PDA

View Full Version : In limbo for the next 2 weeks! Please help!

Limeslime
18-01-19, 16:38
I went to see my GP today about a lump under my right armpit which appeared just before Xmas. It started tiny and just felt like an ingrow hair, then in the space of a week it grew to approx 2cm x1cm. It’s beneath the skin, firm and painless.
I thought it was just an infection and treated it with heat compresses and tried to leave it alone. But it didn’t change over the next three weeks. It just lingered there, not getting harder nor softer, not coming to a head or draining.
So I went to my GP expecting reassurance.

Didn’t happen.

She was obsessed with finding a lymph node in the same armpit that I had mentioned at my last appointment in early December (which at the time I was reassured was a normal, healthy node!) she couldn’t find it.

She said my lump feels superficial but she cannot be sure what it is, so to take antibiotics for a week and see if it changes! If not, I have to go back to her in two weeks.

I asked what she thinks it might be if the antibiotics don’t work...and she said “a swollen glad that isn’t behaving as normal.”
Those words have sent a shiver down my spine, and I know my HA is gonna be flaring for the next 2 weeks over this!

I’m so scared. Am I right in thinking that she is suggesting cancer?! The idea of going down that route and going to breast clinic etc is terrifying me!

I guess I just need an outsiders perspective on this appointment. Am i over reacting?

unicorndusy
20-01-19, 12:20
I went to see my GP today about a lump under my right armpit which appeared just before Xmas. It started tiny and just felt like an ingrow hair, then in the space of a week it grew to approx 2cm x1cm. It’s beneath the skin, firm and painless.
I thought it was just an infection and treated it with heat compresses and tried to leave it alone. But it didn’t change over the next three weeks. It just lingered there, not getting harder nor softer, not coming to a head or draining.

Didn’t happen.

She was obsessed with finding a lymph node in the same armpit that I had mentioned at my last appointment in early December (which at the time I was reassured was a normal, healthy node!) she couldn’t find it.

She said my lump feels superficial but she cannot be sure what it is, so to take antibiotics for a week and see if it changes! If not, I have to go back to her in two weeks.

I asked what she thinks it might be if the antibiotics don’t work...and she said “a swollen glad that isn’t behaving as normal.”
Those words have sent a shiver down my spine, and I know my HA is gonna be flaring for the next 2 weeks over this!

I’m so scared. Am I right in thinking that she is suggesting cancer?! The idea of going down that route and going to breast clinic etc is terrifying me!

I guess I just need an outsiders perspective on this appointment. Am i over reacting?

Hi,

I know how hard it can be when you go for reassurance but instead your doctor says that they need to run tests/not sure what it is. However, every time this has happened to me the tests have come back clear and everything has been okay. Your doctor has done the right thing by putting you on antibiotics and it most likely is benign. If your doctor was really concerned they would have sent you straight away for tests rather than wait another two weeks. Please try not to panic (easier said than done I know)

Mrs Anxious
21-01-19, 12:06

Didn’t happen.

Hello Lime,

Not sure if you are male or female but if female lumps can pop up during menstruation

I don’t think the doctor is suggesting you have cancer but as they say a gland that isnt playing ball, have you any other symptoms?

Limeslime
22-01-19, 11:14
Hi, thanks for your replies!

I’m 35 years old and female.

No other symptoms and not due my period for another 10 days, but I’ve had this lump for a month anyway!

I’ve been on the antibiotics for 4 days now. When I touch the lump, I’m sure it has gotten smaller and softer. But when I raise my arm and look in the mirror, the lump looks bigger!!! So I’m very confused!

I’m sure the antibiotics (flucloxicillan) are playing havoc with my anxiety meds (citalopram) too, as my anxiety is worse than ever right now!

JonS86
22-01-19, 21:08
If you have health anxiety then the more you interact with the health system the more it will play up. All will be well, have confidence, keep occupied and accept that you’ll feel anxious over this. Good luck x

Limeslime
23-01-19, 13:27
If you have health anxiety then the more you interact with the health system the more it will play up. All will be well, have confidence, keep occupied and accept that you’ll feel anxious over this. Good luck x

This is really good advice! Thank you!
I am averaging one visit to my GP every month. It’s an improvement on this time last year when I was going weekly!

JonS86
23-01-19, 23:58
This is really good advice! Thank you!
I am averaging one visit to my GP every month. It’s an improvement on this time last year when I was going weekly!

I assume you’ve talked to your GP about your health anxiety? And not just symptoms. Have you tried hypnotherapy, anti depressants or a serious exercise
Routine?