PDA

View Full Version : Is it MS? Or Cancer? Or some undiscovered disease?

KatiePink
03-01-19, 12:23
7.30am - I've woken up to a strange feeling on the left side of my face. It feels sort of numb, weak, its tingling slightly. Thoughts start racing. I bring my hand to my face and pinch it, well that doesn't really hurt. I pinch the other side, now THAT HURTS. I do this frantically over and over, poking prodding pulling, it's definitely different. Heart racing, is it a stroke? I lift both my arms, that's fine. I talk, that's fine. Don't be daft of course it's not a stroke. But it definitely is something.
I get out of bed and walk carefully in my fragile state, to the bathroom, I look in the mirror, I do a big smile, that looks good, I puff out my cheeks, that seems okay, but it feels different. I try to snap out of it as I head back to the bedroom, bump into my partner, "why is your cheek all red" he asks.. I must have slept on it funny, I quickly replied...

2.30pm - Feeling good, let's make a cup of tea and put my feet up. Lovely. Wow this kettle feels heavier than usual. Sit down put something on the tele, quick feel of the face, yep that's fine. Everything is good. Lifts cup to mouth... Why am I shaking. Puts cup back down. Lifts it again... Still trembling. Heart racing, what is this? Of course it's MS I can't believe this is happening. Holds hand out in front of me, look at that!! Right calm down, just relax. Partner comes in. "Everything okay?".. not really my arm is weak and shaky for no reason. "Maybe all that shopping you carried yesterday?".
Yeah, it could be that I guess, or MS..

2 weeks later - I'm texting, a big long text to my mother, what's happening with my thumb. OMG it's moving on its own. I grab it to stop it, then slowly let go, there it goes again, flicking around like it's trying to escape my hand. This is not right. Do brain tumours cause this? I better check quickly. Tries to type in Google with a dodgy thumb 'thumb twitching brain tumour' .. omg, heart pounding, I can't actually believe it's a symptom. I didn't really think I was right but now I do...
Partner walks in "what's wrong?!" It's my bloody thumb look at it!
"Laughs, mine does that all the time"..

To be continued... :roflmao:

This is cheering me up.

Carnation
03-01-19, 16:23
Stress!!!!!! :hugs:

MyNameIsTerry
03-01-19, 17:05
And that GF.

Weakness is experienced by many people but there is a big difference between the sort of transient things the human body experiences many times as normal compared to something actually physically wrong. Think about how the GF fatigue was seriously bad compared to fatigue you may feel at other times through mental health. Both can be crippling but when it's physical it tends to hit you no matter what and nothing works for it until the body is ready.

You could have even slept on your face and pinched a nerve.

Often weakness can be experienced through positional stresses on the body. Just think how you get a dead leg. The same can happen when you hold a mobile phone at a certain angle because of the unusual position causing nerve compression and with things like grip we often have physical weaknesses anyway hence why we get things like carpal tunnel because we don't exercise muscles equally (push, pull) hence closing the grip is stronger then opening it (which I found was bothering my forearms and doing some work opening my hand with resistance bands cleared it right up :yesyes:).

I've noticed more weakness issues since suffering with my mental health like I have many other things that are not necessarily anxiety symptoms. But also I've found I have more nerve issues than before (neck spasms which were unpleasant to say the least, 2 years worth of sciatica, facial nerve issues, etc).

KatiePink
03-01-19, 17:27
I'm writing my irrational thoughts and behaviours down, it helps to see it there for what it is and just how humourous it must sound to some people.

Gosh I've belly laughed myself at some of the stuff I've cooked up :roflmao:

Yes Terry a lot of nerve issues for me, long lasting sciatica on and off, terrible shoulder neck issues which I'm currently seeking physiotherapy for, aswell weaknesses and just general aches pains and odd feelings. Definitely stress and anxiety, they effect the body in ways we probably still don't fully understand.

It is hard going when you've not been diagnosed with a 'physical issue' but feel so damn bad all the time, its hard to know what to tell people that's why I don't I just avoid things and make excuses.

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:24 ----------

My neck shoulders issues are from bad posture, chronic tension and the way i hold my phone! I just think, why doesn't everyone have these problems then, but I guess we are all different.

MyNameIsTerry
03-01-19, 23:27
Yeah, I used to sit hunched at my work desk for years and nothing mattered. Do it now and on come the aches & pains! :doh:

It's like getting old before your time. I guess it's the impact of so much stress and poor quality recuperation.

Maybe it's like with the immune system. That gets low and you get more things. Anxiety is supposed to have a link to inflammation in the body after all so it would make sense.

KatiePink
03-01-19, 23:39
I didn't know about the link with inflammation but that makes sense. I remember reading some study on the effects of long term anxiety etc. Quite an eye opener really and just shows how much the mind effects the body.