PDA

View Full Version : Specific ? About Rabies & vaccine

LilyLabVA
12-01-19, 20:31
A cat way overdue for rabies booster bites someone. The cat is on 10 day quarentine but recieved it’s rabies vaccine from vet on day 1 of quarantine. Cat appears healthy but is an indoor/ outdoor cat. Does the fact that the vet gave the cat the vaccine skew the quarantine results?

Explain: we have an indoor outdoor cat and live in a very fairly rural area. When the cat was a kitten I thought it had its three-year rabies vaccine but found out today through records that it was actually for only one year. While I was getting the cat in the car for the vet he got a little scared , As he never rides in the car and he nipped at my daughter. There is a bite mark on her skin but it is very superficial only breaking the top layer of skin she didn’t say owl and it didn’t bleed. I explain this to the vet and we realize that the vaccination was outdated the vet basically said to keep the cat quarantined in our house for 10 days and call my daughters pediatrician who basically said the same thing my concern is that the fact that the vet gave the cat a booster vaccine that it could skew the results and if the cat does have rabies incubating it will not display symptoms due to the vaccination and we will never know that it had rabies.

NervUs
12-01-19, 21:40
No, the vaccine would not cure a cat from rabies. If the cat had symptomatic rabies, it would still get sick and die within the 10 days. If you are on day 10, you are good.

Sparky16
12-01-19, 22:01
On a related note, I recall from the horse world that there has been research in the last few years showng that rabies vaccinations last longer than we originally thought. So the cat may have been protected by the one year vaccine. Vets still vaccinate more often, of course, just to be on the safe side.

nomorepanic
12-01-19, 22:55
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

Double_Rainbow
15-01-19, 01:09
An animal can only give someone rabies while they are displaying symptoms, OR, no more than 4 days before the symptoms appear. Hence, for it to give your daughter rabies, the cat should have been basically already sick. Rabies vaccine doesn't work that far into disease. Put another way, if the cat has infected someone, that cat is a goner no matter what vaccine. You are okay, don't worry. It doesn't have rabies. As someone else said too, 1 year vaccine is the same as the 3 year, the difference is only in the state laws.

AMomentofClarity
15-01-19, 01:52
On a related note, I recall from the horse world that there has been research in the last few years showng that rabies vaccinations last longer than we originally thought. So the cat may have been protected by the one year vaccine. Vets still vaccinate more often, of course, just to be on the safe side.

This. My dog has an autoimmune condition that makes vaccines very dangerous, so instead of just giving him the shot, they test his immune resistance each year.....after 5 years he’s still going strong, hasn’t needed a booster yet.