PDA

View Full Version : Another skin problem

Sparky16
13-01-19, 01:55
Over the holidays I discovered a pink bump that has apparently appeared overnight. It's on is on my backside (yes, I'm sitting on it). At first I thought it was just a pimple, but after a couple of weeks it wasn't getting any better. So I went to see the nurse practitioner at my GP, and she said it was not a pimple, and is not infected. She said that she doesn't know what it is, but that it might be related to irritation. She thought it would be OK to keep an eye on it, or I could go to the dermatologist and get it biopsied. As you can imagine, I am not comfortable just keeping an eye on it. I called the dermatologist, and my appointment is this upcoming week.

I'm pretty stressed out about this. Ever since I had a basal cell cancer on my face a couple of years ago, my mind goes to cancer whenever I have a skin problem. I mean, what could this thing be if it's not a pimple? It's not hard and it doesn't hurt. Could irritation cause that sort of thing?

SarahNah
13-01-19, 03:23
I get things like that alot! My gp used to be a dermatologist before moving into being a gp! She said it was nothing to worry about! It was like I can't remember the exact name but it was kinda like a growth that went away after a few months! I hope everything goes okay x

RadioGaGa
13-01-19, 17:12
Sparky16

Certainly if your GP is happy enough to keep an eye on it, this should leave you reassured. See how it goes over the next few weeks, and follow up as needed.

Most likely nothing as GPs always err on the side of caution with these things, especially if there's a history.

Good luck

Carys
13-01-19, 18:00
I would have kept an eye on it personally (with a mirror lol). Mind, I'd not have gone to the GP with it either, unless it was causing problems like pain or suchlike - could it not just be a blocked hair follice? I have a handful of red 'bumps' in various locations on me, a doctor once told me that they were very localised over-reactions to insect bites that resulted in permanent scar tissue. Maybe you were nipped on the behind?

I'm sure its nothing to worry about, but would be interesting to hear what the dermatologist things it could be.:)

Sparky16
13-01-19, 18:26
Sarah, it's helpful to hear that you've had something similar. I feel like I get the weirdest skin things. But then, people usually don't talk about stuff like this!

RadioGaGa, you're right, they are very cautious with me since I have had basal cell cancer in the past. Even my dentist has stepped up checking the skin of my mouth and tongue at each visit.

Carys, I thought a blocked hair follicle was basically a pimple, and since the NP said it wasn't a pimple, figured that was out. I don't think I was nipped on the behind in December with snow on the ground, but I suppose anything is possible - there are some bugs that just move indoors for the winter.

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. It's been a long two week wait for the dermatologist, and I still have four days to go.

Carys
13-01-19, 18:38
Basal cell carcinoma is nearly always on areas that are sun exposed though, isn't it?

My dentist here has always done an visual screening for oral cancers.....is that new there ?

Ah well, yes, snow on the ground....probably not bug bite then. :blush:

Sparky16
14-01-19, 01:41
Yes, basal cell cancers are sun exposure related. This is not an area that I think has ever seen any sun! Having a basal cell cancer is supposed to increase your odds of having other types of skin cancers, though. Maybe because it's an indication of how much sun damage you have?

Dentists do always check you for oral cancers, but my dentist became a lot more thorough after my basal cell cancer. No wonder I have anxiety, these doctors will make you nervous!

WiseMonkey
14-01-19, 03:58
Yes, basal cell cancers are sun exposure related. This is not an area that I think has ever seen any sun! Having a basal cell cancer is supposed to increase your odds of having other types of skin cancers, though. Maybe because it's an indication of how much sun damage you have?

Dentists do always check you for oral cancers, but my dentist became a lot more thorough after my basal cell cancer. No wonder I have anxiety, these doctors will make you nervous!

Basal cell skin cancer doesn't have anything to do with oral cancers, unless it's around the skin around the outside of the mouth, but I'm glad your dentist is thorough!

I live in New Zealand where the UV sunlight is very strong and most fair skinned people (by age 50) have had solar keratosis or BCC. Yes it is an indicator of how much sun exposure you've had and fair skinned people are more susceptible.

BCC is not serious, it is a slow moving cancer and is easily removed. Likewise squamous cell carcinoma, so long as it's small/early. I had a 1 cm SCC removed from my shoulder recently and it was completely cleared.
Melanoma is far more serious, but less common. We get checked for this once or twice yearly.

Carys
14-01-19, 07:31

....but Sparky this is a wee bit inconsistent. BCC is from sun exposure. This new lump or bump hasn't seen any sun. You say BCC increases your odds of other sun-related skin cancers, (an indication of how much sun damage you have had) but to remind you again - this is an area with no sun exposure!

I honestly think Sparky that you are hyper fearful of skin issues since this BCC, and I stand by what I said that most people wouldn't be too worried about a lump on their bottom that looks like a spot. The nurse clearly wasn't bothered, and was happy with a 'wait and watch'.

Sparky16
15-01-19, 02:35
....but Sparky this is a wee bit inconsistent. BCC is from sun exposure. This new lump or bump hasn't seen any sun. You say BCC increases your odds of other sun-related skin cancers, (an indication of how much sun damage you have had) but to remind you again - this is an area with no sun exposure!

I honestly think Sparky that you are hyper fearful of skin issues since this BCC, and I stand by what I said that most people wouldn't be too worried about a lump on their bottom that looks like a spot. The nurse clearly wasn't bothered, and was happy with a 'wait and watch'.

I think I'm the victim of reading too many poorly written (or at least incomplete) articles on skin cancer, as well. I've seen articles that say that getting BCC indicates an increased risk of cancers in general, which is another thing that makes me so anxious. So I did some productive Googling and found this is true - but you have to get six or more BCCs in 10 years. My one BCC isn't even close to that.

Sparky16
25-01-19, 03:21
I wanted to post an update. The dermatologist NP said that this looked like the beginning of a skin tag. She said we could leave it be, but she decided to take it off because it was in a spot where it kept getting irritated by my clothing, which was causing the redness.