PDA

View Full Version : Why do we still get symptoms when we’re calm?

Alde
06-01-19, 17:38
Hi all,

I think my anxiety is starting to calm down a bit, thankfully!

However, even when I’m relaxed and my mind is on something completely different like watching a film, my heart still randomly speeds up. I still get skipped beats regularly as well.

Why is it that even when our minds are otherwise occupied and we haven’t been worrying for hours/days that we still get the symptoms of anxiety?

Cheers,

Al

Fishmanpa
06-01-19, 17:47
I posted this on another one of your threads...

Anxiety is like a campfire. When you're in the midst of a spiral the fire is burning bright and hot. When the flames die down, there's still a bed of red hot coals burning away just waiting for some more fuel. You may not feel anxious but your body is still on high alert and has a bed of hot anxiety coals inside just waiting to flare up. Just like a campfire, the hot coals of anxiety take a long time to finally go out.

Positive thoughts

Alde
06-01-19, 17:57
I posted this on another one of your threads...

Positive thoughts

Cheers Fish, I do remember, I have the quote saved on my phone.

I was just interested to find out the medical reason, if there is one!

Midnight-mouse
06-01-19, 18:21
I don’t have a medical reason per say but my understanding is that just because we are calm doesn’t mean the condition isn’t still there. Much like any other condition, just because symptoms are managed doesn’t mean the condition isn’t still present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrLurcher
06-01-19, 18:31
Im also getting scary symptoms when I feel calmer, which coincide with MS symptoms which returns to fuel my fear of getting it.

ankietyjoe
06-01-19, 22:46

There isn't a specific medical reason, rather a number of bodily systems that takes months to calm down. In particular, the sympathetic nervous system and overused adrenals.

Fishmanpa
06-01-19, 22:47

What happens with anxiety is a release of Adrenalin. That Adrenalin causes a reaction which ramps up your anxiety and symptoms. The stimulus can be from something conscious or unconscious. So you still have the coals of anxiety alive and something feeds it. It's talked about in detail in the symptoms section (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms).

Positive thoughts

KK77
06-01-19, 23:26
What happens with anxiety is a release of Adrenalin. That Adrenalin causes a reaction which ramps up your anxiety and symptoms. The stimulus can be from something conscious or unconscious. So you still have the coals of anxiety alive and something feeds it. It's talked about in detail in the symptoms section (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms).

Positive thoughts

Quite right, Fish. This is what so many here with HA fail to grasp. "I haven't been anxious lately but I still have x, y, z symptoms..."

The flames of HA might come and go but the coal will continue to burn unless radical action is taken to treat the underlying anxiety disorder.

jray23
07-01-19, 01:12
I'm just theorizing here, with no scientific credentials whatsoever, but I believe brain wiring/plasticity has something to do with it. I believe prolonged anxiety re-wires how our brain works, and that takes time to wire back to a normal state.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

ankietyjoe
07-01-19, 09:48
I'm just theorizing here, with no scientific credentials whatsoever, but I believe brain wiring/plasticity has something to do with it. I believe prolonged anxiety re-wires how our brain works, and that takes time to wire back to a normal state.

Pretty much this, although it's not specifically the brain. There isn't really a barrier between the brain and the body, as everything in our body is actually one system. The strongest link seems to be between the brain and gut (for example). The central nervous system is connected to everything, and in the presence of too much adrenaline, every single system in the body is affected. Our entire body is a habitual machine, so if you pumped out 1500 units of adrenaline yesterday, it will want to do the same today. It's the same reason we experience jet lag, get hungry at the same time most days, get sleepy at the same time etc.

Alde
07-01-19, 10:13
Thank you all for the replies, all very helpful and appreciated.

I’ve always had quite an impatient (as well as anxious) nature so whenever I have an extended period of calm I get annoyed when I’m still getting the same physical symptoms! It’s helpful to know why they’re still there.

ankietyjoe
07-01-19, 10:34
It takes months :)