to give it up, Mr. L.

The only way that will happen is by treating the real illness. All you have to do is read through the boards and see the many who have been in the grips of the dragon for years and years. Living life in fear of death is not living. You're worried about your children and family should something happen to you and yet for all intents and purposes, they've already lost you :(

Have you started the meds?

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
24-06-19, 13:52

Treating oedemaOedema is often temporary and clears up by itself. For example, if you've been standing up for too long on a hot day, your ankles may swell up until you get the chance to put your feet up and rest.If oedema doesn't go away by itself, see your GP. They'll try and find out if there's an underlying cause which needs to be treated. This could involve taking medication or following some advice, such as:

losing weight (if you're overweight)
taking regular exercise (http://www.nhsdirect.wales.nhs.uk/LifestyleWellbeing/Physicalactivity/), such as walking, swimming or cycling
raising your legs three to four times a day to improve your circulation
avoiding standing for long periods of time

If an underlying condition is causing the fluid imbalance, it should clear up after the condition has been diagnosed and treated.

So, how does your GP's assessment apply to the above?

MrLurcher
24-06-19, 15:08
So, how does your GP's assessment apply to the above?

Well he did ask how long do I stand up during the day, and I said sometimes my week alternates between either sitting down all day, or on my feet all day (6-8 hours at a time on some days. I also drive 45 mins each way to work.

I very rarely sit down and put my feet up, so he suggested raising my legs if I'm sitting down.

I do walk a lot so I don't feel there's an issue with excercise, and I'm not overweight.

Last night I did come across an article where a 36 year old man, diagnosed with depression, had pitting oedema. He underwent all the medical tests and all was normal. So he was treated for depression - meds and relaxation techniques and the oedema went after 4 months..........

I saw a programme recently where the woodlands are used to treat depression, so I decided to go for a walk in the local woods this afternoon. Ended up slipping half way round and jarred my shoulder (heard a squelch and a tear), so I'm sat here with an ice pack on my back................go for a nice walk in nature they said........

pulisa
24-06-19, 17:45
You have to see the funny side of this, Mr L...."Forest Bathing" with that added "ouch" factor!

More "material" for your HA though? Torn shoulder ligaments?

What about work by the way? Are they amenable to all this time off for GP appointments?

MrLurcher
24-06-19, 17:58
You have to see the funny side of this, Mr L...."Forest Bathing" with that added "ouch" factor!

More "material" for your HA though? Torn shoulder ligaments?

What about work by the way? Are they amenable to all this time off for GP appointments?

Yes I did chuckle a bit that this was meant to be self help time, and I managed to injure myself......

Nah, I did briefly worry about shoulder ligaments because I do have a lot of gigs coming up over the summer and thought it would impair on my playing but it's probably fine.

Well I work Tuesdays to Saturdays, and also finish early on a Thursday. So it doesn't impair on work too much, although I have been spoken to about my concentration levels and quietness.

pulisa
24-06-19, 18:06
Honestly, you should concentrate on your gigs. You're obviously very talented and might find a hell of a lot of "therapy" with your guitar which is free and immediately available?

Don't jeopardise work as well as well as your home life? Being the sole earner brings responsibility which we all find unnerving but once you accept an HA diagnosis you can start to work on rising above all the temptations HA offers and making serious progress in managing what can be a frustrating and debilitating condition. But it IS a condition and not a sinister illness and you should be grateful for your physical health and for the fact that you have a choice to stick with your HA or to manage it effectively.

MyNameIsTerry
25-06-19, 02:18
Yes I did chuckle a bit that this was meant to be self help time, and I managed to injure myself......

Nah, I did briefly worry about shoulder ligaments because I do have a lot of gigs coming up over the summer and thought it would impair on my playing but it's probably fine.

Well I work Tuesdays to Saturdays, and also finish early on a Thursday. So it doesn't impair on work too much, although I have been spoken to about my concentration levels and quietness.

I think that's a Sod's Law issue and good to have some humour over. Get over a rabies worry, go for a walk in the park and friendly squirrel lands on you...trigger panic!!!

Getting back into nature is a lot better than sitting in front of a screen that's for sure. It really does provide calm compared to the stress felt of being on all these devices and the fast pace of life. It's well worth continuing with, although whether you start hugging trees is up to you :biggrin:

MyNameIsTerry
25-06-19, 03:33
Well he did ask how long do I stand up during the day, and I said sometimes my week alternates between either sitting down all day, or on my feet all day (6-8 hours at a time on some days. I also drive 45 mins each way to work.

I very rarely sit down and put my feet up, so he suggested raising my legs if I'm sitting down.

I do walk a lot so I don't feel there's an issue with excercise, and I'm not overweight.

Last night I did come across an article where a 36 year old man, diagnosed with depression, had pitting oedema. He underwent all the medical tests and all was normal. So he was treated for depression - meds and relaxation techniques and the oedema went after 4 months..........

I saw a programme recently where the woodlands are used to treat depression, so I decided to go for a walk in the local woods this afternoon. Ended up slipping half way round and jarred my shoulder (heard a squelch and a tear), so I'm sat here with an ice pack on my back................go for a nice walk in nature they said........

So, would your GP give you such basic treatment advice if you had a serious condition? And why would it not have been picked up on all these tests you have had?

Anyone can get this. It can even be idiopathic in nature.

MrLurcher
27-06-19, 10:20
So, would your GP give you such basic treatment advice if you had a serious condition? And why would it not have been picked up on all these tests you have had?

Anyone can get this. It can even be idiopathic in nature.

Hi Terry, well, I'm still doubting how much he tested my leg. IMO he didn't press hard enough to show the deeper indents I've seen. Only last night I pressed down on my inner shin and created a 5mm deep indent which stayed there for a good 2-3 mins.

Finding it hard to trust his judgement now, and maybe he didn't really check my leg properly because he thought I was just talking rubbish again.

This has been going on for a few months now, and everything I read about chornic pitting edema points to a serious underlying cause. I had my last set of bloods covering mostly everything back in early March so maybe if theres something wrong it was too early in its process to show up on bloods. I also had that elevated enzyme which came back to normal, but what if that was a subtle sign of liver disease? My great grandfather died of aomething kidney related as well, granted he was in his 70s, but thats also on my mind.

This is really hard.

BlueIris
27-06-19, 10:35
Here's something to think about:

Why is it that your doctor, with all his training, isn't pressing hard enough? Couldn't it simply be that you're pressing too hard?

utrocket09
27-06-19, 14:03
Hi Terry, well, I'm still doubting how much he tested my leg. IMO he didn't press hard enough to show the deeper indents I've seen. Only last night I pressed down on my inner shin and created a 5mm deep indent which stayed there for a good 2-3 mins.

Finding it hard to trust his judgement now, and maybe he didn't really check my leg properly because he thought I was just talking rubbish again.

This has been going on for a few months now, and everything I read about chornic pitting edema points to a serious underlying cause. I had my last set of bloods covering mostly everything back in early March so maybe if theres something wrong it was too early in its process to show up on bloods. I also had that elevated enzyme which came back to normal, but what if that was a subtle sign of liver disease? My great grandfather died of aomething kidney related as well, granted he was in his 70s, but thats also on my mind.

This is really hard.

This is a trained professional. I am sure they know how hard to press down to test for actual pitting edema. Sounds like are pressing too hard making it look like edema when it really is not.

Fishmanpa
27-06-19, 14:13
This is a trained professional. I am sure they know how hard to press down to test for actual pitting edema. Sounds like are pressing too hard making it look like edema when it really is not.

Its no different than those that doubt the doctor felt their 'swollen' node... The one they've dug around to find and poked and prodded to death.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
27-06-19, 14:30

This is really hard.

Hi MrL,

Physical examinations, and how to press stuff, it important to their training. They have to probe deeper into the body to search for things so more external pressure tests will be less advanced.

Like I said you can have it chronic for other reasons. If you saw it reduce due to trying what your GP is advising it would help you as anything idiopathic opens the door to uncertainty and doubt that are struggles for anxiety sufferers. Try it and see what happens.

As far as your own pressure testing goes, we don't know how hard to do it and how hard is too hard. You could wear tight socks and leave marks for some time. Last year I had to have a 24hr ambulatory BP test where you wear a cuff around your upper arm and it was tight. When I took it off I had huge red marks running around a trench in my arm. It must have been 3-4mm deep and it took a week to go and ended up scabbed and all sorts.

A doctor would never be pressing that hard so how do we know we are going further than needed?