PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here been "cured" of their health anxiety?

niknakx
08-01-19, 09:32
This bout of health anxiety has me in a real hole at the moment. I'm very much in needing of some positive stories of people who managed to conquer their health anxiety, and how they did it.

I managed to beat it once for about 1.5 years and I was so proud of myself. I went on Citalopram, had CBT and after a few weeks I was back to my normal self. I want to get back to this so much, but right now I'm feeling quite hopeless. I came off my citalopram about 3 months ago, but I'm debating going back on them as they seemed to help last time, does this sounds like a good idea? I just want to feel normal again. Thanks for taking the time to read guys :)

jojo2316
08-01-19, 10:27
Sorry no!
I do have periods of “remission” though and as time goes on I am learning better how to live with it. Meds do help- and if they helped you I would suggest going back on them

ankietyjoe
08-01-19, 10:42
Just before the new year I found out my Dad has prostate cancer, and so does my Uncle. This makes it particularly hereditary. I have to get a blood test soon, to find out.

I ain't panicking.

So yes, you can cure yourself.

Midnight-mouse
08-01-19, 11:22
Honestly yes, it’s not easy and I do still have the occasional thought that if I wasn’t careful would be something I could obsess over but I just don’t let it happen. I’m very firm with myself but I do live a live a life of no health anxiety at all now, and it’s going to stay that way.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KK77
08-01-19, 12:10
HA is a particularly nasty beast because it focuses on two things we most want to avoid in life: suffering and death. Once there is acceptance of this, fear will begin to loosen its grip.

Of course no one wants to be diagnosed with a terrible disease but we must also accept our mortality. We must accept that there are things we cannot change and take responsibility for those we can.

I've said many times that unless anxiety is dealt with and 'treated', the HA cycle will go on. Treating symptoms will not "cure" HA, but treating anxiety will cure many of the symptoms. And some symptoms will persist even in the absence of anxiety because fear has physiological as well as psychological effects on the human body. Fear will leave its mark and it will take time to heal.

But in time mind and body can heal.

AMomentofClarity
08-01-19, 16:28
I’m not sure if it’s ever fully “cured”, but it’s all about challenging negative thoughts. Let’s say you find a lymph node....instead of jumping immediately to cancer you think, could be infection, could be a shotty node, could be not even swollen, just easy to feel, etc etc. From there you make a plan for an outcome, such as, I’ll leave it alone for 3 weeks, and if it doesn’t go away see my GP. If he says it’s fine all let it go.

To me at least, it’s about not letting the HA consume you more than it is curing it.