PDA

View Full Version : Acanthocytes - Causing anxiety

MarkyMark88
09-01-19, 19:06
Has anybody ever had acanthocytes shown on a blood smear? I had these and polychromasia show up on a blood smear and idk what they are. I wish I could say I didn't google......but I did. I couldn't find anything good :sad:

---------- Post added at 13:06 ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 ----------

Liver failure, enlarged spleen due to leukemia, bone marrow damage due to leukemia, heart disease, and a few other really crazy blood disorders associated with these types of blood cells. This is the third blood smear in four months and the first time these have been mentioned. I feel as though something is brewing.

EmmerLooeez
10-01-19, 13:51
I don't have any experience of this, I'm sorry. Just wanted to drop a line as I noticed that you had no replies.

Have you spoken to your doctor about the blood results? They will have a better idea then anyone here I'm sure.

Sending love, it's easier said than done but try not to worry. x

MarkyMark88
10-01-19, 16:35
I have a follow up with my hematologist on Monday for the autoimmune issue I've been having. My gf and I did some deep research into what these are and read my past lab reports.

A pathologist that did my last blood smear did note these cells, he just used a different medical term to explain them which is why this new verbiage made it come as a surprise to me. And these cells are found with what the hematologist thinks I have, hemolytic anemia.

So my Dr has seen this since I talked to him last. The last things he said to me at that appointment was "just try not to worry about this so much, ok?" Since putting all this together I'm a little more at ease.

And thank you for reaching out. To see that someone who is obviously in a bad way hasn't received any feedback and say "hey I'm thinking about you" is an extremely kind gesture. Even if, like you said, don't have any experience with the topic, it means a lot. A lot of threads that get posted receive a lot of clicks but no engagement. I hope you've started a trend.

Mark