PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty swallowing

Scooby1
01-09-07, 16:53
Hi all
Just wanted to ask if anyone of you has suffered with this problem. It feels like my throat goes into a bit of a spasm, and is difficult to swallow sometimes, that of course brings on that flash of panic as it almost feels like I might choke. It's fine when I'm eating or drinking, it just seems to happen out the blue, like I can't swallow my own saliva......weird. Would be good to hear from anyone who knows what I mean.

Scott

Granny Primark
01-09-07, 19:22
The lump in the throat feeling is a common sign of anxiety.
I had that for years and never realised it was a symptom of anxiety until I came on nmp.
Im sure theres loads of info on the site about problems swalling.

Take care
LYNN xx

nomorepanic
01-09-07, 19:24
I have had mine for over 2 years now! Very annoying.

Read the threads on here about it...

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7784

sthldnboy
01-09-07, 20:45
Hi there,

I have had anxiety and panic attacks for 5 years but the swallowing issue started in the last couple of weeks and it scared the life out of me.
With me it is solid food - it feels like it is stuck and that i am choking which throws me into a panic - sometimes i have to cough up stuff to try and clear my throat - then if i take a drink that seems to get stuck - then after awhile my throat seems to open up and it seems to clear!
as a result i am terrifed of eating out at the moment in case it happens!!!

It is not nice!
xx

Wiggy
13-03-09, 20:23
Hi Scott.

I'm having exactly the same problem.,
For no apperent problem i suddenly can't swallow saliva.
It takes several attempts to swallow correctly, but the after effect (panic, wet hands, shakes) lasts for hours.. It felt like some kind of spasm, and it doesnt happen when eating.

I do suffer with anxity and have had several panic attacks this week already (the last one resulted with an ambulance being called out).
I was hoping that things were improving and this problem was going away, but i guess it isn't.

My only help is to keep a packet of fruit pastles with me and to chew on one after it happens.

If anyone has any clues as to whats going on i'd be happy to know too.

Andy :roflmao:

kenboon
13-03-09, 21:20
I used to have this problem and it would escualte to the point that i would have a full blown attack. I found Chewing Gum and carrying Water as well helped me. And also distraction will help too if you are focusing on it.

All the best

Ken

CharlesLinden
13-03-09, 22:03
Scooby, look at this page about Globus Hystericus http://www.panic-anxiety.com/articles/globus-hystericus/ , which is what you are experiencing. This is one of the most common anxiety symptoms but theer are things you can do to minimise its impact till you eliminate your anxiety completely. Hope it helps. Take care. Charles

Chrissie21
30-03-09, 20:01
I am the same, in the sense that I only started getting it recently, even though I have had anxiety for 14 years...Only happens when i am driving but is horrible - i open a window and take deep breaths.. keep telling myself 'its only panic its only panic! some sort of distraction ( in my case a blast of fresh air) normally does the trick.

bishops
30-03-09, 20:04
Classic anx and panic] get it all the time,find murray mints work for me

mass
31-03-09, 05:55
OMG.. this happens to me a million times a day... the moment I swallow the chewed food, it feels like the food it too dry and it will get stuck in my throat... then I panic (a 2 second panic attack, wow) until it passes down safely...