PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here!

Dave
14-01-05, 00:41
Just want to say hello to you all, I've already spoke to some people in the chat room.

Basically I have been suffering from panic attacks for about 18 months, it began when I started having headaches and dizziness for no apparent reason. I had tests done which came back normal but I still continued to worry. Whenever I notice changes in my body I can't help but look up symptoms on the net which brings up all kinds of worrying diagnoses. Recently I've had problems with my throat which is making my anxiety and breathing feel worse than ever. I'm sure this site will help me though :)

Karen
14-01-05, 04:55
Hi Dave

Welcome to the site. It is good that you have had tests to rule out a medical cause for your symptoms. Are you getting any help from your doctor for the anxiety and panic?

It can be counter-productive to go looking up symptoms on the internet because if you look hard enough you will come up with some illness to fit your symptoms, even though this is highly unlikely to be the cause in most cases, especially when you have been checked by your doctor.

You will find a lot of help and support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

jill
14-01-05, 08:27
Hi Dave

Welcome to the site,

**I had test done which came back normal but I still continued to worry**
I know what you mean I was the same.
Since finding this site I am now alot better, some days I'm 100% better.
With alot of hard work support and time you to CAN learn how to feel
better.
Remember Dave you are not alone and there is light at the end of the tunnel.

TAKE CARE

JILLXXX

Great cahnges may not happen right away,
but with effort the difficult may become easy.

Meg
14-01-05, 16:46
Hi Dave ,

How are the headaches and dizziness now ?

What up with your throat - apart from perhaps feeling tight, difficult to swallow and having a lump in it ?

The internet is a wonderful resource but it is also the biggest source of fear and unvalidated data. - Be careful.

Do let us know what we can help you with.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Dave
14-01-05, 17:14
Thanks all.

I still get occasional headaches but they're not as bad and I no longer seem to get the dizziness except when very panicky.

My current problem is that my throat seems swollen and I have some rib tenderness. I was coughing quite a lot over xmas and more recently my breathing has been laboured (been told this is anxiety). I have had a barium swallow test and blood test, waiting on the results.

nomorepanic
14-01-05, 19:30
Hi Dave

Welcome aboard the forum.

We all go searching on the net looking for answers and then we all end with some incurable disease don't we?

Here are some previous posts that will reassure you ..

lump in throat - MORE HORRID SYMPTOMS!!!! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1957)

You may also relate to this recent post I made about breathing .... Reverse panic (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2246)

I hope the tests come back ok. Let us know won't you?

Nicola

FAN
15-01-05, 16:36
every one looks on the net for results of the symptoms they have i know i did and end up with all sorts of bad stuff, i stopped it now as i think a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing im sure if you look on here there will be the answers your looking for and also some good advice on coping with it

fan x

Dave
18-01-05, 17:10
Hi again. Both my blood test and x-ray came back normal.

Obviously I'm pleased but still concerned as to what is causing my throat to feel inflamed and lymph glands to be tender. I've also still got an occasional irritating cough which seems to be lasting ages. I guess it could be a virus or infection of some kind but wouldn't blood tests have picked that up?

nomorepanic
18-01-05, 17:51
I get a lot of throat infections and my gland feel tender sometimes.

I am not sure the blood tests would pick up a virus if they were testing for specific problems. But I am not sure what blood tests you had.

If it is no better in a couple of weeks I would go back to the doc for reassurance.

Hope you feel better soon Dave.

Nicola