PDA

View Full Version : Worried about my child!!!!

Luja
04-01-19, 05:52
Hi,

So back here again, but now after having sleepless nights I feel I need to explain.

Since Dec my youngest child has had a cold and a nasty cough I put it down to him starting football and playing out in the cold and also having the flu jab. His cough had got a lot worse and on Wednesday I took him to our GP who said he felt it was viral. He then checked the glands on my child's neck .... this where I am freaking out. When my child was roughly 2 he had a very enlarged infected Lymph node that bad he had to stay in hospital. After a year of freaking out I saw a consultant who said that Lymph nodes go up and down and not to worry as my fears would have many other symptoms. My child's lymph nodes go up and dpwn but never away!!! I have had counselling on and off for 4 years with my health anxiety. My child has 'lumps' all down the side of the neck. The Dr has asked us to go back in 2 weeks if they haven't got smaller as he feels they need to be looked into ..... que my freaking out. I asked why and the Dr brushed me off. My husband told me not to panic as he seems to think a Dr wouldn't let a child go 2 weeks if he thought a child would have cancer!!!!! I can't stop crying and just lie awake praying it isn't!!!!

Worrywart84
04-01-19, 06:46
The lymph nodes are likely just a result of the viral infection. I think it’s almost a standard phrase to say “if they haven’t gone down in two weeks come back” similar to how doctors say “if this grows/changes/symptoms worsen then come back.” It’s almost like a required sentence at the end of an appt. Lymph nodes are always there—and sometimes they can become shoddy and never really go back down completely. Your husband is right—if they were concerned they would have ordered tests immediately. I hope you can try to get some sleep.

textsfromthemoon
04-01-19, 07:16
The lymph nodes are likely just a result of the viral infection. I think it’s almost a standard phrase to say “if they haven’t gone down in two weeks come back” similar to how doctors say “if this grows/changes/symptoms worsen then come back.” It’s almost like a required sentence at the end of an appt. Lymph nodes are always there—and sometimes they can become shoddy and never really go back down completely. Your husband is right—if they were concerned they would have ordered tests immediately. I hope you can try to get some sleep.

Yup agree with this, I got sick a lot as a kid and I always remember the Dr saying something similar to my mom/stepdad at the end of the appointments, Doctors want to make sure if the patient isn't feeling better they are brought back in, I definitely don't think he meant anything sinister by it :) hope you rest well tonight!

Luja
04-01-19, 15:12
Thanks, I just hate where I am at. I have spent 4 years of truly trying hard to make myself better. He is ok with himself, running around like a nutter but the lumps are just awful. I stupidly googled it and it said about constantly having a cold and he has since middle of Dec!!!!! Thank you for trying to put my mind at rest.

ErinKC
04-01-19, 18:45
My kid is sick all winter. It's a nightmare. I hate this time of year. Someone in my house has been sick since the beginning of December! I finally went to urgent care for a throat culture yesterday because I'd had a sore throat for a week, so now we'll probably get another virus for being at the doctor. I just count the days down to warm weather.

I wouldn't worry about this. If the doctor was concerned he'd tell you. If he had all those nodes without being sick I think it would be more of a concern, but that's their function - to fight illness.

Scass
04-01-19, 19:23
The winter my daughter turned 4 we had viruses for 6 months. I do understand your worry, but GPs do usually ask you to come back if your child is still poorly in a couple of weeks. They don’t send you off if they’re concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luja
05-01-19, 17:40
Thank you. I am just soo worried, my husband thinks I am crazy that it's eating me up soo much. He has been me.from touching the lumps as he said I may aggravate it and just look at him. I know my husband is talking sense but I can't help being scared.

Scass
05-01-19, 19:13
Well he’ll be better soon & then you’ll start to calm a bit.

I think our own experience of trauma definitely makes it harder to handle, but watch your husband, if he’s not concerned then you probably shouldn’t be. I know that Mum’s instinct is important, but watch your boy and husband and try and gauge it from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk