PDA

View Full Version : Suffering with Tinnitus for 2/3 months

MobileChicane
15-01-19, 14:14
Hi all,

I've had a blocked left ear and tinitus (ringing in ear) for about 3 months now and it doesn't seem to be getting better. I went to the GP who gave me Otomize to clear "inflamation" but it didn't seem to be help with the 2 issues.

I completed a course of antibiotics which have maybe reduced the blockage from around 80% to around 40% but the pain and awful tinnitus are still there arguably worse.

I've read that the tinnitus will stay even if the blockage is entirely gone. What are the chances of it going away?

I've been to a private ENT who said my ears weren't inflamed and found a little bit of crust on the eardrum. He said I'm going to have to have a hearing test and possibly MRI scan.

Unfortunately I just don't have enough money to stay private and will have to wait for my ENT NHS referral which could take months.

The worst thing is that tinnitus has now started in my right ear too but I don't feel any pressure or feel like I can't hear. Wouldn't I know if I have hearing loss? I'm scared that this horrid ringing in both ears may stay forever. What if it's sound induced, or one of those cases where there's no real reason and it can't be fixed? I'm getting insomnia from this.

Does anyone have experience with Tinnitus and it going away?

---------- Post added at 15:14 ---------- Previous post was at 13:22 ----------

Just had a big feeling of sickness along with ear full. I think I have Ménière's Disease... I'm ****ing crying. After waking up I felt nauseated, had ringing in my ear, and a feeling of fullness in my ear all at the same time. I also feel extremely sensitive to sound. I can't believe it.

KK77
15-01-19, 14:46
It's impossible to tell with tinnitus. I've had it for over 20 years and I rarely notice it now unless it gets louder, which happens if I miss a dose of certain meds. There is a good chance yours will gradually clear up along with blockage but no one can say.

However, anxiety will make it worse for sure, as will certain ototoxic meds, so it's worthwhile doing some research on this.

Hope situation improves anyway.

---------- Post added at 14:46 ---------- Previous post was at 14:39 ----------

[/COLOR]Just had a big feeling of sickness along with ear full. I think I have Ménière's Disease... I'm ****ing crying. After waking up I felt nauseated, had ringing in my ear, and a feeling of fullness in my ear all at the same time. I also feel extremely sensitive to sound. I can't believe it.

I don't think you have Meniere's. I think your emotional state is causing these symptoms to worsen.

Try to calm down until you can see a doc.

ErinKC
15-01-19, 15:20
I have TMJ and get a lot of fullness and pressure in my left ear because of it. What usually helps me is to take an antihistamine plus anti-inflammatory for a few days. I usually do Claritin (loratadine) and Aleve (Naproxen) and it usually helps.

My husband randomly had tinnitus for a few months last year. He became really preoccupied with it and worried it wouldn't go away. Then I think he just kind of forgot about it and last month he was like - hey, I just realized my tinnitus is gone. So - as hard as it is - I think not over focusing on it is the best way to help relieve it.

For sleeping I would get some kind of sound machine that helps drown out the ringing. I don't have true tinnitus, but I can definitely hear a ringing in my ears when it's completely silent, so I have to sleep with a fan on.

MobileChicane
15-01-19, 15:27
I don't think you have Meniere's. I think your emotional state is causing these symptoms to worsen.

Try to calm down until you can see a doc.

But Ménière's Disease is likely if you get sudden bouts of dizziness. In the past few days I've suddenly felt sick out of where and start feeling fullness in the ear. That's a hallmark sign right?

I'm also very sensitive to sound and feel pain in both ears when I hear certain sounds. (The vibrations of me texting letters on my phone give my ear a little painful jolt.) There's no way that's just anxiety right?

KK77
15-01-19, 15:38
But Ménière's Disease is likely if you get sudden bouts of dizziness. In the past few days I've suddenly felt sick out of where and start feeling fullness in the ear. That's a hallmark sign right?

I'm also very sensitive to sound and feel pain in both ears when I hear certain sounds. (The vibrations of me texting letters on my phone give my ear a little painful jolt.) There's no way that's just anxiety right?

Anxiety, stress and vertigo can cause all this. You need tests to diagnose Meniere's but I don't think you have it.

When you seeing doc?

---------- Post added at 15:38 ---------- Previous post was at 15:35 ----------

(Naproxen) and it usually helps.

Naproxen along with aspirin and other NSAIDs are ototoxic and best avoided if you have tinnitus.

MobileChicane
15-01-19, 15:41
Anxiety, stress and vertigo can cause all this. You need tests to diagnose Meniere's but I don't think you have it.

When you seeing doc?

Even Hyperacusis? How can anxiety make my ears hurt and tingle when Im just typing on my phone?

And it depends if I go private or wait for NHS. I'd have hearing test on Monday if I went private but it'd be £300. NHS the referral hasn't gone through yet. Could be months.

KK77
15-01-19, 15:47
Even Hyperacusis? How can anxiety make my ears hurt and tingle when Im just typing on my phone?

And it depends if I go private or wait for NHS. I'd have hearing test on Monday if I went private but it'd be £300. NHS the referral hasn't gone through yet. Could be months.

Hyperacusis is common with tinnitus and I have that too. You must stop Googling symptoms because it's ramping up your anxiety levels.

Why don't you go back to GP and explain just how badly all this is affecting you and that you're seriously considering going private. Perhaps it will help speed referral along?

ErinKC
15-01-19, 15:49
Naproxen along with aspirin and other NSAIDs are ototoxic and best avoided if you have tinnitus.

Thank you, I had no idea!

In the past few days I've suddenly felt sick out of where and start feeling fullness in the ear. That's a hallmark sign right?

This just sounds like dizziness caused by the fullness in your ear. Even small alterations in your middle ear can cause dizziness and nausea. It's like being sea sick. I often get dizzy and light headed when my ear is full.

MobileChicane
15-01-19, 15:49
My husband randomly had tinnitus for a few months last year. He became really preoccupied with it and worried it wouldn't go away. Then I think he just kind of forgot about it and last month he was like - hey, I just realized my tinnitus is gone. So - as hard as it is - I think not over focusing on it is the best way to help relieve it.

Did your husband have it in one or both ears? Mine is in both.

Did he have any Hyperacusis? Mine is really bad and painful.

ErinKC
15-01-19, 15:52
Also - anxiety can definitely cause pain and tingling in the ears. If you're anxious you may be tensing your jaw without realizing which can absolutely cause all those symptoms.

---------- Post added at 13:52 ---------- Previous post was at 13:50 ----------

Did your husband have it in one or both ears? Mine is in both.

Did he have any Hyperacusis? Mine is really bad and painful.

I'm not sure if it was in both ears or not and I don't think he had hyperacusis (which I had to just google).

MobileChicane
15-01-19, 15:58
Hyperacusis is common with tinnitus and I have that too. You must stop Googling symptoms because it's ramping up your anxiety levels.

Why don't you go back to GP and explain just how badly all this is affecting you and that you're seriously considering going private. Perhaps it will help speed referral along?

Do you think the Hyperacusis would go away if the tinnitus goes away? Can these both be caused by anxiety?

I have been to GP and told them that. I don't think it helped much.

KK77
15-01-19, 16:07
Do you think the Hyperacusis would go away if the tinnitus goes away? Can these both be caused by anxiety?

I have been to GP and told them that. I don't think it helped much.

There is a definite link between tinnitus, hyperacusis and anxiety disorders. I would think treating anxiety is first step. Then if tinnitus subsides or goes I would expect hyperacusis to follow.

Remember that all three of the above are affected by a hypersensitised nervous system.

You have to decide whether going private is worthwhile. Your anxiety levels will be a factor.

MobileChicane
15-01-19, 16:23
Thank you, I had no idea!

This just sounds like dizziness caused by the fullness in your ear. Even small alterations in your middle ear can cause dizziness and nausea. It's like being sea sick. I often get dizzy and light headed when my ear is full.

I am worried because the nausea and increase in pressure came out of nowhere just like a ménière's disease attack. What else could it be?

Thank you for your help.

---------- Post added at 17:15 ---------- Previous post was at 17:08 ----------

There is a definite link between tinnitus, hyperacusis and anxiety disorders. I would think treating anxiety is first step. Then if tinnitus subsides or goes I would expect hyperacusis to follow.

Remember that all three of the above are affected by a hypersensitised nervous system.

You have to decide whether going private is worthwhile. Your anxiety levels will be a factor.

I have a day or two to think about it. How did you get tinnitus by the way?

---------- Post added at 17:23 ---------- Previous post was at 17:15 ----------

I have also just checked my ear canals softly with both fingers. The ear that is painful seems to have a pulse (not tinnitus, but I can feel a bit rating pulse with my finger). What could that mean? The strangest sensation for me is feeling a small pain eveeytime I type a letter on my phone...

KK77
16-01-19, 11:01
I have a day or two to think about it. How did you get tinnitus by the way?

From an ear infection. Now I have it in both ears though :lac:

Have you decided whether you'll go private?

MobileChicane
16-01-19, 17:07
From an ear infection. Now I have it in both ears though :lac:

Have you decided whether you'll go private?

I will be doing hearing tests and the next consultation privately. My GP said my left eardrum looked infected and was given Amoxicillin on 27/12. The blockage seemingly got better but the tinnitus remained and eventually went to my right ear.

How does that even work? How can the tinnitus just decide to come in an uneffected ear?