PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping issues

LouiseAndy
09-01-19, 06:24
Hi everyone....

So I'm writing this to you. Freshly at nearly 6 am and I haven't still slept! Well I feel myself improving in some ways... I'm really struggling right now and could use some advance.

So night time was always bad for me, Sleep once was my favourite pass time but now it seems like something that scares me.

I keep getting this like fuzzy/strange feeling in my chest. Like my heart would stop at any moment, when I feel close to sleeping. It's like I stop breathing and I have to sit up to catch my breath. I also feel off in another number of ways. So many nights I feel I won't make it... Yet I'm still here!

I'm just wondering if anyone could share some tips with me. I'm really slipping here. I have a appointment later this month with my therapist. I'm also getting up earlier and working out more so I don't know why I'm struggling to get to sleep before 5 am if I'm lucky!

---------- Post added at 06:24 ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 ----------

Suddenly I feel so much worse, I keep getting these strange hot flushes! My face feels warm but doesn't look red. I also just feel... So blah and out of it. I keep waiting for some sign of morning now so this could be over but the darkness keeps dragging. I feel dizzy and just sorry for venting so much. I just feel so alone

WiseMonkey
09-01-19, 06:52
Hi everyone....

So I'm writing this to you. Freshly at nearly 6 am and I haven't still slept! Well I feel myself improving in some ways... I'm really struggling right now and could use some advance.

So night time was always bad for me, Sleep once was my favourite pass time but now it seems like something that scares me.

I keep getting this like fuzzy/strange feeling in my chest. Like my heart would stop at any moment, when I feel close to sleeping. It's like I stop breathing and I have to sit up to catch my breath. I also feel off in another number of ways. So many nights I feel I won't make it... Yet I'm still here!

I'm just wondering if anyone could share some tips with me. I'm really slipping here. I have a appointment later this month with my therapist. I'm also getting up earlier and working out more so I don't know why I'm struggling to get to sleep before 5 am if I'm lucky!

---------- Post added at 06:24 ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 ----------

Suddenly I feel so much worse, I keep getting these strange hot flushes! My face feels warm but doesn't look red. I also just feel... So blah and out of it. I keep waiting for some sign of morning now so this could be over but the darkness keeps dragging. I feel dizzy and just sorry for venting so much. I just feel so alone

Yes it can become a vicious cycle, worrying about not sleeping makes sleep less likely. Not worrying about whether you sleep or not makes sleep more likely. I didn't sleep for 4 months but I had bad depression and anxiety and medication wasn't working! I had to learn to read lots of books at night. I wasn't working as I was looking after 2 young children.

Eventually I found the right antidepressant and was able to sleep. That was 30 years ago. I still don't sleep well and now take 10 mgs of Doxepin (a low dose tricyclic antidepressant).

Midnight-mouse
09-01-19, 09:15
I still go through periods of bad sleep myself, it’s the only time the anxiety tends to win now - when I’m asleep/falling asleep/first wake up.

The more you worry the less you will sleep, the less sleep you get the worse you feel mentally and physically. Unfortunately this is a normal human problem, not unique to those of us with mental health issues.

The best you can do is relax even if you’re not sleeping, you know that the sensation are not going to hurt you and that they are just anxiety. Remind yourself of that fact, read books, listen to music or podcasts and just enjoy being still and calm, if sleep comes then that’s a bonus.

Positive vibes,

Mouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueIris
09-01-19, 10:11
Mouse is right. Quiet time resting in bed is almost as good as sleeping.

Find something calm and enjoyable you can do (preferably with the lights out) and then wait it out.

LouiseAndy
10-01-19, 02:43
Yes it can become a vicious cycle, worrying about not sleeping makes sleep less likely. Not worrying about whether you sleep or not makes sleep more likely. I didn't sleep for 4 months but I had bad depression and anxiety and medication wasn't working! I had to learn to read lots of books at night. I wasn't working as I was looking after 2 young children.

Eventually I found the right antidepressant and was able to sleep. That was 30 years ago. I still don't sleep well and now take 10 mgs of Doxepin (a low dose tricyclic antidepressant).

Thank you so much for the reply! I found when I was on antidepressant either it was the perfect storm of I was raving around all night or you couldn't move me from the bed I was sleeping so often! :doh: I used to read alot also! Maybe I should get back into that again! Use this time awake for some good instead of freaking out!

---------- Post added at 02:41 ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 ----------

I still go through periods of bad sleep myself, it’s the only time the anxiety tends to win now - when I’m asleep/falling asleep/first wake up.

The more you worry the less you will sleep, the less sleep you get the worse you feel mentally and physically. Unfortunately this is a normal human problem, not unique to those of us with mental health issues.

The best you can do is relax even if you’re not sleeping, you know that the sensation are not going to hurt you and that they are just anxiety. Remind yourself of that fact, read books, listen to music or podcasts and just enjoy being still and calm, if sleep comes then that’s a bonus.

Positive vibes,

Mouse.

Thank you so much for the reply! I've read over it a few times and it's so true. Just because I've had a few rough nights of sleep doesn't mean there's something horrible wrong! I think a big issues for me was the height of my anxiety (the health one, not other anxieties I deal with) started off while I was trying to sleep. When sometimes goes wrong, especially at night. It really sets me off! :wacko:

---------- Post added at 02:43 ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 ----------

Mouse is right. Quiet time resting in bed is almost as good as sleeping.

Find something calm and enjoyable you can do (preferably with the lights out) and then wait it out.

Thank you for the reply! Yeah, like I said. Maybe I should use my time better and try picking up a few books! Like when I was in secondary school. (Like between the ages of 13/18) I would be awake until like 7 am everyday! Never upset me back then! Shouldn't try to fight it so much!

Midnight-mouse
10-01-19, 03:02
You will get this, the more you build it up the worse it is. The nights make us feel vulnerable but just remember if there ever were something serious help would be there just as easy at night as in the day.

What you have going on is uncomfortable but not dangerous - keep repeating that, you are strong and able to cope, it will pass.

Take it easy and enjoy your rest, you never know you might wind up reading some great books! Again it’s uncomfortable but not dangerous. Personally I love being awake at night sometimes, at least it’s quiet and all the noisy people are off sleeping, best time for taking a little while just for ourselves.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

LouiseAndy
13-01-19, 05:07
You will get this, the more you build it up the worse it is. The nights make us feel vulnerable but just remember if there ever were something serious help would be there just as easy at night as in the day.

What you have going on is uncomfortable but not dangerous - keep repeating that, you are strong and able to cope, it will pass.

Take it easy and enjoy your rest, you never know you might wind up reading some great books! Again it’s uncomfortable but not dangerous. Personally I love being awake at night sometimes, at least it’s quiet and all the noisy people are off sleeping, best time for taking a little while just for ourselves.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Thank you so much for replying again :hugs: You made some great and very interesting points! Sorry for taking so long to reply. Sadly my co-worker died very unexpectedly and we're not really sure what happened around it! So it's been a very sad and tension filled time at my work place as we're a small number of staff this lost has been felt very hard.

I was dealing with every well, chest feels thigh (shoulder and arm hurt etc) and the bad feelings return. Thigh test, breathless etc etc. All small issues I know after this happening and I'm sorry. I;m doing my best to be calm!

---------- Post added at 05:07 ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 ----------

I've had a really hard night...I've had bad bad in my left arm for awhile. My chest hurts while breathing...my chest feels bad. I feel so many bad things....I;m trying to be positive. Like I have lots of burping so just trying to say reflux but I;m struggling some please

lukeneal26
13-01-19, 05:28
My sleep has been a mess for years so I feel your pain! It's 5.30am and I've had 2-3 hours sleep lol. The only time I sleep well is if I've had a beer haha and as I only drink once a week I only sleep well once a week.....id try reading and not using this site before bed as you need to try and relax yourself which I know is easier said then done! I try and set my self a winding down time so if I'm aiming to be asleep by 11 I put my phone ext away by 10 and try and read! Works maybe once a week if I'm lucky but might be better for you?

LouiseAndy
13-01-19, 10:36
My sleep has been a mess for years so I feel your pain! It's 5.30am and I've had 2-3 hours sleep lol. The only time I sleep well is if I've had a beer haha and as I only drink once a week I only sleep well once a week.....id try reading and not using this site before bed as you need to try and relax yourself which I know is easier said then done! I try and set my self a winding down time so if I'm aiming to be asleep by 11 I put my phone ext away by 10 and try and read! Works maybe once a week if I'm lucky but might be better for you?

Thank you for advice! I'll defo try using that method in the future! I'm normally a okayish sleeper but things have really turned on their head!