PDA

View Full Version : Brown spots under skin on fingers and splinter hemorraghes on toes

GRVY
10-01-19, 03:03
So back in February of last year I had a massive outbreak of splinter hemorraghes on toe and fingernails. Dermatologist did a CBC and ANA and all was clear. They kept growing out and coming back for about a month then resolved. I had a stress echo and resting echo in March and April for unrelated stuff going on. Everything looked normal. I was worried about things like endocarditis because of the random and numerous splinter hemorraghes. However since the echo was clear I put it out of mind 11 months later I just noticed 2 small Splinter hemorraghes on toenails. One on pinky toe and one on middle toe on opposite feet. Also for the last month I have noticed these two areas that are about 2 to 3 mm that are full of little brown spots under the skin on my thumb tip and middle fingertip I one hand. I have also been fighting off cold after cold for the last 2 months. This last one has been horrible and I am still fighting it off. I am getting a little worried about the splinter hemorraghes and brown pin prick spots on my fingers. Not sure what is causing them. I have a dermatology appointment on the 22nd but am having a hard time waiting that long to see what these are. Anybody have these before? I am worried about this stupid subacute endocarditis again.

Attached is a pic of one splinter hemorraghe and one area that has brown spots on finger. First pic is my thumb and second one is splinter hemorraghe on toe.

https://imgur.com/a/SEW2gBP

Here is another picture of thumb:
https://imgur.com/a/9bNnozE

GRVY
10-01-19, 16:23
Anyone ever have anything like either one of these?

BoxFridge
10-01-19, 17:23
Yes I have it's called petechiae, if you had CBC then there is nothing to worry about

GRVY
10-01-19, 17:36
Do they ever go away or just stay forever?

BoxFridge
10-01-19, 17:38
They go away, how long you had them for, is it just the fingers, it can be caused by minor injury, have you had them in any other places?

GRVY
10-01-19, 18:27
I have had one set for 3 weeks. One set for probably closer to 5 weeks or more. They may have been around longer. That is just when I noticed it. Just the spots in my fingers. No where else. The CBC I had was 11 months ago so before these popped up. It just freaks me out having these show up at the same time splinter hemorraghes showed up on a few toes.

BoxFridge
10-01-19, 18:36
Them going away normally a good sign, do you have any other symptoms

GRVY
10-01-19, 21:32
Just been fighting off colds left and right this year. So I have been feeling rather run down

---------- Post added at 21:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:30 ----------

So I reached out to my dr. He requested I send pictures. While doing so I noticed I have 5 toenails with these splinter hemorraghes. I am waiting to hear back on what he wants me to do. I am a little worried about this. I keep reading that splinter hemorraghes and painless lesions on hands and toes are signs of subwacute endocarditis. I read it is rare and even rarer for people without preexisting heart condition to have that disease but I can’t stop worrying. This sucks

Careful1
12-01-19, 02:16
I get splinter hemorrhages ALL the time.. There literally isn't a day that goes by that I don't have them on a couple of my nails. When they first started appearing years ago I was given blood work and a echo of my heart because of the association with endocarditis.. My testing was normal.
Splinter hemorrhages and petechiae happen for reasons outside of endocarditis, its not the only reason. I personally have tons of vascular skin issues for some reason.. I am prone to petechiae, I get splinter hemorrhages, I have livedo reticularis, palmer erythema in both palms, spider angiomas, cherry angioma, spider veins and thread veins... ALL my testing thus far has been normal...

Splinter hemorrhages can happen from trauma as well, in fact that's the most common cause. Let the dr check you over and if he/she says all is okay, believe it.

The spots in the photo look like petechiae and the one of your nail, it looks like it can be a splinter hemorrhage but it's not a very good picture to say for certain. In any case the petechiae will go away and the splinter hemorrhage will go away as well, it will grow out with your nail.

GRVY
13-01-19, 02:57
Thank you for your response. I am seeing the dr on Thursday. I have had the splinter hemorraghes before so I know what they look like. I had ekg, stress echo about a month after I first noticed them back I February of 2018. Then a month after that had a follow up echo and all was fine so I forgot about. Never got them back until just now (December/January). They are just on my toes so it might be related to how my toes hit my shoes or something because my toenails aren’t that strong. I don’t know. The last couple days I have been lcenter and left chest pain, which scares me all on its own but I am chalking that up to maybe cause reflux or something since I do t have any other symptoms of heart related things. Just gonna relax and wait for dr appointment on Thursday.

barnaut85
30-04-19, 20:57
Hi everyone,
Since 7 months, after a very stressful period, I've got exactly the same "problem": some splinter hemorrhage on fingernails and sometimes brown spots on my finger.
@GRVY do you have some news from your dr?
Thank u and best regards.