PDA

View Full Version : panic attacks on motorway..

fionabc
02-09-07, 17:13
Hi all, Im new here.

I had major stress all through my life, this triggered panic attacks two years ago out of the blue!! It makes me cry to think what i used to be able to do without feeling like this every day. I often look at other people and envy them.

Well I wanted to know if anybody out there has suffered a panic attack on the motorway? I used to drive 100's of miles each month but now i think Id fight tooth and claw if anybody drove me onto a motorway! Sounds mad and i feel so stupid for letting this condition take me over.

Does anybody else have this problem?

honeybee3939
02-09-07, 17:29
Hi Fiona

I havent anything usefull really to say regarding the motorway, but wanted you to know your not alone. when i go on a motorway i always have to sit in the back of the car so i cant see where i am going or i panic too.:ohmy: With me i think its the feeling of been trapped and not able to stop the car or pull over if i feel unwell. I no its all in my head, but i still find it real hard to cope with.

love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

fredster27
02-09-07, 17:39
i normally get it, i think its the fear of being trapped, i normaly know where the services are and pace my self, if i feel ok before i get to a services, the next is 30 miles on, ill focus on getting to that one, its a distraction!!!! :)

playing lound music and having to sing to allways helps:yesyes:

mirry
02-09-07, 18:23
I believe its not about fearing motorways or people or shops, it all about fearing the FEAR !

belle
02-09-07, 19:15
I can relate to this too but unforunately i can't offer you any advice either...i wish i could.

x

fejling
02-09-07, 22:03
I too have had panic attacks while in a car on the motorway, and once while driving. I've learnt that as horrible as they are the panic is not going to kill me and will go away within 15mins or so and this helps me to just kind of ride through it, it has taken me a while to get to this point though and CBT has helped a lot.

jill
02-09-07, 23:57
Hi there :D

Please read Nic's story

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=mystory
Nic had other treads going, ohhh but I can't find them, if you look at the very bottom of this tread, there are other links there,

YOU TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

beauty
03-09-07, 00:09
Hiya fiona,
Dont worry youre not alone! I had major stress as well, and it if often that which triggers it off. I find the attacks dont come along till after the stress has been and gone, so i get what you mean when you say they came out of the blue.
It very quickly takes control, and before you know it youre not doing the things you normally do. I was the same about 2 years ago when i went through a very bad few months and it got to the stage where i couldnt even drive anywhere, or go anywhere on my own. For me that was devestating as i am indeendent and like to stay busy. The motorway was, and still is a thing for me. It scares me as i worry i will have an attack there, and even though you can go on the hard shoulder for me it is the fear that no one will beable to calm me when im there, youre kind of alone.
What is it about the motorways for you that scares you..did you ever have a bad attack on a motorway (sorry the question mark isnt working on my rubbish com.

Ive started getting the attacks again recently after a few stresses in a row, but im determined this time not to let them beat me. I remember last time i felt like all was lost, but within a few months a i recovered and went on to lead a normal life and do the things i did before. Never give in!

Also i too envied others who were leading normal lives and started to even get jealous of my friends and boyfriend for being so carefree. Its a horrible feeling, but you will be able to beat it, try and work out where it stems from first, and accept that it is happening, then gradually try and do things that scare you.

Eva May
03-09-07, 12:51
Hi Fiona.I get them really bad on motorways too.Im so afraid of getting trapped on them. I know I can't just get off when I feel like it, I have to wait until there is an exit and that freaks me out! Have started to go on them for a couple of miles at a time and this seems to help but I still don't know what I would do if I ever got stuck on one so you are in no way alone :blush:

Lindalou64
03-09-07, 12:55
hi fionna thats my worst is driving on the highway but what mirry said is the key word fear of fear when ya have a panic attack so bad driving i avoided driving alone .........but can with someone..........im working on it.......linda

purplehaze
03-09-07, 13:14
Yea I agree its more to do with the fear than the motorway itself. There are so many exit points on the motorway so in reality there should be nothing to fear but I dont like going on them anyway. fear of motorways or anything else is just fear and its the fear that stops us doing it. My anxiety is OTT and has been for 4 weeks but I know the only way forward is to take small steps and face the fear....Hope you feel better soon

Paddington
03-09-07, 13:25
Welcome hun..:hugs: so glad you found us here:D Yep the old fear of fear and the envy thing..we all have it..thats why we are here..and you will get thru this.hun..it takes time and acceptance and baby steps and encouragment ..you will get that here hun..in boat loads.Yep Do read nic's thread as it got me behind the wheel again:D i dont go far but baby steps hun..baby steps:) I used to envy others too..i would be panicking in a shop looking at other folk thinkin i wonder what it is like to JUST GO SHOPPING!!!:ohmy: Now?..i just go shopping..and rather enjoy it..if the old feelings come back i iether deal with it or get out..it is ok to simply get out you know..when you allow yourself that, the feeling of being trapped goes really..as it is our choice ..no one is making us stay and panic:wacko: Of course motorways and public transport can make us feel out of control ..that is all it is..so we can work on that hey..:flowers: Lovely to meet you.Love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

neptuno
03-09-07, 19:00
Hello Fiona !
Yes, I get panic attacks on the motorway too. The worst I ever had was in a traffic jam on the M6, I was sick, dizzy, couln't breathe .... sound familiar ?
It was the pits, but I didn't die, or stop breathing, or morph into a raving lunatic ..... and I'm still here. I'm still not happy on the motorway, but I try to imagine a bubble around the car which protects me and then focus on where I'm going to. Also I do some EFT before I set off - this has really helped me.
see www.e-f-t.co.uk (http://www.e-f-t.co.uk)
Be kind to yourself

AngieJ
03-09-07, 23:55
Hi Fiona,
I'm ok on the motorway as long as the car is moving!
I had a pretty rough time last week on the M1 when we got stuck in some major traffic. Luckily I have a very understanding husband and we just took it one junction at a time, but I couldn't last out and we had to get off and find another way home.
I don't think those huge signs telling you that there is congestion further ahead help me much, I start worrying before we even hit the traffic...lol.
xxx

JaguarX
29-02-12, 20:55
Hey... I too get them on motorways and major A roads (roads like A34 Newbury to Oxford). About five years ago I got over them and was shooting around the M3, M25, A34, but not brave enough to do the M4 or M40... then suddenly just before Christmas last year they came back again... and I couldn't even do one junction on the M3 or get up the A34. I'm not sure what clicked either way, but i do put it down to stress and lack of self esteem. I have confidence, I can drive well, but I think its the feeling trapped till the next exit etc. I want that click to happen again so I get my Oooomph back and get back driving the short distances I could...

Recsense
01-03-12, 21:03
I used to hate them, and just went for avoidance. Now I have them when other people are driving on the motorways, I have to push hard on my chest and swallow. It helps if I shut my eyes but that's no help if you are the driver, but yes I have lost a lot of my independance.

ChitterChatter
01-03-12, 21:11
Hi fiona
I used to get them when driving whether or motorways or wee roads - felt that couldnt control hands and feet ! Tell ureself that u r in control and that u r going to beat it 1. To distract myself I added up number plates until i arrived at a single digit

RebeccaFrith
04-03-12, 20:21
I don't like going on parkways or Motorways either, gets me so panicy.. i always get my mum & uncle to drive the long way round.

london
23-05-12, 00:14
your do it you see
god bless

waunder
23-05-12, 04:56
Yes and I still do but I make myself anyway, I need my life back.I may panic but I won't die so I will just do it.I will still be here tomorrow despite the attacks anyway.:scared15: