PDA

View Full Version : scared of BSE/Mad Cow Disease

NervousSubject
11-01-19, 01:14
Ok, I know that the Mad Cow Disease scare happened pretty much twenty, almost thirty some-odd years ago and that it should be old news. But recently I've been feeling kind of frightened about the possibility of a resurgence. It started when I read an article about FDA food inspections being affected by the recent government shutdown in the US. For some reason, this made me suddenly concerned about a Mad Cow Disease/vCJD outbreak happening in the US because of this....

Please tell me that this is too farfetched....

WiredIncorrectly
11-01-19, 03:33
Ok, I know that the Mad Cow Disease scare happened pretty much twenty, almost thirty some-odd years ago and that it should be old news. But recently I've been feeling kind of frightened about the possibility of a resurgence. It started when I read an article about FDA food inspections being affected by the recent government shutdown in the US. For some reason, this made me suddenly concerned about a Mad Cow Disease/vCJD outbreak happening in the US because of this....

Please tell me that this is too farfetched....

Very far fetched. BSE happened here in the UK around 20 years ago. I wasn't aware it happened in the US too at the same time. I wonder how that happened.

NervousSubject
12-01-19, 03:05
I still have some concerns though...Can someone help me?

Scass
12-01-19, 03:55
How can we help you? It’s very far fetched and not really even worth your time. It’s just an irrational fear will pass if you ignore it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ErinKC
12-01-19, 04:59
This isn't worth worrying about. Even in the total absence of the FDA, businesses put a huge amount of effort into ensuring they are sending out products that are safe for consumers. Look at how much money the romaine lettuce industry is losing over only a few hundred people getting sick. Sure, government regulations have likely improved food safety to an extent, but it's just good business to be safe.

And, mad cow would need a total breakdown in the way cows are raised for slaughter, something that would take a lot longer than 20 days to start happening.