PDA

View Full Version : Can TMJ cause any kind of swelling?

jhopley
04-01-19, 13:01
I have been suffering pretty badly with TMJ over the last month or so and I have been clenching and grinding my teeth terribly.

I have now felt a bump on under my jaw against the side of my jaw bone and I am worried about it - could this be caused by TMJ?

---------- Post added at 13:01 ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 ----------

Please can someone help me

Shadowhawk
04-01-19, 13:06
I gotta say, i find your question really interesting, since it basically could be me writing it. I can suffer VERY badly from TMJ (and likely have been for most of my life, it just took a while to diagnose), and i too have a lump on one side under my jaw. I have had it for a decade (or more thinking about it), it has not grown, and i was told by my GP at the time that it was a ganglion cyst. I case you ware wondering, my lump is approx 2cm (actually might be a bit smaller now), relatively firm but very mobile, right at the end of my jaw before it turns up towards my ear. It causes no pain or problems (hell, i even find myself playing with it at times when i remember it.. heh)

Now, TMJ issues, even aside from cysts, can definitely cause swelling, especially if muscle is torn or damaged. Frankly, it would be worth it to see a doctor, not because i imagine the lump is serious (of course, point it out to them), but because there are some treatments that can help alleviate the problems.

jhopley
04-01-19, 13:45
Was it against the wall of your jaw?

Shadowhawk
04-01-19, 13:49
Was it against the wall of your jaw?
It still IS along the bottom(ish) of my jaw. Again, easily a decade (or more, its been so long i cant remember the origin, but i think it was around high school).

And injury from TMJ issues can cause lots of issues including swelling and pain. Again, this is why i say get it checked, because they may be able to offer a treatment for one or both of the issues. I wouldn't panic over it, but its worth trying to treat either way.

jhopley
04-01-19, 13:53
Thanks allot I will do :)